Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
I wanted to know what your thoughts were..
When I purchased my 2002 Shadow Spirit 750, I didn't think my family would like to ride with me has much. I was wrong.. Every time I go around my bike, my daughter wants to ride with me and if its a short ride my wife wants to go. She thinks the seats are too small and will not go more than a 30 mins ride.

I love my Shadow 750 but wish it had more power at times. I do not like to go fast but rather take on the scenery as I ride. I was thinking about upgrading the seat to a Mustang seat

Anyways, I was offered to upgrade to a 2003 VTX 1300 for my 2002 Shadow and some extra cash out of pocket.

I am debating to keeping the Shadow and using some money to do upgrades like the seats ... OR should I go with the VTX1300 which has 24k miles and unknown history. It is at a bike shop and they have added a new battery, New front tire, readjusted the carb and changed out the spark plugs. Other than that the bike is stock.
This is the same shop I purchased my Shadow from and they have excellent rating, but concerns me that there is not history on the bike.
They also had a 2002 Sabre 1100 that was just sold, but but had a chance to sit on it. But I felt like it was too tall.
I am short, so I was on my toes to when touching the ground. On the 1300, my foot was flat and it felt more comfortable.

Would the VTX1300 be worth the jump?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If you ride 2 up quite often, the VTX is definitely worth the upgrade. More power and comfort, albeit with the right seat. 24k miles on a VTX is nothing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a Spirit 1100 now and the 1300 is in my bucket for my next bike. I hve heard grat thing about the bike. I don't think you would be sorry about upgrading, not sure about a bike that has no history I always like to talk to the old owner. Good luck

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've got the 1800 version. They're a good machine as is pretty much anything Honda. It's made to sit low on purpose. That's a good thing for folks who need a lower seating arrangement. The 1300 is really a large bike. Plenty of engine for two-up riding. Plenty of good aftermarket seats made if you decide to go that way. Do a search and look for VTXOA. Owners association. It's all the answers to all the questions you will have about the bike. Congratulations on the upgrade.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
If you ride 2 up quite often, the VTX is definitely worth the upgrade. More power and comfort, albeit with the right seat. 24k miles on a VTX is nothing.
^^^^+1. A VTX (1800) is on my list of bikes to own. The only reason I wouldn't consider a 1300 is I need all the HP I can get to drag my poundage up hills. LOL.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Go with the VTX if you haven't spend a lot of money yet on your 750. How much more are they asking for with the trade? VTX's are a nice bike to ride.
The motorcycle shop is asking 3400 for the VTX but they said that they would work with me. I originally purchased my Shadow from them.
After trade, around 1200 would be out of pocket.

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
Go for it! Love my x, about the same mileage as the one you are talking about!
Bikes don't need a whole lot and they are happy!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
354 Posts
I believe the VTX is the same as any Honda in that it can be expected to go a long way. I believe that as VTX's age you'll see them go over 100,000 easily.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I'm sure the VTX is a fine ride....I came within a day of buying an 05 with 5K on the clock about 4 years ago.

Got me a used VStar 1300 instead. Might want to check them out....a little lighter/little less top heavy, can carry more weight, FI, belt drive.....just sayin';)

The seat is lower too.....that seems like something that might catch your interest under the circumstances. Good luck in your search either way.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,575 Posts
I'm sure the VTX is a fine ride....I came within a day of buying an 05 with 5K on the clock about 4 years ago.

Got me a used VStar 1300 instead. Might want to check them out....a little lighter/little less top heavy, can carry more weight, FI, belt drive.....just sayin';)

The seat is lower too.....that seems like something that might catch your interest under the circumstances. Good luck in your search either way.
+1.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Between the 1300vtx's single throw crank and the extra weight a well tuned 1100 spirit or sabre will give You just as much punch. Now the 1800vtx is a horse of a different color!

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,575 Posts
^^^^^
My same thought also but the VTX 1300 extra weight and ergonomics is better for riding two up. The VTX1800 is just too top heavy thus I went with the Valk instead.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've been on a VTX 1800 for a little less than a year. Heavy, yes. It's a monster. At 1.8 liter, it's the same engine as my Miata but it's squeezed into two cylinders. I haven't noticed any top heavy tendencies, just heavy. I've ridden a GL1200 for several years and the VTX has a much lower seating position which is refreshing. There was a learning curve. I'd been riding 300 Lb. British bikes and the 1200 standard. Those two compared to riding the VTX is a completely different animal. Once I got used to it, I love it. When I work on the wife's Shadow 750 and take it for a test ride, it feels very small in comparison. When I ride my British bike, same thing but it's dangerous because the pedals are opposite. After about six months on the VTX I'm a big fan of the bike.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Between the 1300vtx's single throw crank and the extra weight a well tuned 1100 spirit or sabre will give You just as much punch. Now the 1800vtx is a horse of a different color!
As someone with a 1300, I respectfully say that statement is about full of it :D

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
As someone with a 1300, I respectfully say that statement is about full of it :D

yeah... kinda makes the harley guys cringe.... but on their 1200, 1300 or 1400+ they can describe my tail lights, if they are quick about it. as to the 1300vtx, i was considering the heavier cruisers, not the fury. your fury is very stripped down, so the weight advantage i have is diminished. your 100mph governor could hold you back on top end... if you still have a working one. right off the showroom floor, the 1100's are not so much, don't know about the fury.. however, as we know, dynajets, k&n, open exhaust..... and perhaps a 4* advance and the 1100c/spirit/sabre really wakes up and rises to its potential. and therein lies the source of more than a few bigger bike's tears. your bike however is not impeded by an antiquated cam to pushrod to tappet system... so much like the victory, you're getting more power from the crank to the heads. but your single throw crank is costing at least 10hp and maybe more as is so with the ace and the aero. unlike the victory, you are fluid cooled, so closer tolerances... tighter engine operation. all these things considered, you just might "kickmyass"(ok, probably would).

on another slightly different note, i am re-assembling my 98 vt1100 spirit after a very radical overhaul. i split the cases and replace my tranny gears with an ace tourer set, save the two gears that will keep it running to the higher spirit rpm's. also replaced the lower compression pistons with higher compression '85 vt1100's. replaced the short duration cam with the longer duration, lower profile '85 cams for higher rpm's. the dynajets will return and i have a dynatek adjustable dci ready to go in. with a k&n filter and an opened airbox blowing out of a set of roadburner straight pipes.... i am hoping to see a very real horsepower increase... we'll see, eh? maybe i'll be disappointed? whatever comes of it i will know by spring/summer this year. i've had the bike since it 2000 when it was a 96 vt1100c model, then swapped engines and harness for a 98 spirit engine when i lost third gear. i ran that engine over 100k constantly touring. when i tore it down due to smoke and oil consumption i found the rear jug out of round. i thought whatthehell?! let's just get kwazy!!! if all goes well with this operation it would probably give your fury a real run for the money.. ya think?? maybe one day we can meet up and have a waxing party :mrgreen:
cheers furball this was a good fluff.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You will love the 1300, two things with the VTX. One is it being a 2003 it has a fuel pump which are known to be problematic and the fix is to simply remove it as following years are all gravity feed. Second is the neck bearings and there is tons of info on the net about changing them. 35 dollars and an afternoon are you are good to go. Other than those two cheep fixes the VTX is a great bike and there are many guys out there with 100k plus.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts