Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my boss calls me today and asks me out of the blue if I would be willing to relocate to Wilmington NC. I said, " You want me to answer that now???? Uhhh, over the phone??" He said, " Uh, yeah." I said, "If you want an answer now, its going to be no. If I can let it process a little bit, I'll give you an answer in a few days.". He said, "Okay, let me know".

That is 800 miles from "home".

So, I guess my question is, does anyone on here live near there? What's the weather like, summer and winter? What kind of state is North Carolina to live in? Do you like it? Any good riding there? I live in the Midwest so cost of living is pretty low, how is it there?

I could Google all this, but I would really like to here it first hand.

Any help would be appreciated:):

Jason

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
There's no place like home...
Back home again......in Indiana....

just saying. :)

Hope you make the right decision for yourself and family.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: My son lives near there somewhere. It's on the coast. About 100,000 people so nice size. It's a Southern town. Not as redneck as some but...still Southern. You can pretty much ride year around. It doesn't get any hotter than Kansas and ya get the offshore coolness of the ocean. After living in Indiana...it'd feel like a vacation spot.

My daughter lives in Boone NC. She finished her Masters there but is staying till HE finishes his Bachelor degree. Boone is in the mountains on the West side of NC. Whole different story there. Weather isn't good. Rains a lot, snow and colder than chit. :shock:

If I was going to have to move from Kansas...yeah...I'd do NC on the ocean. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Corporate called me again. They want me to go bad. The money is right. Evansville is my home. Not sure about leaving. I would have to pull the kids out of school half way through the year. They will pay for housing for the first year, plus a HUGE raise. I will keep my company vehicle. Lots to think about. If I didn't have kids, it would be a no brainer.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Do it. It sounds like a good opportunity, with a huge raise and free housing for a year. I take it you are fairly young as are you kids. They will adjust, as will you. I believe in having as many experiences as possible in life, especially if someone else is paying.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'm kind of leaning in that direction. The kids want to go. The wife is not sure, but she is not totally against it. Since they are paying for a house for a year, I could keep my house in Indiana for a while in case I decide that its not for me, I guess.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would still like to hear more about Wilmington from some of you that have been there or in that area. I mean, is it a place you would move your family to?

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Wilmington is a fine place to live, I haven't lived there but have visited off and on. Of course like any town there are area's you don't want to live in.
You state the job will provide housing, so leave the kids and wife at home to let the kids finish the school year. You can visit weekends, skype during the week. This I have done. I moved for my job 5-6 times in 30yrs. The kids will adjust easier than you or the wife. Sounds like you have an opportunity to advance your career with this company.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Wilmington is a fine place to live, I haven't lived there but have visited off and on. Of course like any town there are area's you don't want to live in.
You state the job will provide housing, so leave the kids and wife at home to let the kids finish the school year. You can visit weekends, skype during the week. This I have done. I moved for my job 5-6 times in 30yrs. The kids will adjust easier than you or the wife. Sounds like you have an opportunity to advance your career with this company.
OUTSTANDING advice. In this day and age, any opportunity to move upward and onward should be taken with pride. And now with the technology that exists ie skype, facetime etc, living away for a few short months is easier than ever. Sounds like NC is a real nice place. They have great sports teams too.

I vote " GO FOR IT!"

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've only been with this company for 5 years, and I've moved up the ladder MUCH faster than my last company which I invested 15 years of my life with. They have treated me pretty well and have taken care of me. I still need to iron out all the details, but I think that I am going to go for it.:)

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have moved 52 times in my life (military father and then military and corporate moves for myself). I currently live in Evansville and have lived in Charlotte, NC. I moved there when my girls were 2 and 5 years old. I haven't lived in Wilmington, but have been there on vacation and business plenty of times. If I were in your shoes I would take the move in a heartbeat.

The kids will react mostly in line with the way you and your wife react. If you're excited and positive then they will be. When I moved from Chicago to Evansville my girls were in 6th and 9th grades. I brought the whole family down for our house-hunting trip and my girls loved it. They felt they were a part of the decision and were moving to a new home, not just being dragged away from their current home.

Sounds like you've already made your decision. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,625 Posts
When I was with Berry Plastics in March 04' they sent me to Monroe NC (Charolette area) to check out a position within the company. Would you believe it snowed 12" in one lump some? It was hilarious watching these folk deal with it. We pretty much had the road to ourselves. Nice area, friendly folk, but the housing was a bit inflated for my taste. So here we are still in ole' Indiana.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
I've only been with this company for 5 years, and I've moved up the ladder MUCH faster than my last company which I invested 15 years of my life with. They have treated me pretty well and have taken care of me. I still need to iron out all the details, but I think that I am going to go for it.:)

:shock: You...you're STILL in Indiana? What are you waiting for? And yeah...what E'ville rider said. If you're excited and positive...you're kids will be excited. Make it an adventure for them! Let's see...more money, beach instead of snow, decent weather year around...yeah. No brainer. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
:shock: You...you're STILL in Indiana? What are you waiting for? And yeah...what E'ville rider said. If you're excited and positive...you're kids will be excited. Make it an adventure for them! Let's see...more money, beach instead of snow, decent weather year around...yeah. No brainer. :mrgreen:
Yeah, I'm still here. Still wondering if its the right move. There is a lot of logistics involved in moving halfway across the country. I just can't stop wondering if I'm being selfish. I mean uprooting the kids from the only place that they know as home. The wife has her own home and web based business, which won't be that big of a deal moving. Being web based sales, we don't have to go looking for new clientele. But, the being selfish part makes me wonder. I guess that if I don't go, I will always wonder "What if". The kids say that they want to go, but I'm not sure that they totally understand.

Sorry if I ramble about it, but it is a big decision and I want to be sure I make the right choice.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
I vote go, but I'm "highest bidder" kind of guy. I go where ever they pay me the most....

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Wilmington is a great city, but like any other city, you have to be careful about neighborhoods. Wilmington has some crappy ones. North Carolina is a wonderful state, though many consider it over-taxed. Quality of life is great if you enjoy outdoor activities. Great fishing. Hunting is great except for minimal amounts of public access areas.

As another person who pulled 20+ years active duty, I know that moving cross country is no big deal. Definitely don't not do it because of kids... they're extremely resilient and can adapt a heck of a lot more seamlessly than their parents. It's alway the adults that make moving more of a big deal than it actually is.

Do a bit of research checking school districts and neighborhoods and make the jump. Do what someone else here recommended and go yourself for a bit so you can scout the area before moving the family. It's so easy to stay in touch with family, I can’t think of any reason to not give it a shot. The south in general and North Carolina in particular is a great place to live and raise kids. Consider it an adventure.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I appreciate all of the input from you guys. Some good opinions and info. I will take it all into count.:)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I think you should go for it. It sounds like your company thinks highly of you and a transfer like this should be good for your career. Moving to a new location will be both good and bad. I moved many times over my life. It expands your horizons and makes you a more well rounded person. Rent for the first year and look around before you decide where you want to buy. Keep your house in Indiana. That can be your safety net in case the whole new situation doesn't work out. Good luck with the new opportunity.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
According to the cost of living calculator on bestplaces,net, the cost of living is over all 21% higher in Wilmington. If you made 50K, you have to make 61K to even out. Looks like just housing is 76% more expensive then where your at. I know it was expense for a darn slice of pizza at a mall , like $7.50 slice, I'm not used to those prices, living here in Fl..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts