Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very new to motorcycles and am having a friend help me with cleaning out the carb. He said we need the upper and lower boots of the carb because they were old and cracking. Anyone know what the upper ones are called? I think I found the lower ones on ebay. Also, what years other than 86 would work?

·
Registered
143 Posts
microfische lookups

There are many motorcycle parts web sites that offer microfische displays of all the parts on a bike. Here is one of the many I use. Assuming by the word "boot" you mean the rubber pieces that connect the carburetor from the air cleaner to the cylinder head?

Motorsports Honda Yamaha Suzuki Kawasaki Motorcycle Dealer ATV Greenville NC Used Sport Bikes Eastern North Carolina Hustler mower, Honda Power equi
Upper boot from the air cleaner display page:
Item#15 "TUBE B" PN: 17257-MK7-000
Unfortunately this particualr parts site shows that item is a discontinued item.

Motorsports Honda Yamaha Suzuki Kawasaki Motorcycle Dealer ATV Greenville NC Used Sport Bikes Eastern North Carolina Hustler mower, Honda Power equi
Lower Front Boot from front cylinder head display page:
Item#13 "INSULATOR, CARB" PN: 16211-ME9-000

It is the same for the Lower Rear Boot:
Lower Rear Boot from rear cylinder head display page:
Item#12 "INSULATOR, CARB" PN: 16211-ME9-000

I see there is also a thread on this web site that discusses options for the boot that is discontinued.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
i bet since the upper ones only handle air and no gas you could use radiator hose, but the bottoms since it has gas and air i would get the actual boots

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your help. I'll look into those links and the possibility of radiator hose.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Thank you both for your help. I'll look into those links and the possibility of radiator hose.
NOT radiator hose. It will turn to black sludge inside the carbs. Now, IF you were to go to say a industrial supply, Auto supply, Welding or Farm supply ect. you can find hose that wont welt from the heat or the petroleum. Actual boots are expensive, it will save you HUNDREDS of dollars to find some hose.

Google "OEM Honda" you will find a million parts sites with access to the HONDA factory Parts books.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Upper boots

Lowers are still available. Uppers are not. Hose won't work because different diameter on each end. Uppers are molded. About the only option is salvage yards. Google motorcycle salvage & used parts. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not finding anything for the upper boots. Nothing is available as mentioned above. Any one have any other tips? My top two are brittle and won't work any more. That's the only thing holding me back from getting this bike up and running again (hopefully)

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,855 Posts
Don't forget to try ebay.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Some have had luck spreading RTV over a cracked boot. Desperate measures for desperate times!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't forget to try ebay.
I tried. I'm sure it's all a matter of what i'm searching but I can't find any. I thought I found some a few weeks ago but I don't remember what I searched for.

Some have had luck spreading RTV over a cracked boot. Desperate measures for desperate times!
Thanks for that. These are pretty rough but it may be worth a shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts