Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the serious lack of twisties in the Chicago area, I thought this thread would be a good place to post our favorite roads and routes.

The only close ride with changes in direction and elevation is on Sheridan road, near Highland Park. It travels through a ravine and has some reducing radius turns and sweepers while changing directions....very nice....short, but nice.

Also, I like riding through the lagoons on Forest Way between Dundee and Willow, just east of the Edens expressway. Either exit will take you to this nice but short ride. Nice views of the water, good places to stop and smell the roses, very nice long sweepers, decent speed limit (45 or so, but most people drive 55 and ride 65 8) Again, just too short.

A guy on another forum mentioned Rt. 33 in Wisconsin, but I have yet to venture to those parts. sAid it was comparable to the dragon...I wonder.

Any good routes you may be aware of, I would love to hear about them. A good twisty is just too hard to find.

- Dan

·
Registered
162 Posts
Illinois is really short on good twisty roads but the Galena area in NW Illinois has a lot of good roads. Just mapquest or google the area and you'll be able to find something to your liking. Closer to Chicago is the rte 2 ride along the Rock river from Rockford to Dixon -not really twisty but a nice ride.

billp

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yes, riding along rivers usually can reveal some decent roads to ride, scenic and often curvy too. Hit those river towns and get some local sites or food in.
Tim

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
earl60446 said:
Yes, riding along rivers usually can reveal some decent roads to ride, scenic and often curvy too. Hit those river towns and get some local sites or food in.
Tim
Looks like the Fox River ride south on the way to Starved Rock is a bit twisty - good idea on following the rivers. Will google map Illinois when I get a chance.

-Dan

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just as you leave Savanna heading north turn right on Clay St. It goes just east of the Palasaids park and has some very nice twisties very little traffic and good senery.
Head up to Wisconsin and go to Spring Green west of Madison. You'll find an abundance of twisty roads with elevation changes. I haven't been there my self but some sport bike buddies recommended it. It you google the area and select the terrain feature you get a good idea of what it's like. If there's any interest I'm up for a day trip if dates can be agreed on.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Red03ACE said:
Just as you leave Savanna heading north turn right on Clay St. It goes just east of the Palasaids park and has some very nice twisties very little traffic and good senery.
Head up to Wisconsin and go to Spring Green west of Madison. You'll find an abundance of twisty roads with elevation changes. I haven't been there my self but some sport bike buddies recommended it. It you google the area and select the terrain feature you get a good idea of what it's like. If there's any interest I'm up for a day trip if dates can be agreed on.
Will let you know when I can make it up that way - even though you're a Sox fan...

go Cubs!

-Dan

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dan,

Right now a week from Sunday looks like a good possibility. It's a long day so leaving early would be a good idea. I'd like to go to Spring Green in Cheddarland if that's fine with you. And don't expect me to keep up with you if you're riding one of those crotch rockets. :)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Red03ACE said:
Dan,

Right now a week from Sunday looks like a good possibility. It's a long day so leaving early would be a good idea. I'd like to go to Spring Green in Cheddarland if that's fine with you. And don't expect me to keep up with you if you're riding one of those crotch rockets. :)

You made the point in your last posts - not in a position to fix a date with any certainty at the moment.

Sounds like a good ride tho.

- Dan

·
Registered
11 Posts
North IL

This morning me and a few others went out for a ride then breakfast, we farm road hopped...Crystal Lake through Bull Valley then over to Wonder Lake and then over to Hebron...55MPH there, long wooded hilly roads...was a great ride about 3 hours

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a buddy in Cary, Illinois and we have free Harley rentals for 24 hours, unlimited mileage. We're thinking a camping trip, and some of these rides may make the list. Supposedly, there are some good rides in some unknown roads in WI - I'll get back to you guys hopefully with some new info.

Guy on FZ1oa (another forum) says he has mapped out rides comparable to the Dragon in Wisconsin. Will report back soon.

