Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to get quotes for custom paint and was wondering if anyone has ever used glow-in-the-dark paints or pigments. From what I've read the more used the better the glow but would like some input from any members who may have used this before.

So, basically, I'm looking to either candy or metallic a base, hand-paint glow designs, then clear over. Possibly even paint on the helmet as well.

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,437 Posts
I've been painting cars for more than 15 years and no one has ever requested glow in the dark paint before. I wasnt even aware that there was glow in the dark pigments available for automotive finishes. Im interested in seeing what you find out. Whos making this pigment?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've been painting cars for more than 15 years and no one has ever requested glow in the dark paint before. I wasnt even aware that there was glow in the dark pigments available for automotive finishes. Im interested in seeing what you find out. Whos making this pigment?
Paint With Pearl
It's made to mix with clear binders.

I was also looking at using an acrylic glow in the dark and hand paint over. I am planning on just stenciling some designs on.There's no way to really coat that though because anything over top will want to lift. I don't know. It may all be a pipe dream.

I intended on painting the fenders and tank a really dark blue. Using the pigment from above, stenciling Norse designs in a lighter blue that will glow at night. I believe, and you can confirm this or not, that this route would allow for a clear to be shot over top?

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,448 Posts
This is very interesting. It would be great if you could post some before/after pics and describe the process and effect once completed.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,789 Posts
How are you going to keep it lit up? Most of those paints only glow for some minutes.

·
Registered
16,603 Posts
I LIKE New concepts!!!
I`d be worried of the clear coat "Busting" the NonCompatable" paint???

I dunno, I just Know from my little bit of experience to Leave it to the Pros when it comes to things I ain`t familiar with...
& this is one of `em,
D

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,789 Posts
A few year back the young guys were putting the afterglow lights under their cars and the colored winshield washer nozzles that lit up and colored license plate frames, etc. And they were getting tickets or have to cut the wires. The police won't allow some of those "distractions" on at night. So I just wonder if that paint will get you some trouble. Maybe not critical in all areas, but up here in Washington it seems to be.

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,437 Posts
I did some searching for you and found a product called Lumilor. Its an automotive coating and is sprayed with traditional paint guns. Couldnt tell you what it'll cost you but check out their website

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I did some searching for you and found a product called Lumilor. Its an automotive coating and is sprayed with traditional paint guns. Couldnt tell you what it'll cost you but check out their website
Awesome! Will definitely look into it. Thanks.

Found a shop only 45 minutes from me. Not cheap but looks great. Thanks for the heads up on that. Plus, this shop does not only top coat but powder also. One stop shop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I spoke with the guy in the shop and am definitely diggin' the Lumilor application. The owner is super friendly and willing to walk through all of the steps. My comfort level is super high.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,242 Posts
I just got my daughter an airbrush kit. I have an old tank sitting around so I may have to paint it then see what she can do with some simple glow in the dark model paint or something. Just to play around and see what happens.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I knew a guy that painted his bike with glow in the dark paint about 30 years ago so that technology has been around for a while.. Best i remember it was off white and you couldn't really tell until it was out in the dark. I got up in the middle of the night at a campground in Daytona and saw it in the bike parking lot, and that thing was just sitting there glowing like a big luminous watch dial.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I painted my light switch panels in my house with some brush on acrylic paint, it was thick but would dimly glow most of the night and looked off yellow in the light.Painting your bike with it to me sounds like a thief magnet.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If it's anything like the luminous paint they use on watch faces, even the best paint will start out bright and really fade as the time goes by. What they probably mean by 7 hours is that by the 7th hour, you might still be able to tell the difference, might. Have you thought of instead maybe using some type of highly reflective pinstriping? Not like those "Tron" cars you see sometimes, but to outline the lighter color? Yes it wouldn't glow constantly, but it would be enough to catch reflection at night. There are also some electro-luminescent strips and stuff you can use now that might fit the bill - but that's a big might.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts