Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having bought and sold a number of bikes over the years I'm used to buying and selling at a price point somewhere between KBB or NADA trade-in (too low) or retail dealer sales (too high) value, usually pretty close to the mid-point between these two figures.

Now with a little mad money in my jeans from the sale of the Vulcan I've been casually scanning CL to see if anything strikes my fancy. But the weird thing is that almost every potential candidate is priced well over book retail value, in spite of the fact that this is the off-season for both sales and riding. I've been jotting down some of these listings with price and then looking up the book value, and it's pretty surprising to see that all but a very few are asking over high retail -- some sellers are actually asking nearly TWICE book value. Example: a '94 DR250 listed for $2K, while NADA "very good condition" value for this bike is $1085. If it was just one or two I'd chalk it up to either owner ignorance of actual value, or maybe a fishing expedition to see if a sucker will bite. But it seems to be a general trend. From the ones I've checked I'd estimate that 75% are actually over dealer retail book valuation.

I wonder what's going on. Is there a bike shortage I haven't heard about?:mrgreen:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Its a buyer's market regardless of prices you see on craigslist (especially this time of year). People often put a lot of value into aftermarket stuff they've added to the bike which really doesn't effect the value of the bike. Keep an eye on craigslist and see how long those bikes are sitting on there...you'll likely still see them there in late January. When you see one sitting there for a while, make a reasonable offer. If they don't take it, call them back in a few weeks to see if they've come to their senses. Deals are there to be had on craigslist...its might just take a little time to find the right one for you.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Everything is for sale for the right price. All I need is more time to put it all on the market - it's free ya know... Why not see if you can hook ya a big sucker?

People are making a career of it and I think it was born from the bidding frenzies on ebay and leaves so many buying used stuff for more than it costs new.

·
Registered
11,523 Posts
Advertised/asking price doesn't mean squat. Selling price is the only price that matters. How many bikes actually sell for the asking price?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750
561 Posts
Advertised/asking price doesn't mean squat. Selling price is the only price that matters. How many bikes actually sell for the asking price?
You speak the truth.I agree 100%...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Well, I'm actually in the process of trying to sell my bike. I just put it up on CL yesterday.
My asking price is 3500$ which is close to what KBB is saying what the bike is worth.
That said, do I expect 3500? No, i'm definitely hoping for it! But I know i'm probably not going to get it. I am open to offers, but when dealing with craigslist people...they LOVE to low ball! So, you need to expect that.

My favorite line (Sarcasm) is when people e-mail me saying "What's the lowest you're willing to go" If you're going to negotiate...you need numbers!

FYI, any takers on the bike? :-D ha ha

·
Registered
2017 Indian Roadmaster
983 Posts
So far as aftermarket accessories go, I would add half the price that I paid for my accessories to the asking price of the bike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sometimes there is no price, like my 88 VLX-600 my Brother left to me when he
died unexpectedly..
But I have found some of the used prices on certain bikes a bit on the low side..
I will defend my opion to the Grave that my Honda is every bit the quality (or better) than any Sportster ever made!
I cant tell you how many sub 30k air cooled twins I have seen smoking from the rear cyl...
I sold my 86' 1100 Shadow about 15 years ago, I didn't like it in the City, and I didn't drive the Highway like I used to (it was beautiful on the Highway). The thing is closing on it's FIRST 100K
My Cousin has a Kaw 1100 Eliminator that screams, but on a ride from Mt. Pleasant Ia.
to Sioux City, 150 miles into the trip he was BEGGING me to trade Bikes.
I did for 50 miles, then OFF he went, my neck and back were killing me.. The 1100 was comfy as could be at 80 MPH.. That bike was so well balanced I set the throttle lock, leaned back into my Back Pack on my Sissy bar, and ride hands free for miles without touching the bars, just lean a bit...
Some folks just love their Bikes...
There may be a story like, " OK Wife I'll put it up for sale, but if it doesn't sell by Spring you quit nagging me about owning it"!!
Here is to Honda The best bikes on the road....

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Well, I'm actually in the process of trying to sell my bike. I just put it up on CL yesterday.
My asking price is 3500$ which is close to what KBB is saying what the bike is worth.
That said, do I expect 3500? No, i'm definitely hoping for it! But I know i'm probably not going to get it. I am open to offers, but when dealing with craigslist people...they LOVE to low ball! So, you need to expect that.

My favorite line (Sarcasm) is when people e-mail me saying "What's the lowest you're willing to go" If you're going to negotiate...you need numbers!

FYI, any takers on the bike? :-D ha ha
If you can wait then list your bike in the spring when demand is higher for used bikes. Winter bike buyers are looking at your desperation to sell

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just spent 3 months looking at CL daily for a bike. Most prices are listed way above NADA or KBB. Dealers are by far the worst. The prices they ask for a used bike are nuts. I got to the point I only looked at private sellers. Many many bikes were eliminated due to being over priced and many others due to condition.

ie - guy lists his bike as "in new condition" and then posts a picture with a huge dent in the gas tank.

I ended up with a '99 VLX 600 at below NADA and KBB and 25% under his asking price. He didn't even argue the offer, which scared me : )

·
Registered
79 Posts
I figure some of the "overpriced" one's are folks who still own money on them.

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
....That said, do I expect 3500? No, i'm definitely hoping for it! But I know i'm probably not going to get it. I am open to offers, but when dealing with craigslist people...they LOVE to low ball! So, you need to expect that.
Does this explain all those bikes we see advertised on Craigslist for $40,000.00?

buyer... "I'LL GIVE YOU $20,000.00!!! Not a Penny More!"

seller... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I figure some of the "overpriced" one's are folks who still own money on them.
Maybe, but I don't see how pricing it too high to sell will help them out of that situation. They will continue to make payments on a bike that continues to depreciate, which looks like a double whammy loss to me.

But what do I know? I never took an economics course in my life.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
520 Posts
I love post like this because the answer is short and sweet. Stuff is worth what ones willing to pay.

Casein point my 97 ace books 2700 with lower miles well i got 1700 in add ons . Well that dont mean my bikes worth 4200 but i am going to ask 3800 to leave me room. Its easyer to get a buyer when you make them feel like they win. So my real nmber is my lowest point . So i always get what i want.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Also, don't forget that people on Craigslist will always low ball you. So putting the price a little higher than you actually want helps you with the negotiation...if people actually know how to negotiate...a lot don't...drives me nuts.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
LOL, no kidding, i listed my Spirit for $1000 firm (hell of a deal too) and the first three people wanted to negotiate...the buyer said "i wont haggle with you on a $1000 bike) lol.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I built this and rode it for a couple of years. Handbuilt frame, oil tank and forwards. Pretty much all hand built from scratch. Lotta time and effort. I was tired of it and ready for something new. I pulled the engine and sold the complete frame. I pondered what it was worth. I figured $500. A friend told me to ask $600 and negotiate. I put it on Craigslist for $800. On the first day a guy called. He came over and looked it over and counted out eight $100 bills without a word. I either asked too little or I just found the one guy who was looking for something just like it. I don't know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts