Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I really need the Honda, part #07908-ke90100, valve adjust wrench to adjust the valves on my Shadow Aero 750?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that's it. Is it necessary?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yep, that's it. Is it necessary?
Sorry to keep you hanging I really shoulda said I'm not sure now I've seen it. Someone should be able to say better than me though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just used needle nose pliers to hold the top.
Improvisation w tools is something I do alot. Haven't tried adjusting valves yet but I sat if it works without damaging anything go for it.

·
Premium Member
7,220 Posts
Improvisation w tools is something I do alot. Haven't tried adjusting valves yet but I sat if it works without damaging anything go for it.

I asked about the tool at the local dealer and they suggested just using the pliers to save buying the tool. They said it would work just fine and it did.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I asked about the tool at the local dealer and they suggested just using the pliers to save buying the tool. They said it would work just fine and it did.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there any kind of valve cover gasket that I will need to replace?

·
Registered
41 Posts
That little home made tool is just what I was looking for.
Can you tell me the size of the slot you cut in the wrench, so I can get it done before I tear things down. Thanks
Ron

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
That little home made tool is just what I was looking for.
Can you tell me the size of the slot you cut in the wrench, so I can get it done before I tear things down. Thanks
Ron
Oh man Ron, I can't recall off hand. I mic'd the nut once I pulled the valve cover and then just used the Dremel to gently Nick it to shape. I want to say it was 5mm, but don't quote me, haha.

·
Registered
634 Posts
There's a tool in the factory toolkit that has a slot in the handle that fits the top of the valve! (perfectly).
My bike with the factory toolkit for VT750DCB has it, and I just used it!

try Servicehonda, for your model, mine's Honda 05 Vt750DCB tools #8

Try this link: Service Honda

8 99001-08000 SPANNER, 8 $2.39

Your exact model (taken from the frame lable) should have one too - very reasonably priced too...
It doesnt quite look like the pic in this thread, but sorta similar.
It looks like a small 8mm wrench with a slot in the flat handle that fits over the valve stem....
It comes in handy and fits!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh man Ron, I can't recall off hand. I mic'd the nut once I pulled the valve cover and then just used the Dremel to gently Nick it to shape. I want to say it was 5mm, but don't quote me, haha.
OK Thanks KaBob, and Aced It. I think I this is going to be pretty easy to do. This is going to be a nice afternoon project.
Ron

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
There's a tool in the factory toolkit that has a slot in the handle that fits the top of the valve! (perfectly).
My bike with the factory toolkit for VT750DCB has it, and I just used it!

try Servicehonda, for your model, mine's Honda 05 Vt750DCB tools #8

Try this link: Service Honda

8 99001-08000 SPANNER, 8 $2.39

Your exact model (taken from the frame lable) should have one too - very reasonably priced too...
It doesnt quite look like the pic in this thread, but sorta similar.
It looks like a small 8mm wrench with a slot in the flat handle that fits over the valve stem....
It comes in handy and fits!
Yup tool # 8 is it. I went into my tool bag and I have that #8 tool. I also found the same slot cut into the shock spanner.

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
Glad ya found it!
And adjusting the valves isnt a bad job - except getting everything outa the way!
There's a WHOLE LOTTA stuff just to get to the head covers(valve covers) - thats where the work is - and its all realy packed it there.
Have fun - Its an Adventure... ( I found a wasp/muddabber nest in the sub-air cleaner on the way)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts