Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my 96 Shadow VT1100C since day one and have always liked the looks of a Valk. My buddy, a couple of years ago traded his 97 Spirit for a 97 Valk. On many rides we would switch bikes so I've ridden his for hundreds of miles. This was my findings. I didn't care for the footpeg position, too far back. When using the forward cruise pegs my legs felt like they were too far apart because the engine is so wide. On hot summer days both he and I found the heat coming off the engine even at hiway speed was overwelming. I didn't care for the handlebar position, it felt too low for me. Also I felt like I was sitting ON the bike rather than IN IT like mine. It felt top heavy for me. Also I could'nt get used to the constant howling sound that the exhaust made. To me, it sounded a lot like one of our greens mowers at the golf club. It had lots of power if you kept the revs up. For me it didn't compare to the FEEL and SOUND of a V-Twin. Thats is my honest opinion of the Valk so please Valk owners don't be offended. The plus side ? It's a HONDA !
OZ

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Cool ... you've found your bike in the VT1100C. Your findings on the Valk weren't unreasonable ... most were a question of taste and personal opinion.

By contrast, I found the footpegs of my previous VT1100C too far forward. Drove me nuts. It got better with floorboards, which allowed me to shift my feet back ... a more natural position for me. My new Goldwing's pegs are pretty much straight down, which is just fine with me.

The differences in riding preferences is why there are so many bike models out there. Imagine if there was just one model! :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
TucsonDon said:
Cool ... you've found your bike in the VT1100C. Your findings on the Valk weren't unreasonable ... most were a question of taste and personal opinion.

By contrast, I found the footpegs of my previous VT1100C too far forward. Drove me nuts. It got better with floorboards, which allowed me to shift my feet back ... a more natural position for me. My new Goldwing's pegs are pretty much straight down, which is just fine with me.

The differences in riding preferences is why there are so many bike models out there. Imagine if there was just one model! :)
The foot position thing I think is the most talked about difference in bikes. It took me a bit to get used to the forward controls as opposed to riding my KLR. I even almost had a set of custom pegs and brackets made to achieve a more "standard" peg position. But , now I LOVE my VT1100C! Love It!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
byg_mi said:
The foot position thing I think is the most talked about difference in bikes. It took me a bit to get used to the forward controls as opposed to riding my KLR. I even almost had a set of custom pegs and brackets made to achieve a more "standard" peg position. But , now I LOVE my VT1100C! Love It!
I suspect you're right. I see this talked about all the time here and over on the Wing forum. My problem with the forward pegs was two-fold:

1 - I had a weird sense I couldn't control the bike as well. Whether there was physiology at work or just psychology, I don't know. But when I got the boards on and was able to move my feet back, I felt I was able to control the bike a bit better. I think Sanoke reports the same thing.

2 - I have a weak lower back, and the posture of legs out and arms out created a kind of curvature in my lower back that was uncomfortable. The boards helped somewhat, but what really helped was a backrest with lumbar support. It must be me ... even with my Wing and a new backrest, I still had to fit a little lumbar cushion to keep that small of my back oriented forward. It's hell getting old. :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
TucsonDon said:
1 - I had a weird sense I couldn't control the bike as well. Whether there was physiology at work or just psychology, I don't know. But when I got the boards on and was able to move my feet back, I felt I was able to control the bike a bit better. I think Sanoke reports the same thing.
I couldn't agree more. When I get ready to sell my Shadow, the foot position will be the reason. I have floorboards on it, but I still can't get my feet under me enough to get really comfortable. I look forward to the day when I get old enough to get a Wing. :wink:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I bought my valk before riding it, it was just the way the deal had to go down. However, before paying for it, I did ride it, if only a few miles down to the dealership for a look see, and thought for sure I had made a mistake. I could not stand the peg position and the noise the engine made really disturbed me. But I had chat with some valk owners in private, spirit_1100 was one. They took me there was not much you could do with the peg position and that I would come to get used to it, which I have. I was directed to a FAQ on the engine noise only to find out what they all were, and for the most part, it was the sound of unbelievable power.