- Dan

·
Registered
152 Posts
Starved Rock area is always good for a ride. Boone county has some decent old farm roads as well. You really just have to go get yourself lost to find the good ones. Isn't that the point anyway?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Join me and the boys for The Snake. US 421 between Bristol and Mountain City. All are welcome. Bring your camera. You don't want to miss this one. August 8th. I got motel rooms reserved at the EconoLodge. Send me a message if you're interested. I'll fill you in on the details.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I know a short and tight twistie in Wisconsin. Just happened upon it today actually. The appropriately named Snake Rd off of HWY 50 in Lake Geneva.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Illinois is really short on good twisty roads but the Galena area in NW Illinois has a lot of good roads. Just mapquest or google the area and you'll be able to find something to your liking. Closer to Chicago is the rte 2 ride along the Rock river from Rockford to Dixon -not really twisty but a nice ride.

billp
The Galena ride is definitely a good one. Hills, twists, sweepers, switchbacks, great views...you name it it's there. You can head north out of town and follow the stagecoach trail for another fun ride or head south down Blackjack Rd to Savanna if you want something a little more intense with nice views.

There's plenty of good rides in Northern Illinois. You just have to venture away from the cement to find them.

In fact, we just made the Galena trip today. Headed north on the Stagecoach Trail and looped up through Wisconsin on our way back. 250 miles for the day and loved every second of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
No shortage of twisty roads around me, some elevated with great views

A pic from Yesterday

can sort of see the type of roads we have, We went on some more interesting tight roads after that, One day I will have the camera running for these roads... but for now here is a bit of footage of one I like, Not overly tight but still fun :D

Another Iconic road..... some is gravel and narrow so not for everyone (if the link works)

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@-39.1533952,174.7112928,15z?hl=en

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you are looking for a fun ride start in Dodgeville Wi and follow 23 20mi north to Spring Green. Head 25 miles west on Highway 60 along the Wisconsin river to Sauk City. All of that is 55MPH two lane and it is a great ride right there but if you need more follow 12 north and look for signs for Devil's Lake State Park also get lost riding around there and Moon Valley, Merrimac and Lake Wisconsin. Loads of cliffs, overlooks, lakes, switchbacks, long bends, tight turns and cows. They make up for having ****ty sports teams by having some of the best scenery in the Midwest. I'm not even sure if there is a bad road in the area. I do not live there but I've been here 10+ times and always find a new road with things to see but my wife says I am a "View hore" and I'll look at anything.

Another good ride is to start in Dubuque, Iowa and follow US20 to Galena then follow Blackjack road to Hanover the continue south to Savanna (45ish miles). Cross the Steel (cheese grater) bridge into Iowa and follow 52 north back to Dubuque. If you are feeling a little more adventurous continue south on the Great River Road on the Illinois side until you come to East Clinton and cross into Clinton Iowa then head north on Iowa's Great River Road.

Want to SEE that? Follow this link to a video I made

Go Hawks! Go Cubs! Puck the Fackers.

·
Registered
801 Posts
This is a copy I put on another forum.

Just start out in Boscobel,WI. head north on ANY alphabet road to Wildcat Mountain , then do The Mindoro Cut, Then To La Crosse and Grandads Bluff.
'

54348.3 in reply to 54348.1
I could go on and on about The Driftless Area, but I`ll try to make it short.

Make sure you hit

Wildcat Mountain -

The Mindoro Cut-

At the North end of The Mindoro Cut you can stop to eat here - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Dawgs-Pub-Grub/422290384451220

' http://www.foodchallenges.com/challenges/the-top-dawgs-4lb-burger-challenge-mindoro-wisconsin/

If you have time go to Arcadia,WI. and ride the scenic roads south and west of town including Alligator Slide Road.

Ride to La Crosse , WI. and go up to Grandad`s Bluff. If you ride up fast enough, your ears will pop!

While in La Crosse eat at Buzzard Billys - New Orleans & American Cuisine | Buzzard Billy's Restaurant | La Crosse, WI

In Boscobel WI. here`s a good place for a early morning breakfast - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unique-Cafe/115034491847668

Unique Cafe, Boscobel - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

I like staying here in Boscobel,WI. - The River Inn Motel, Boscobel hotels, suites, near state snowmobile trails, Southwest Wisconsin lodging, hotel reservations, Wisconsin

'

If you`re going take a "Flower Sniffing" ride on The Great river Road, stop here for a burger - Smokin' Chokin' and Chowing with the King: Pete's Hamburgers: Since 1909

'

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.