Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
740 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
I just used needle nose pliers to hold the top.
Improvisation w tools is something I do alot. Haven't tried adjusting valves yet but I sat if it works without damaging anything go for it.

· Premium Member
7,220 Posts
Improvisation w tools is something I do alot. Haven't tried adjusting valves yet but I sat if it works without damaging anything go for it.

I asked about the tool at the local dealer and they suggested just using the pliers to save buying the tool. They said it would work just fine and it did.

· Premium Member
3,028 Posts
That little home made tool is just what I was looking for.
Can you tell me the size of the slot you cut in the wrench, so I can get it done before I tear things down. Thanks
Ron
Oh man Ron, I can't recall off hand. I mic'd the nut once I pulled the valve cover and then just used the Dremel to gently Nick it to shape. I want to say it was 5mm, but don't quote me, haha.

· Registered
713 Posts
There's a tool in the factory toolkit that has a slot in the handle that fits the top of the valve! (perfectly).
My bike with the factory toolkit for VT750DCB has it, and I just used it!

try Servicehonda, for your model, mine's Honda 05 Vt750DCB tools #8

Try this link: Service Honda

8 99001-08000 SPANNER, 8 $2.39

Your exact model (taken from the frame lable) should have one too - very reasonably priced too...
It doesnt quite look like the pic in this thread, but sorta similar.
It looks like a small 8mm wrench with a slot in the flat handle that fits over the valve stem....
It comes in handy and fits!

· Premium Member
3,028 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
There's a tool in the factory toolkit that has a slot in the handle that fits the top of the valve! (perfectly).
My bike with the factory toolkit for VT750DCB has it, and I just used it!

try Servicehonda, for your model, mine's Honda 05 Vt750DCB tools #8

Try this link: Service Honda

8 99001-08000 SPANNER, 8 $2.39

Your exact model (taken from the frame lable) should have one too - very reasonably priced too...
It doesnt quite look like the pic in this thread, but sorta similar.
It looks like a small 8mm wrench with a slot in the flat handle that fits over the valve stem....
It comes in handy and fits!
Yup tool # 8 is it. I went into my tool bag and I have that #8 tool. I also found the same slot cut into the shock spanner.

Attachments

· Registered
713 Posts
Glad ya found it!
And adjusting the valves isnt a bad job - except getting everything outa the way!
There's a WHOLE LOTTA stuff just to get to the head covers(valve covers) - thats where the work is - and its all realy packed it there.
Have fun - Its an Adventure... ( I found a wasp/muddabber nest in the sub-air cleaner on the way)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.