Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Update on my battery.

I have not started my bike for over 6 months(not on any charger the whole time it sat) since Cindy had her accident(Feb 19th). Thought I'd go out and see if it would start, nope not getting any gas. The battery turned over the engine better after 6 months of sitting than the bike ever did with ANY other battery(new or not) I had ran in the past(owned this bike for 14 years). So I took off the seat and hit it with some starter fluid, fired right up then died. Hit it with some more starting fluid and gave it some throttle and what ever was stopping the gas from flowing went some where(I think the blockage got sucked through the jets) and the engine ran like it always did. I did go put fresh gas in it after it started.

This battery is just amazing on how much power it puts out and never ever needing a charger on it(for up to one year) when not riding. Absolutely the best battery I've ever had in any vehicle I've ever owned(cars, bikes, boats or motorhome). Now I just hope it lasts over three years and I'll call it good enough for me.
I'm putting most of my bikes(just got a '04 Wing) up for sale but I will keep in touch with whomever buys my T to keep tabs on the battery.

I bought the LFX18A1-BS12 Shoria battery with 270 CCA, you could also get a little bigger one like the LFX19A4-BS12(285 CCA) if you think you need that much CCA. This battery is around 1/4 the size as the "T" battery that my '98 VT1100-T takes. When I say small, go cut out a temp-let 5.83" X 4.13" X 2.60" and hold it up to the battery in your bike, that is one small battery and it puts out more amp's that any lead/acid or AGM battery that will fit in my bike.

ROD

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,238 Posts
Comparisons of my Shorai to the AGM it replaced:

Things I've noticed since I got it:
o virtually no voltage drop (measured with voltmeter) over prolonged downtime

o no gradual voltage drop after charging system failed -- practically full voltage until suddenly a HUGE drop without warning

o Tender-type float chargers do NOT work. The actually drain the LiFePO battery. A low-amp continuous charger works better -- though I've found absolutely no reason to us a charger at all when the bike's charging system works.

o Prolonged bursts of cranking (to get carb bowls loaded) after extended downtime does not seem to cause any meaningful drop in voltage. (See above.)

o Still charges to full capacity even after a couple of charging-system-failure discharges. Seems a lead-acid battery (including AGM) would have reduced capacity after that. Not the LiFePO.

Been very, very happy with mine. 3 years? Piece of cake. I'm wondering if I'll get 8 years as I did out of my last AGM.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts

Been awhile........eh, sorry to hear about the wife and hope she is doing well.
Good to hear about the battery, I just keep mine on the trickle charger and it's been doing really good, haven't been riding myself have had back problems and surgery, everything doing good at this time.
John

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Eldorado,
Been awhile is right. Hope your back is all good now, I know how bad they can hurt.

From that old pic it must have been cold, I don't break out that old jacket unless its down in the low 30's or 20's. That and I notice that I have a lot more gray hair now. I just bought the Wing but might sell it also, to many cages trying to make me a hood ornament.

Ride Safe My Friend,
ROD

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Update on my battery.

I have not started my bike for over 6 months(not on any charger the whole time it sat) since Cindy had her accident(Feb 19th). Thought I'd go out and see if it would start, nope not getting any gas. The battery turned over the engine better after 6 months of sitting than the bike ever did with ANY other battery(new or not) I had ran in the past(owned this bike for 14 years). So I took off the seat and hit it with some starter fluid, fired right up then died. Hit it with some more starting fluid and gave it some throttle and what ever was stopping the gas from flowing went some where(I think the blockage got sucked through the jets) and the engine ran like it always did. I did go put fresh gas in it after it started.

This battery is just amazing on how much power it puts out and never ever needing a charger on it(for up to one year) when not riding. Absolutely the best battery I've ever had in any vehicle I've ever owned(cars, bikes, boats or motorhome). Now I just hope it lasts over three years and I'll call it good enough for me.
I'm putting most of my bikes(just got a '04 Wing) up for sale but I will keep in touch with whomever buys my T to keep tabs on the battery.

I bought the LFX18A1-BS12 Shoria battery with 270 CCA, you could also get a little bigger one like the LFX19A4-BS12(285 CCA) if you think you need that much CCA. This battery is around 1/4 the size as the "T" battery that my '98 VT1100-T takes. When I say small, go cut out a temp-let 5.83" X 4.13" X 2.60" and hold it up to the battery in your bike, that is one small battery and it puts out more amp's that any lead/acid or AGM battery that will fit in my bike.

ROD
I checked out their website when you first posted about the battery. They recommend that in temps below freezing (32*F) to turn the ignition on and turn on the headlight (well most bikes nowdays do that anyway) for about 5 min. The battery is suppose to get stronger not weaker like lead cell based batteries. You can use an automatic battery charger set for small batteries to charge it or one of their battery charges @ $79.99. The ion batteries are not cheap at almost 3 times that of a lead cell for our T-shaped battery, but weigh less and virtually no maintenance. Hopefully the retail prices will drop as the demand increases. Thanks for the positive report!

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Amazing.
When I was battery shopping, I called BatteryTenders about their Lithium battery.
When I asked about cold weather, they said: not recommended for my area.
Under 40*F, take it out & take it in the house.
Or at Zero*F, would likely freeze & burst.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,238 Posts
You can use an automatic battery charger set for small batteries to charge it or one of their battery charges @ $79.99.
I've had GREAT success with a $10 trickle charger from Harbor Freight that puts out 0.7 amps. (Only reason I needed anything other than the bike's charging system is because my stator failed and I drained the battery.)

The ion batteries are not cheap at almost 3 times that of a lead cell for our T-shaped battery, but weigh less and virtually no maintenance.
Not really. My Shorai only cost double what the last T-shaped POS did -- and I bought that mistake nine years before the Shorai. (I had three of those T-shaped POS batteries in my bike the first four years I owned it so I was really saving money, right?)

The Shorai was only about $16 more than a quality Yuasa AGM when I bought it. Yeah, I was lucky enough to get a brand-spanking-new Honda-badged Yuasa AGM for $42 back in 2003. A fluke. Best price I can find this morning is $132.

Yeah, you can buy cheap batteries. Some are even bargains. Others get to be habits -- and buying a new one every year is not any way to save money.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,238 Posts
Amazing.
When I was battery shopping, I called BatteryTenders about their Lithium battery.
When I asked about cold weather, they said: not recommended for my area.
Under 40*F, take it out & take it in the house.
Or at Zero*F, would likely freeze & burst.
So shop Shorai.

MFR did not recommend changing reg on bike ?
Do you think lithium-ion DC volts are different than lead-acid DC volts?

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,238 Posts
Okay, curiosity got to me. I just worked through Shorai's site to figure out what battery they recommend for my bike today. They've got bad info on my bike -- 1100ACE is listed for model years 2000 through 2007 though it was only made from 1995 through 1999. Whatever. Recommendation is an LFX21-A6-BS12 listed for $230 but generally available for $200 from other online sources.

Since just about all the VT1100s from 1995 through 2007 came with the same battery box and electrical system requirements, I checked out a couple of the other models in Shorai's list. LFX19A4-BS12 is recommended for either Spirit or Sabre (I forget or don't care.) Listed at $200 but generally available for $180.

When I bought my Shorai (spring of 2012), the recommendation was LFX18A1-BS12, list price of $190. (I got mine for $170.) It has lasted three full years despite three complete discharges due to aforementioned problems with bike's electrical system and my attempts to ride home rather than trailering.

The LFX18A1-BS12 weighs 2.3 lbs, is 5.83" by 2.63" by 4.13" (so it fits easily into a VT1100 battery box with room to spare), has the positive terminal on the left and delivers 270 cold cranking amps.

Compare that to the Yuasa HYB16A-AB that came stock on my bike at 8.5 lbs, 6" by 3.625" by 7.0625" and delivered 16AH but unspecified CCA. Or the now-recommended AGM YTZ14S that is 6" by 3.4375" by 4.375" and delivers 230 CCA.

A genuine Yuasa YTZ14S can be purchased on Amazon for $150. (Cheaper no-name "equivalents" can be as low as $38.) A Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 can be purchased on Amazon for $161 or $163 depending on which Amazon vendor you want to use. Smaller price difference than when I bought mine.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,437 Posts
$229 (list) is a bit steep but I guess we need some "pioneers" to explore this new technology just not me. Keep us posted though.
Amazon.com: YUASA YTX14-BS Maintenance Free Battery: Automotive And does say Made in the USA or at least we hope by the time one recieves it. There are Chinese versions for less $$.

This Amazon.com: Yuasa Factory Activated Maintenance Free Battery - YTZ14S YUAM72Z14: Automotive? would be the better AGM of all as you have posted which for my usage/needs is satisfactory. I did read the FAQ on Shoria and found them informative but definitely a different "breed" from the norm to deal with but very informative all the same.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,238 Posts
I guess we need some "pioneers" to explore this new technology just not me.
That's a sentiment I appreciate. It's seldom that I'm willing to venture into the "cutting foreskin of technology" (as a former co-worker called it) but this was an instance that seems to make sense (to me, anyway) given everything that's been happening with electric vehicles over the last decade.

The unique performance characteristics of LI need to be understood before we can appropriately abandon the habitual practices we've adopted using ancient lead-acid technology. The advantages (primarily 1. better current delivery when hot and 2. virtually no energy loss during prolonged storage) are easy to tout. The shortcomings?
So far, I'd consider the sudden drop in the power output* as the biggest. The limited number of discharge cycles (supposedly about 3,000) is impossible to evaluate in a theoretical sense -- hands-on experience in our daily world is required to even begin to guess what it means to a biker. So far, I think it's irrelevant. If I get through another 5 years (or more) with this battery then I will know it is.

------------------------------------
* As stated above, though possibly not clearly enough, my stator failed. That meant no volts on the bike except for those provided by the battery. With a lead-acid battery, this would result in gradually diminishing voltage until the battery was dead -- a telltale sign for those observant enough to notice. Not so with the LI battery. It continues to put out 12 volts until the very second it can't; then the voltage drops to negligible levels (i.e. practically zero). I still don't know how to cope with that other than continuously monitoring output of the charging system.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,238 Posts
And does say Made in the USA or at least we hope by the time one recieves it.
The first link is for a $70 Yuasa battery but it is a YTX14BS, not a YTZ14BS. I have no idea what the difference might be. It does, however, appear that the buyer must put the acid into this battery rather than getting the battery delivered ready to go.

The second link is for a $130 battery that says "Yuasa" only in the web page banner. Inspecting the photo does not reveal the name anywhere on the battery or the box. I'm not claiming that the battery is not manufactured by Yuasa but I see nothing even asserting the Yuasa name designates anything more than a model number.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All I can say is that since I've been on two wheels(1963) that battery is the best I've ever had in a bike. Cold weather doesn't stop it, hot weather doesn't stop it or letting it sit in the bike for over 6 months doesn't even slow it down. The only thing I don't know about this battery is how long will it last.

I love the part where when I get up in the morning, I know my VT1100-T will start and the other Honda riders(and other bikes) are hoping that theirs will start. Can't tell you how many bikes I've jumped this last winter. Most of the guys I ride with now have one or will get one when their battery goes all the way bad.

ROD

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,238 Posts
All I can say is that since I've been on two wheels(1963) that battery is the best I've ever had in a bike.
I'm not there yet. I've only got about 20 total years riding. :mrgreen:

As for the Shorai, so far it is the best I've had except for the AGM it replaced. The Shorai outperforms it but has only lasted 3 years. The AGM lasted 8 -- though it didn't suffer near the abuse the stator failure produced. All in all, if I get two more trouble-free years out of the Shorai then I'll be hard pressed to defend that AGM.

Thing is, the Shorai could be mounted upside down or sideways if the battery case was shaped differently. I've even though about ways to use all the extra space. Haven't come up with a good answer yet.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I've even thought about ways to use all the extra space. Haven't come up with a good answer yet.
Good place to store your bike's registration, insurance card and owners manual in a ziplock bag if you don't want to use the foam padding for a filler.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,238 Posts
Good place to store your bike's registration, insurance card and owners manual in a ziplock bag if you don't want to use the foam padding for a filler.
Insurance and registration are MUCH better stored in my wallet. That's especially a good place if someone else happens to be riding the bike without my permission.

The owner's manual is stored in a zipper bag attached to the back of one of the side covers --thoughtfully provided by Honda. It's even better protected from the elements than the battery case. Someday I might even open that bag and take another look at the MOM.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts