Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had to rebuild the slave cylinder. Watched a few videos, and seemed pretty straight forward. After taking it apart, it was clear what 10 years of sitting can do to the inside of the mechanism. I was cleaning the crap out of cylinder in the bike and noticed there was a spacer with a cut out moving around. I was able to pull it out, and realized I never saw this piece in the videos. It sits between the piston and the rubber seal going into the crankcase. When I was cleaning it, I notice what I thought was grease was on the back of it. Anyways, I can't find it in the rebuild section of the manual. So anyone know about this part? Does it need to have some grease applied before I install the rebuilt slave cylinder? It looks like the cutout on this spacer lines up with a notch in the cylinder on the bike. Sorry I don't have pictures now, but can get some later today

·
Registered
16,269 Posts
Yes 10 years of OLD FLUID will gumm things up...
We change fluids @ 50,000 regardless !!!
OLD Fluids cause damage!

I`m Proud to Ride HONDA!!!
D

166,000+ on the clock

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
Probably a support or guide plate for the rod I would imagine.
Or a piston stop?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably a support or guide plate for the rod I would imagine.
Or a piston stop?
OK makes sense. Would something like this need grease? I can't imagine why, but when I took it out and cleaned it, it looked like there was some grease on it. This would be on internal side of that guide plate, not facing the piston.

edit: perhaps to a touch of grease where the rod goes through?

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
They may have put grease on it to hold it in place while assembling the slave so it doesn't shift out of it's groove. I have done that many times. A touch of grease on the shaft would be good too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They may have put grease on it to hold it in place while assembling the slave so it doesn't shift out of it's groove. I have done that many times. A touch of grease on the shaft would be good too.
Once again you the man!!! Thanks for your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
jmsanch
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing