Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
clean it up, It'll be good, mine was the same way. radio shack - electrical componet cleaner/lube, its simalar to WD-40.
Seriously, WD-40 is called WD-40 because they were attempting to formulate a spray that would Displace Water; hence Water Displacer 40 because WD-1 thru WD-39 didn't work.

WD-40 is not a lubricant. It's a Water Displacer and that's it.

Just FYI.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Seriously, WD-40 is called WD-40 because they were attempting to formulate a spray that would Displace Water; hence Water Displacer 40 because WD-1 thru WD-39 didn't work.

WD-40 is not a lubricant. It's a Water Displacer and that's it.

Just FYI.
No Seriously, what I said was its similar to, I didnt describe any specifics, (such as similar to in consistency and odor) nor did I recommend using it, although some people do.
WD-40 was designed as you said to displace water, by an aerospace contractor, used to keep the outer shell of missles from rusting. often used as a lubricant, personally I dont own a can, so I dont know what it says on the can.

the cleaner/lubricant I was reffering to is specificlly for electronic componets, but has a similar oder, consistency, and wieght to it.

just - FYI
hope that cleared things up for you a little on my part.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Will this be plug and play or will I have to do some wiring work in order to make it function correctly?

Damian

Pretty sure you would need to make an adapter - the Honda part has a connector not used on most cars. The car flasher/relay I bought has 1/4" push-on connectors - so I bought the connector that Honda uses and made my own adapter cable.
If you go to the trouble of adapting the connections, get a solid state flasher than can work with regular bulbs and/or L.E.D. replacements and doesn't change flash rate with temp or voltage changes.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Bi metal strip flashers on a 2001 model, wow, of course they won't work in the cold weather, they must be well covered, shielded from any cold wind, well the strip anyway..I should have read all the threads before posting..but they work because the bulbs use current which causes the connecting wires to heat up, these are joined by two pieces of metal both respond to different temperatures, as they get hot one of them bends away from the other breaking the circuit and thus stopping the current flow, this cools the wire down which makes the bend the other way joining them together again and starting to heat up the wire again this goes on until you stop the current by switching the indicator switch off..so when you first switch the indicator on it should light..if it doesnt you have a dirty contact point on the bi metal strip and it needs a gentle clean, probably with cardboard or very fine emery paper, if it comes on and stays on you could have a badly burned contact which is gripping or the contacts are exposed to cold wind and just don't heat up enough.

John.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
ok, someone told me to check all the bulbs, one question about this. If both front turn signals work as running lights (dimmer than blinkers) and then get brighter if I try to use the turn signal, left turn signal makes left light brighter, right does the same with the right signal, this tells me that both filaments are fine in front, right? in the back they don't act as running lights, single filament bulbs, but both light up when I try to use them as turn signals (not both at the same time, just which ever one I try to use as a turn signal, so in my mind this alone tells me all 4 bulbs are fine. I know its not the switch because it does light up which ever side I am trying to get blink. This leaves me with a bad flasher unit or?

EDIT:if I buy a new stock relay does that mean I can't replace my bulbs with LED bulbs?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
ok, someone told me to check all the bulbs, one question about this. If both front turn signals work as running lights (dimmer than blinkers) and then get brighter if I try to use the turn signal, left turn signal makes left light brighter, right does the same with the right signal, this tells me that both filaments are fine in front, right? in the back they don't act as running lights, single filament bulbs, but both light up when I try to use them as turn signals (not both at the same time, just which ever one I try to use as a turn signal, so in my mind this alone tells me all 4 bulbs are fine. I know its not the switch because it does light up which ever side I am trying to get blink. This leaves me with a bad flasher unit or?

EDIT:if I buy a new stock relay does that mean I can't replace my bulbs with LED bulbs?
Yes sounds like a bad flasher relay, Check the bulbs for correct wattage, seated properly. did they work previously?
check the ground at the relay first before replacing it. If the ground is good, replace the relay.

if you use a stock relay you will have to do other things to use the led signal bulbs.
load equalizers -
diodes on the signal indicator posibly, not 100% sure on that model.
Go with the electronic relay. No load equalizers, I'm not sure if you have 1 or 2 indicators for turn signals.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
well, when I checked the wires going into the flasher relay, with one probe on the center terminal and one on the one side I read voltage, but when I try the same thing with the other side, no voltage so center to one side = voltage, center to the other side = no voltage. of course the voltage only shows up when I push the turn signal switch over. I tried the switch in both right and left and still no voltage between center and the one other connection.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
FIXED!!!!!

I found out that some how water got inside the relay, I sprayed it with contact cleaner and WD40 after doing everything I could to shake out the water. Then to be sure I got a hair drier and aimed it at the relay about 6" away and let it blow on each side for about 15 minutes per side and then another 20 minutes aimed at the bottom. I plugged it back in after all this and it works perfectly.

One question, I noticed two small holes on the top of the relay where the terminals are, can I seal them with silicone goop?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
well, when I checked the wires going into the flasher relay, with one probe on the center terminal and one on the one side I read voltage, but when I try the same thing with the other side, no voltage so center to one side = voltage, center to the other side = no voltage. of course the voltage only shows up when I push the turn signal switch over. I tried the switch in both right and left and still no voltage between center and the one other connection.
If the relay was connected when you tried this, you may have been looking at the voltage drop. The bulb would drop all the voltage, so the meter will show nothing unless you had resistance in the relay that would drop some of the voltage.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts