Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in northern IL, so we do get snow, but I am seriously considering selling my car and buying an Ural for the winter months. I know I would have to invest in some heated gear and maybe even a full face helm with an electric shield. My wife says that I am crazy, but an Ural is cheaper than a car in all aspects, plus it would stop this persistent stress of not being able to ride.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
My nephew does that in Maine. He has a patrol so its 2wd. Does pertty good in snow. From what his experience has been don't expect Honda's reliability.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Your wife is right.
I agree.

It would be like riding a snowmobile to work. You have to spend 15 minutes getting dressed and undressed.

On snowy days there are all those people who can't drive on it. Do you really want to be out there with them? Geneva is hardly a rural area.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I find it hard enough to deal with cars and trucks during winter in my car. It would be ten times harder on a bike. Plus how would you deal with ice?

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,579 Posts
Are you that desparate to start a thread? :D I'll give you an 8 for originality.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm sure this is one of those things which at the time seem like a viable alternative. In practice however, in the long run I'm sure a person would have to come to the conclusion that it was a real bonehead decision. I remember once wanting to ride a Honda 400 from Dallas to Detroit. At the time it seemed like a wonderful thing to do. Looking back, well that was forty years ago.

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
Have to agree with the others so far.. In practice, riding a bike in snow is likely going to wear you down ... As far as the safety of riding a trike in the snow, I think safety on the road comes from exposure to impact and many accidents in snow occur when inattentive cage-pilots apply the brakes late in the game and rear-end somebody..

If you have traction and are attentive then you can usually avoid such things..

I know you are attentive. But do you have enough traction to avoid such a thing?

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
If you need dependable transportation -- for things like going to work -- the Ural is not a very good choice. But if you are not worried about keeping your job it might be OK. Think of the stress relief when you don't have to go to work at all.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
And taking 15 mins to get dressed deters you from riding for even 15 mins? Sell your bike now because it doesnt deserve you.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,463 Posts
I was in high school in the 1960's and lived in So. Calif. so it only got down to 40 degrees most of the time but I had an old Cushman motor scooter I rode to school. The first class was typing. I remember the stiff fingers trying to move. I now live in Wash. state so I know colder temps. You are very daring to ride in your area on two wheels at freezing and try to function at work.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Just buy a 2wd bike they made them in the 70 80 time I? Surely you can find one. Or my idea was a Goldwing full dressed and go south and not worry about snow for a few months

·
Registered
110 Posts
aschamne, not trying to steal your thread,but....

Please tell me your overall experiences with the vulcan, i
am strongly considering a vulcan voyager as my next bike.

thanks for your time

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
aschamne, not trying to steal your thread,but....

Please tell me your overall experiences with the vulcan, i
am strongly considering a vulcan voyager as my next bike.

thanks for your time
I love my Vaquero which is basically a Voyager without a tour pack, the Vulcan forum is lacking(which is why I am still here) but the bike is great. The 2 biggest complaints about the bike are heat and the gear indicator. Heat can be addressed by either buying or making heat shields and the gear indicator is more of a nuisance than an actual problem(it sometimes tells you that you are in a different gear than what you are actually in).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for your fast response,
I currently ride a 750 shadow aero.
I am considering a 2014 or 15 and i think the heat issues have been solved and hopefully the gear indicator as well.
Do you consider the vaquero a long distance cruiser and or long distance touring bike?
Is your seat factory or aftermarket? How many miles have you put on the bike? reliability? maintenance issues?
Sorry for so many questions.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I understand the want to ride year round...but snow?
I actually talked to my wife about selling my car and riding the fury year round, just getting some heated gear...BUT! it doesn't snow that much in MD and the time it does snow, we can share the vehicle. She doesn't work to far from me so I could easily drop her off and pick her up...Other than that, if I had to deal with actual snow on the roads all the time...I'd say no.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I'm sure this is one of those things which at the time seem like a viable alternative. In practice however, in the long run I'm sure a person would have to come to the conclusion that it was a real bonehead decision. I remember once wanting to ride a Honda 400 from Dallas to Detroit. At the time it seemed like a wonderful thing to do. Looking back, well that was forty years ago.
What's wrong with riding a 400 that far? I rode between Chicago and California twice in one year on Honda cb450 twin. Would I do the same ride now a 450, not a chance in hell.

·
Registered
563 Posts
And taking 15 mins to get dressed deters you from riding for even 15 mins? Sell your bike now because it doesnt deserve you.
My bikes don't agree with you.

·
Registered
354 Posts
What's wrong with riding a 400 that far? I rode between Chicago and California twice in one year on Honda cb450 twin. Would I do the same ride now a 450, not a chance in hell.
That's along the lines of my meaning. In 1976 it seemed like a great idea. Now, oh HELL no!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts