Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old man (TeXaSbLuEsMaN) and I get out and go to a sporting event a couple of times a year to stay in touch and bond and all that good stuff. A couple of months ago we had gotten tickets to the U.S. / Guatamal Soccer game in Frisco on 3/28/07. We had planned to just take Wednesday afternnon and Thursday morning off and run down in the cage (350 miles each way). However, as of Tuesday night the weather was great and the warm weather had us both itching to ride (he has an 02 VTX 1800). We decided to take the bikes. It was a rather uneventful trip, but it it was great to log over 700 miles with great company. The game was so/so, but we had great seats. The only good bike related stories were a pretty solid rainstorm between Witchita Falls and Vernon on the way back, riding the haindicap ramp out of the parking lot at the game to save an hour of waiting in traffic, and a couple of guys checking the bikes out after the game. Good times and uneventful. My kind of trip. However, after logging 700+ miles in 24 hours without any problems I am getting the itch to log another IB this summer :roll: . I may have to get with lonestarrider about his "in-Texas" route this time :twisted: . I am kind of exited because I have not gotten a chance to log more than 200 miles at a time since my daughter was born almost a year ago. I had almost forgotten how much I like doing a bit of distance riding.

· Registered
2,601 Posts
Speaking of IB, I was looking at the map recently (no, I'm not doing one) and I realized that you can hit 5 states (Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas) riding a loop out of the southeast corner of Colorado. You could stretch that out to include Utah and Arizona and it looks like it would be a little over 1,000 miles. Instead of doing it all in Texas, you could make it a 7 state Iron Butt. Just a thought.

sanoke

· Registered
1994 Honda Shadow VT1100C.
1,390 Posts
Kyle and John

Don't be plannin' no Iron Butt rides for me, boys. I figger I shall be travelling more miles in the space of a month than I do ordinarily in several years, hahaha.

The clock is ticking, mates. See ya both pretty soon.

Respect

Collector

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Collector said:
Kyle and John

Don't be plannin' no Iron Butt rides for me, boys. I figger I shall be travelling more miles in the space of a month than I do ordinarily in several years, hahaha.

Respect

Collector
:twisted: Graham, as I was riding back yesterday I thought, ya know... we could see a LOT of Texas in the saddle doing an IB. It looks like I will be able to borrow a bike so you can ride mine when the time comes. Even if you are not up for an IB, we can definately see some of the Texas Panhandle.

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sanoke said:
Speaking of IB, I was looking at the map recently (no, I'm not doing one) and I realized that you can hit 5 states (Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas) riding a loop out of the southeast corner of Colorado. You could stretch that out to include Utah and Arizona and it looks like it would be a little over 1,000 miles. Instead of doing it all in Texas, you could make it a 7 state Iron Butt. Just a thought.

sanoke
Hey San, I actually got my first IB riding up to Denver from a little bit south of here. I also did a five stater from here. In about 450 miles you can hit OK, KS, CO, NM, and of course TX. That was my first long ride on this bike several years ago.

I had never thought of heading to Utah or AZ. I guess the downside to that would be the 1,000 miles to get back home. Between my great trip this week and a little "nudging" ya'll really have my wheels turning. LOL.

See you this summer.

· Registered
1,390 Posts
kingham said:
Collector said:
Kyle and John

Respect

Collector
:twisted: Graham, as I was riding back yesterday I thought, ya know... we could see a LOT of Texas in the saddle doing an IB. It looks like I will be able to borrow a bike so you can ride mine when the time comes. Even if you are not up for an IB, we can definately see some of the Texas Panhandle.
Cool, bro. I have got all my stuff sorted now. Just gotta get my international driving permit to go with my UK license and I am good to go.

And there is the not insignificant matter of where me an Sanoke are gonna hook up wid ya. Maybe you might want to pm John and agree a meeting point, coz I have NO idea :) The only thing I know about Texas is that Texans reckon it quite big ;)

Rock 'n roll

Collector

· Registered
2,601 Posts
Collector said:
Kyle and John

Respect

Collector
Well now Graham, with all that sitting you'll be doing on your traveling, your butt should be in good shape for a long ride. :wink: My Shadow is quite comfy so you should be just fine. Looking forward to it!

SSLB John

· Registered
859 Posts
Sounds like you had a good ride and a much deserved one at that. I tell you, Texas has that effect on folks when it comes to traveling on the open road. You want to go more than there is daylight.
Anytime you want to go, it doesn't take much for me to get gathered up for a ride. Kingham, I might make my ride in Apirl a 2 day event instead of three. That would earn you a Bun Burner 1500 (1500 miles in 48 hours).
Sanoke, I am planning a 24 hr/ 1500 mile trip (Bun Burner Gold) as I write and one of the routes is a multi-state ride in the SW for the fall. Hopefully in June when I head your way we can meet up. I plan on returning home by Arizona and try to meet Tucson Don out on the road between here and there.
Graham, I am hoping I can ride along with you and Kingham in July. Once you get started on a ride in the Texas Panhandle you'll travel over 200 miles and not even notice it. I'll guarn-damn-tee yuh!

· Registered
1,390 Posts
lonestarrider said:
Sounds like you had a good ride and a much deserved one at that. I tell you, Texas has that effect on folks when it comes to traveling on the open road. You want to go more than there is daylight.
Anytime you want to go, it doesn't take much for me to get gathered up for a ride. Kingham, I might make my ride in Apirl a 2 day event instead of three. That would earn you a Bun Burner 1500 (1500 miles in 48 hours).
Sanoke, I am planning a 24 hr/ 1500 mile trip (Bun Burner Gold) as I write and one of the routes is a multi-state ride in the SW for the fall. Hopefully in June when I head your way we can meet up. I plan on returning home by Arizona and try to meet Tucson Don out on the road between here and there.
Graham, I am hoping I can ride along with you and Kingham in July. Once you get started on a ride in the Texas Panhandle you'll travel over 200 miles and not even notice it. I'll guarn-damn-tee yuh!
Great! Because if I try to ride 200 miles sideways from where I live I fall off the edge :lol:

Collector

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.