700 miles on the valk and I still love my spirit and V-Twins still turn my head. However, I also love my valk. The riding position has become natural for me now and when I go out on the spirit, I tend to find myself looking for the pegs. I also though the handlebar position was nuts. The guy I bought it from was short and did nothing about it. I put Genmar 1.25” risers on them and changed the angle to suite me. The sound of the pipes also drove me nuts. I was used to the cobra drags and this valk was far to whiny. So, I cut the piggies off and it now has a nice little growl to it. I am contemplating the next stage of drilling the forward baffles, but am undecided on that.

I drive my spirit every night, at least for a few miles and cant get over what an amazing bike it is. However, I have come to really appreciate the well designed valk. Having both bikes has made me appreciate both so much more. I would never look down on someone who owns a shadow as I think they truly are great rides. If the time comes that I don’t have to sell the spirit, I will honestly keep it, one they don’t make them any more and two, they are rock solid bikes that look beautiful in my books.

Enough said, point well taken.

Ride safe, it is Friday the thirteenth after all

·
Registered
542 Posts
Cool! No offense at all!
One less potential Valk buyer in the market! :D
Maybe that will help keep the $$$ pressure off the nice used ones.
The Valkyrie is not for everyone, that is for sure! Everyone is different. I love the foot peg position, it is the most comfy, natural feeling position for a long ride for me. The Valk does give off a little more heat than most bikes but, hey, I'm a Florida boy! 8) What heat! :lol: High horsepower means high heat. Ask any air-cooled Harley rider how his legs feel, stuck in traffic in the Florida summertime :shock: , roasted leg anyone!
A stock Valk exhaust system wouldn't offend a church librarian so methinks you rode a Valk with modded exhaust. As for the size, well... it is a big bike! 8 feet long but still lighter than a 'Wing or any comparable {as if!} HD product. Being a big boy myself, the Valkyrie feels just right. But I do enjoy blasting about town on the wife's 750, although the forward pegs aint my cup of tea for long rides!
Risers are easy to put on to get the bars back to your arms, mine has 'em. As for the power band, revs are a Valks {& 'Wings} best friend when showing a less technically advanced bike owner :twisted: the tail light!
Nice thing about all the bike choices available today, there is something for everyone! And if what you have doesn't totally suit you, lots of cool parts & stuff is out there to tailor it to your likeing.
Ride On! That's what biking is all about. 8)
Hey Dragoon, watch that Friday 13th talk! I was born on a Friday 13th.....A long time ago! :p

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Hey Dragoon, watch that Friday 13th talk! I was born on a Friday 13th.....Along time ago!
No offense traveler, I was simply mentioning it for all those tridexaphhobics, of which I am not one. I don’t think being born on that day has done you any harm.

Cheers

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yeah.. and I own a black cat, LOVE to break mirrors, and I walk under ladders every chance I get too! :shock: :lol: :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
not offended. i had some of the same feelings, took at least 2 weeks before i was sure i liked her. took some time to learn to keep the revs up a lil, more than the vtwin anyways. and to apply more force when cornering. big ass bike. but she will handle. and go. before that it took a while before i liked my ace 1100 too. i did enjoy the patter of the vtwin, but i would not want to give up the power and size, i like it. perhaps someday a m109r with full fairing, trunk and bags, that might be the best of both worlds. still have another 200k mi to put on this one 1st.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I loved my Suzuki GS650L, I loved my VT1100C, and now I love my Valk. They make bikes in lots of configurations because people have different tastes. Thats why I have never understood when people so energetically critisize other people's bikes. ( I know thats NOT what you were doing, just pointing out your personal tastes.) I myself don't think i would ever by a crotch rocket because I hate the riding position and like to ride long distances. I DO think pointing out exactly what you don't like about the Valk is valuable because it gives others points to consider when thinking about changing bikes. The Valkyrie seems to fit my taste and riding style, but I know it can't be everyone's favorite!

Ride safe!

intrepid65

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I plan on getting a Valk Interstate as soon as I get back! Iwill keep my '89 Spirit 1100, and my '84 VT700 also. I rode my Dad's standard Valk to Sturgis last year, and have always loved the look of that bike, but that ride got me hooked, big time. ------Metalguy :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.