Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday was our trip to Moonshine. It was only 34 degrees when I left home and I noticed that my turn signals were very slow to come on. When I turned them on I could see the front blinker go out then start blinking maybe 15 seconds later. It did this until it warmed up later in the day. I've never ridden below 50 degrees before and have never had this issue. Any ideas what I should be checking? It did it for both right and left sides.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Have you removed/cleaned the turn signal box/switch on the handlebar before? If not it's probably gummed up with lots of old/hard grease and residue. MY bike was doing the same thing after I tuned it up a few weeks ago.

I removed the switch on the handlebar and took it apart with a small phillips screwdriver. Only a few parts, small screws. I cleaned out all the junk in there with q-tips and alcohol. I then squirted a bunch of di-electric grease in the switch, re-assembled it, and clicked it about 20-30 times in each direction to work all the grease in.

After that it's been working fine for me. There are metal contacts in there that get gummed up and dirt will stop the points from making contact. Not sure why the cold affects it more, maybe because it causes the grease to gel and thicken even more.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They worked fine before this day and they worked fine after it warmed up that day. They work fine today but its 67 degrees out today. I suppose the grease could be thicker causing an issue. I'll have to look into that.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Electricity travels at the speed of light, 186,000 miles a second, the bulbs or LED's work very quickly, in the case of bulbs there are only so many places that can cause the electricity to slow down by such a degree, the switch not making good contact the socket not making good contact and the turn signal relay faulty. all three and the connections to them should be checked.

With LED's you have to add the dropper relays in the LED clusters.

John.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,027 Posts
Bimetal flasher units can some times cause problems in the cold, the're cheap and easy to change.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bimetal flasher units can some times cause problems in the cold, the're cheap and easy to change.
Im pretty sure it has to do with the flasher unit as well. The little metal piece heats up and bends to disconnect the contact. If its SUPER cold, i.e. freezing...well you get the idea.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,108 Posts
There are very few of those bi-metal flasher units on our Shadows today, unless it is a very OLD Shadow...
An Electronic unit came on my 98 model ACE...

Clean the switch is FREE!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I thought I would follow up on this by posting my discovery tonight. I took apart the flasher switch housing and cleaned it all up. It was indeed really dirty and the grease that was in there was thick and actually hard to scrub off. Anyway, I got it all cleaned off and re-assembled (didn't lose the spring and ball). :D It works fine but it's now 67 degrees out so I probably wont know if it is "fixed" until later this year when it gets cold again.

Here is before and after.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,108 Posts
Just ride norther, it`s still cool up yonder...
I`m enjoying this cool spell we got going on here!!!
Just right for camping this weekend...

I`m glad you read cleaning 101 about that warning on parts escaping from us, IF we ain`t careful...
You mention thick, dirty and all, I feel you`ll be OK...

Way to GO!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.