Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen several discussions on here, but wanted to present my case. I just bought a 1999 Honda Shadow 600 and it is my first bike. I am unsure as to when the fluids, battery, etc. were last changed. The bike runs great and I have not had any problems until the recent blast of cold. If the temperature gets below 30, I cannot seem to get the bike to fire. It sounds like I get a good turnover with the battery and starter, but just can't seem to get the thing to fire. Please send all recommendations that you guys have!! Thanks!
Ok...so here is an update of what I have done. I removed the battery and took it up the road to Batteries Plus. They said the battery looked good and gave it a good charge. Today, I removed the spark plugs. I am attaching a picture to show you what I pulled out. The original plugs are NKG DPR8EA-9 and I put new NKG DPR8EIX-9 Iridiums, gapped at .028 which was recommended in previous posts. Cold weather is coming next week, so we will see what happens...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully I can get mine to start right up in the 20's. We shall see soon enough!! I am hoping the new plugs, gapped at .028, will do the trick. The old ones were gapped at .035

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I would gap the old plugs at .028 just to see if that helps out. It takes less volts to jump .028 than it does to jump .035 and when you have the starter working you get less volts to the plugs. My bike would get its best gas mileage when the plugs were gaped at .035 but it would be hell to start even when the engine was warm. That's why I closed the gap a little, to help it start easier.

Now with the new MOSFET r/r and the better battery my bike starts every time no matter how cold it is or how long it's been since I last rode the bike.

ROD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts