Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been passing the time (on a snowy day) looking at Honda's I'd like to own someday. On my radar is a V65 Magna....circa 1986. For an 1100 it seems like it would be a pretty great (fun) ride. Anyone own one or your thoughts? Here's one that caught my eye ... (Due to my size I am like a kid in a candy store, but lets forget about that for a minute. LOL) It's touted as the worlds first power cruiser.
Honda Magna | eBay

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
They're all balls, Harry. I believe they were the fastest production bike out there in their day. Honda's later crotch rocket engines were based on the v4s.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I'm so glad I owned one, and so sad I sold it. Yeah, they're an awesome cruiser. I just didn't want to deal with the maintenance mine was up for as it was an outside bike...

I rode that bike to the shop to get XS850 parts... LoL

·
Registered
38 Posts
Harry, I understand your interest. The V65 Magna can be described in two words - Pure Muscle. If I remember right, the 1985 Shadow VT 1100 was rated at around 90 hp. The V65 1100 4 cyclinder was rated at 115 hp, a 25 hp difference. That's huge for a 2 wheeler. Are you looking at buying one?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I had an 83 when they first came out. I was very fast in the day. I got a few tickets with it.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
even the smallest magna of that year is a screamer, these were considered muscle bikes but perform like a crotch rocket.

·
Registered
18,127 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Funny story about my V65. There was a fellow pilot at the airport that had a souped up Porsche 911. I told him my bike would walk away from his car. He did not think that possible. We went out to a country road where I blew him off pretty good.

When we got back he said he would never have thought a V twin could be that fast. I told him to look closer.:)

·
Registered
18,127 Posts
Check out the forum, I`m new to these "Rocket powered Screamers"

Many folks have them and keep them running, but I`ve not started my project yet, as I`m saving my pennies for my Sturgis/9/11 at the nations capitol cross country tour...

I don`t see a problem with obtaining parts though (?)

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
@Dennis, how hard is it to get parts for these '80's Magnas?
@ShadowBison , I am thinking about it, but if I do it will be as a restoration. Parts availability would be key.
Very difficult depending on year on what parts. One of the reasons I got rid of my 82 Magna was parts availability. Some parts sell for much higher then when they were new and other's are just not available. The first generation Magna's and Sabre's had 2nd gear issues as well as upper end oiling issues.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very difficult depending on year on what parts. One of the reasons I got rid of my 82 Magna was parts availability. Some parts sell for much higher then when they were new and other's are just not available. The first generation Magna's and Sabre's had 2nd gear issues as well as upper end oiling issues.
Thanks for the parts info. I had heard about those other issues and was assuming I'd look for an '85 or '86.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,579 Posts
The oiling issue was due to poor design of the oil sump/pickup tube for the oil pump. Lift the front end and lose oil pressure. Alot of these motors ended up in dirt track minis and the new owners would revise the oil sump area to be deeper to avoid oil pressure loss. Alot of late model V45 still around in pristine shape.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
The oiling issue was due to poor design of the oil sump/pickup tube for the oil pump. Lift the front end and lose oil pressure. Alot of these motors ended up in dirt track minis and the new owners would revise the oil sump area to be deeper to avoid oil pressure loss. Alot of late model V45 still around in pristine shape.
The fix is running pipes from the sump up to the heads. It was an ugly repair but it worked.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Honda Sabre, Magna, Interceptor BBS - Index

and

Welcome to V4 Market - The Store For Your V4

This is the best forum for the V4s of the 80s I could find. This is by far the best source of info on the web. Most of these guys have been into the v4s since they came out.

I had a '85 700 for several years and I sold it with around 60k on the clock. No 2nd gear or oiling issues on mine, and it would run away from just about any other bike out there. The seating was an issue for me on longer trips, the pegs are directly underneath and my knees would get sore fairly quick. I just wanted something more comfortable for longer road trips so I bought the ACE. I do miss the Magna sometimes, the bike really came alive at 5500-6000 RPM. :shock:

The parts are not too bad, most of the wear and tear stuff is still readily available and is usually cheap. Like others have said some (not all) had 2nd gear issues and upper end oiling issues. I can't remember for sure but I don't think the 85s and 86s were as prone to the upper end oiling issues, somewhere in that time frame the timing cam setup was changed slightly and it helped some. There are upper end oiling kits with stainless steel braided lines now that don't look too awful and they work great.

Be prepared for sticker shock when you see some the prices on the V65s. 3k for one in good running condition is the norm.

There is a guy (BillyC) on the Honda V4 forum that rebuilds carbs too and rumor has it he is the best at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Not good unless that's what you meant-on a deserted country road and all.

Dingo.
Maybe I should say I pulled away from his Porsche on a deserted country road.:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts