Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used velocity stacks from tjbrutalcustoms.com i had 1 ordered as a gift and it says you have to use the jet kit he sells but i had ordered same size jets off jetsrus.com and wondering if they will work

·
Registered
23,170 Posts
Has anyone used velocity stacks from tjbrutalcustoms.com i had 1 ordered as a gift and it says you have to use the jet kit he sells but i had ordered same size jets off jetsrus.com and wondering if they will work
Does it void any warranty if you don't?
Have you tested it out without rejecting?
A good aftermarket jet should be just fine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think he says you need to use a jet kit as the stack changes airflow so the kit offers different sizes to tune for the stack. As long as you get different sizes to try... Sick may run lean. My guess is a bigger jet will be needed.

·
Registered
12,154 Posts
Get ready to learn how to take out your carbs in record time. You will be fine tuning for a while, at least that is what many guys find with stacks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a 42,45 142,145,148 and 150 if that dont work il have to buy his kit. Yea i figured it would take some time.really i thought stacks intake was the best to go with for a open exhaust this might be less fun than i thought

·
Premium Member
2,604 Posts
I got a 42,45 142,145,148 and 150 if that dont work il have to buy his kit. Yea i figured it would take some time.really i thought stacks intake was the best to go with for a open exhaust this might be less fun than i thought

If everything works perfectly in the end, you will get another 1 or 2 horsepower which means another couple miles an hour at wot. You'll also lose a little torque on the bottom end, which means more bikes will beat you racing from a stop light.

But at least it will be a lot louder, if everything works right.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope it does i just want to ride had enough trouble out of this bike already

If everything works perfectly in the end, you will get another 1 or 2 horsepower which means another couple miles an hour at wot. You'll also lose a little torque on the bottom end, which means more bikes will beat you racing from a stop light.

But at least it will be a lot louder, if everything works right.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
BTW gas mileage will suffer also but...

·
Premium Member
2,604 Posts
Is there any way you can just return the bike to stock condition so that you can at least enjoy riding it? Or was it butchered already by the previous owner when you bought it?

My best advice for buying used bikes is "NEVER buy a used bike with a modified exhaust system."

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have em on mine and the gas mileage isnt THAT bad but its there. They look good tho lol. And like they said get ready to remove yer carbs over and over and over again tuning each circuit to get the best performance. I also bought my bike used with an aftermarket exhaust and havent been able to ride it without tearing it apart every weekend im home. I have a 2001 750 ace. Right now after doin plug chops ALL day the 150 mains I have in it are too small according to the plugs. oh an jets you bought will do just fine thats just a sales gimmick

Attachments

·
Registered
12,154 Posts
I hadn't figured out why changing the intake to stacks or other types, has such an effect on these CV carbs. But this video really helps me see how the balance of 2 pressures make it work. After the 5 minute mark is where I have learned a lot. That is a Bing carb but the same operation of the slide. So anything that changes the air flow and pressures at the mouth of the carb can have big effects on the slide balance. See what you think.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only thing i can put back to stock is jets and airbox i cut the pipes myself before i knew how bad it was the bike didnt run when i got it i had to get a cdi box and clean carbs and tank before it ever started

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh wow rite now i have a 48 and a 142 in it and havent got it started yet any advice in what i would have best luck with jet wise

·
Registered
70 Posts
You don't want to use stacks w/ CV carbs, period. This is why intake restrictions and volume is critical. Stacks (in theory) offer a smoother, more laminar airflow at a higher velocity than a typical carb throat. The main reason they are such a failure on motorcycles that use the for looks or "performance" is because they are installed in the open, ie turbulent air stream.

Boy oh boy, do they look sweet, but they are hard to tune and hard to get consistent. Lest we not forget the lack of an appropriate filter to keep dirt and fine particulate out of your motor (the screens do nothing).

There is a reason the stock airbox is big and clunky - it slows down incoming air so the CV carbs have a stable and predictable volume of air to pull from, regardless of the speed you're going. This is also why the individual Uni filters directly on the carbs works so well (this is what I have). They are drawing air from a non-turbulent region in a predictable way (under the fuel tank).

The hybrid system I'm considering is a stack INSIDE a uni filter - it should be quite do-able with some modification to the anti-collapse spring, but I don't want to mess with tuning right now, as it's SPOT on (thanks to a proper tuning session).

Speaking of tuning sessions - find yourself a local dyno tuner with a good reputation and spend the money once. They will have a wideband sensor in the exhaust stream and will be able to watch in real time and under load how the motor responds to all manner of throttle inputs, throughout the jetting stages. You bike will be in and out in half a day and it will feel like a whole new animal! Plus it will save you a LOT of time from changing one circuit at a time, then test riding (The only way to do it properly!), then pulling them out again and whatnot.

Any-who, hope this all helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts