Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, chrome looks nice BUT the tank mounted speedo housing is REALLY pi$$ing me off I'm constantly getting blinded by the sun getting reflected into my eyes, so I'm going to try plastidipping it.
Two, that seat is an abomination, my butt and back are really aching right now after what feels like I've been riding for an eternity but was only a couple hours, when I was five my A hole brothers pushed me off of the top bunk bed resulting in a cracked tail bone and it's been sensitive ever since.
The density of the foam is not the problem it's the contour, it is way off, so I'm breaking out the Roloc disks and little die grinder and finally shape the foam for MY butt.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
699 Posts
Hated the chrome reflection on the Spirit tank speedo, painted it black after the second day I rode it.

Reactions: kesanders

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,486 Posts
plastidip doesn't like gasoline and the filler cap runs right through it.
You can get replacements in black from China, it's just plastic anyway.
The other approach baring severe mods is the Froth's paint it black approach, of course when it comes to paint there is a vast palette to choose from other than black and a lot of faux finishes too.

I hardly look at mine when I'm riding unless I'm needing to closely modulate my speed, it really is a stupid place to put a speedometer.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
plastidip doesn't like gasoline and the filler cap runs right through it.
You can get replacements in black from China, it's just plastic anyway.
The other approach baring severe mods is the Froth's paint it black approach, of course when it comes to paint there is a vast palette to choose from other than black and a lot of faux finishes too.

I hardly look at mine when I'm riding unless I'm needing to closely modulate my speed, it really is a stupid place to put a speedometer.
Thanks for the tip.
Well at least I took care of the seat.
Before

After

Much better

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eventually I'd like to make a custom molded foam for it, soon I'm going to order a two part expanding foam sample kit from Smooth-on, I want to see if the density is suitable for a motorcycle seat, if it is good I'll figure out a way to make a cast of my butt then make a mold over the seat pan.
Well, that's kinda the plan at the moment

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,486 Posts
Try this link shadow Ace speedometer – Buy shadow Ace speedometer with free shipping on AliExpress version
There is usually one or two manufacturers of this stuff and then a bunch of stores.

It is pretty amazing what is available out there on ALIExpress, I'm in Canada I've purchased stuff off there since COVID-19 and had it beat Amazon US sourced stuff to my door step, quality is the same crap shoot.
I often find eBay sellers are just another set of hands on the same items.
Like anything else read recent reviews, stay away from low rated sellers.

·
Registered
1999 Aero 1100
76 Posts
I feel your pain about the busted tail bone. I broke mine too. Also owned a Shadow 750 for a short time and agree, the seat is not good. I did major adjustments to the contour, by removing foam and adding layers of foam to change the bucket shape to a flatter profile. My Aero 1100 is not much better, I went with an old Buddy seat mounted on springs which is a huge improvement and the springs augment the lack luster suspension.

·
Premium Member
2015 Shadow Aero, 1972 Triumph 650 Tiger
757 Posts
.....................when I was five my A hole brothers pushed me off of the top bunk bed resulting in a cracked tail bone and it's been sensitive ever since.
I'm a former chiropractor. Have you seen a chiro who is decent at adjusting? Some can't adjust worth a [email protected] Or maybe some physical therapy modality might be in order like ultrasound, acupuncture or electrical stimulation. Many chiropractors do, indeed, provide modalities including acupuncture. I'd look into them if you already haven't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts