Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last fall when I took the carb assembly off my bike I looked down each tube with a flashlight at my intake valves. I know there are 2 on each jug but I can only see the face of one. front cylinder was perfect, no deposits, no blistering. rear cylinder's intake valve was horribly blackened with deposits over the entire thing. fast foward months to now after cleaning the trash out of the carbs and viewing that horrible valve I decided to check & adjust valves. very easy procedure.
all were in spec except for... guess what.... the rear cylinder's intake valves.
clearance spec is 0.15 mm or around .006 inches.
my measured was about half that or .003 inches. I actually had to go down several blades on my feeler set to find one that fit it was that tight. and yes I was on the compression stroke!
wondering what might've caused this to happen only on the back cylinder.
my dad mentioned something about the seat wearing down or something... how likely is that and how can I verify without taking off the whole head ?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
How many miles on the bike? Was this the first time they have ever been checked? If it is then it may be that it was assembled that way when the engine was built. The first check, at I think 600 miles is to actually verify that the engine was assembled correctly and the proper clearances were set. It is normal for those clearances to get tighter over time. If it was checked before by someone else then they may have done it incorrectly at that time. Now forget about it and ride the bike.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for real, I'm the second owner and this is the first time that I have personally checked the clearances and judging by the way the bolts were torqued and sealed I would guess I'm the ONLY person to have checked the clearance.
definitely not life threatening tight but out of spec nonetheless.
anyway, dealer called me back to tell me the carbs were definitely messed up again and the rear cylinder wasn't firing at idle due to a clog or something.
hopefully they'll clean / adjust / sync and call me to tell me its time to pickup, except I wont have any money to pay the bill !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts