Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got er done.
Picked up an 83 V65. I aint got too much in it, we will see what it needs....

Knocking sound. Valves? Hopefully. I'm planning on it's totally wore out cams. Doesn't seem to have been "tinkered" on alot, factory paint Siren Royal Blue... most parts look there aint been alot of wrenchen on em...who knows. But, 83 I hear being the worst about the cam oiling issue....so I'm thinkin it aint been done/fixed.

Be patient, uploading the only pic I have of it from my phone:evil:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just did buy a 83 V65 from a buddy of mine. He was riding it till the back drive unit started getting smoking hot. He has had it off as few time and i think in between that and several beers, he goofed some where.
He said it wasn't going to mess with it so i bought it for 200 dollars. I'll pick it up on tuesday. I am giving it to my neighbor so he don't have to ride his harley to work.
Yeah, i regret that decission all ready.
The V65 has low oil pressure for the upper part of the engine. There is a mod to get good oil pressure up there. it is a must for these bikes. This one has 26,xxx on it and hasn't been done yet either.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Color me jealous :D

I would love to have a V65 in good shape. Wanted one ever since I was in grade school. And, I actually like the looks of that giant muffler on there.

Congrats on the new ride!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Muffler, yup.

Wait till you see future pics.

Those are,..... ready for this..... off a Road King or similar Harley.... my buddy gave me a entire set from his Road King about a year ago. These have different part# on the "This Harley Davidson exhaust system meets requirements, blah, blah, blah" Stamp right on the pipe.

12" Cut off wheel from chop saw.... mounted on a 7" grinder.......

Now, they look factory... LOL.

Just wait, I'll get more pics

·
Registered
673 Posts
Nice find. I love my V4!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a 1986 V65 Magna for quite a few years and sold when I got my Shadow. Really loved the bike but was not as comfortable for all day cruising like my Shadow. I had a corbin seat and a sliding backrest for passenger or myself when alone on bike, but removed both and sold on ebay before selling bike. I could not afford to keep both, sure wish I could have. Here are some pictures right before she left me to go to another.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TClark, that is one sharp lookin bike. Love the PF3 on it. I wanted an 86 (only because gf was born that year:wink:) but all Magna's I have seen lately are $1700-$3000......with a few "mint" $5/6!K:shock: listed. This one was affordable, and guy need $$$ BAD.

So, here's my short list for this bike. Rather than go at it like the 750 I got back in Feb (20 degrees outside), I'm gonna service it, ya know fluids and all, filters, plugs, etc. I got Honda manual downloaded, Clymer the owner gave me is POS. Complete with wet/dried stuck pages and info on other models to "sift through"...:sad: I may pull the carbs for cleaning...but that's about as far as I'm gonna go till winter. I wanna ride it! Come winter, it'll come apart. Front tire is unbelievable, period. Even I am scared to ride around industrial park on it...new one in order very soon.

This ticking/knocking sound is bad, IMO. I guess I'll read up on adjusting valves...as a temporary fix...till it's too cold outside to ride. The oil mod seems easy (with Machine shop that is:wink:)......so maybe that will get done here soon also.

Done found the V4 forums.

All 4 turn signal stems are missing the rubber,.... intact, but loose.
Gear cover (?) missing, left side of motor covering slave cyl. Found one on ebay.
Type on instrument light cover is all gone, "lettering" I should say.
Slight oil leak on both cyl head covers, not terrible...yet.

Going to shop now to tinker, and take pics...... add to "to-do list"....

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Turns out the tires had 5 PSI in front, and 10 PSI in rear! I thought a tire with 5 psi would be at least flat looking??? It was soft to squeeze, but still I would have never guessed 5 psi....more like 20 or so (shows my ignorance).

Rode it around a bit, really comes alive over 4K rpms. Actually seems to run a little rough up till right at 4K on the tack...and as if flipping a switch..... smooths out and screams!

I'm going to adjust the valves, seems fairly easy.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lantesh, 115/118HP..crank I bet, not rear wheel. It pulls like crazy now that I went through the carbs. It's really hard to explain the difference in over twice the power, and slightly less weight than my 95. But here goes.

Cruising at 55mph, about 3800rpm....in 6th (OD).... w/o downshifting, you can twist throttle just a bit and be at 70mph in just a second!

It's supposed to run high 10's in the quarter, with professional drag racer piloting it of course.... It will hit at least 80 by the time you wind out 2nd gear...in less than a block.... in a very few seconds....with ME ridin it...:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:. Pull wheelie's w/o the clutch in first gear also..

I've found, my VT750 has 3.40 gears, the Magna 3.18.
AND, they are interchangeable......

I have NO NEED EVER to go over 100mph.
I'd like the higher gear in the Shadow, and the lower in the Magna..so If I hold onto the 750 long enough...I'll swap em.

Here's the "before" pics...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Looks like ya got a real good deal

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.