Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Scary....to think about how the US Govmint will implement that concept.

Probably pick the the best and brightest writers from the IRS to assembly the driving regulation manuals.

Question 1:
When approaching an intersection you should yield to traffic if:
A. The color of your traffic light is greater than the color of the traffic light from the last two intersections you crossed.
B. You previous yielded on another test, but were the head driver of the household and you own less than 2 cars.
C. If you recently moved to the state and you no longer own the car you are driving.
D. Never it's a state law.
E. All of the above, except on Tuesday.

·
Registered
225 Posts
the national DL, is code for a national ID card.

as a libertarian, I'm fully opposed to a national ID card, especially if it includes an RFID setup.

but, as a radical nationalist, I'd agree to carry one, if i was assured that anyone who didn't have one would be deported back to whereever they came from without passing go, or collecting 200 dollars.

i dunno, i'm kinda on the fence about this one.

·
Registered
865 Posts
psychoboy said:
the national DL, is code for a national ID card.

as a libertarian, I'm fully opposed to a national ID card, especially if it includes an RFID setup.

but, as a radical nationalist, I'd agree to carry one, if i was assured that anyone who didn't have one would be deported back to whereever they came from without passing go, or collecting 200 dollars.

i dunno, i'm kinda on the fence about this one.
I don't know if I would be in favor of a national drivers license, but as far as a national ID card, we all got one when we were very young......It's called a social security card. By the way, isn't a CDL license already a national drivers license?

·
Registered
225 Posts
morepower said:
I don't know if I would be in favor of a national drivers license, but as far as a national ID card, we all got one when we were very young......It's called a social security card. By the way, isn't a CDL license already a national drivers license?
yes, but i'm not required to carry my SSI card with me at all times, nor am I required to present it to any authority that asks for it.

I am only required to show it to an employer who is going to pay my SSI bill, and to the SSI administrators when I ask for some of that money later.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
to play devil's advocate for one sec...

a passport is a national ID card...it tells the world where ever you travel that you are an american...there is no 'california passport', or 'New york passport', its a national ID....

unless you can get states to talk/share info?

...for example, didn't the 9/11 hijackers have multiple states licenses? and closer to home, drunk drivers with multiple charges in one state going to another and bingo..new record, new license. There was a nun I read about a few years ago that was reassigned from CA (if I remember right ) to florida ( or was it FL to CA?..anyway) she had just the ID card but the new hame state issued a FULL class c license even though she NEVER LEARNED TO DRIVE!!...

·
Registered
188 Posts
A national id is against all that we stand for as a nation. We are reacting in fear of terrorism and this reaction of fear is clouding our better judgement.

With an id containing an RFID the limits are endless to what can and can't be done to "govern" you more closely. The limits are also endless to the damage that can be done because of a single id. Technology is, by far, not the perfect answer to our problems. I have a Masters in Digital Forensics and duplicating and RFID is almost a million times easier than duplicating an ID. I could go into further detail but not in this forum.

Look at the facts, decide what you think is best and then talk to your senator or representative.

--BB

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Quote: especially if it includes an RFID setup.

Kingham said: That is the truely scary part of it.
You wouldn't have to worry if you'd just stay out of THOSE places. You know what I mean... :lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Although I'm up for linking DMV systems together across the states to help nab those people that lose thier license in one state and get another in a different state, I'm totally against this "National ID"!!!
Perhaps the DMV's across the nation should stop giving out licenses to just any one, as this is the most saught after means of identification. Some places even ask for your social security number.

·
Registered
139 Posts
From what I have read, there is really very little impact on us as DL holders, other than the increased cost of the system being passed on to us. :x

Here's a link to an overview of the Real ID Act of 2005, as presented by the National Congress of State Legislatures:
http://www.ncsl.org/standcomm/sctran/realidsummary05.htm

It looks like the Federal Government's "INTENT" is to set some standards for things like documentation, proof of immigration status, minimum information required on the DL, etc. And they also want the states to link their systems to each other so that one state can easily reference another state's data. Also, there doesn't appear to be any mention of an RFID in the cards, or anything like that. I also didn't see anything about testing standards or skills assessment. So that will continue to vary widely from state-to-state.

The article I read about this mentioned something about fingerprints on the license, but I didn't see that in the actual legislation. Maybe I missed that.

Anyway, I don't really see it as being much more big-brother-ish than it already is. I just see it as a big inconvenience for the state DMVs and a big drain on our pockets as taxpayers.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
628 Posts
ID

It is not clear to me what the concern for a national ID is all about.

I am in a profession that requires a state and federal background check. The result of the check indicates I have no criminal background.
Yet when I travel by air in the USA, I am asked only to see my driver's license!!

Yet the guy sitting next to me on a plane has an illegal driver's license,social security card, and passport, BUT no criminal background check card. Plus he is trained to fly at a nationally, top drawer FL flight school and on his way to the Twin Towers.

Tell me what I am missing!!!

Lastly, I would wonder about the governors who are most vocal in opposing this law!!! Maybe a criminal background check would be in order.

My .02.

Jim

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
How many of you are commercial drivers? class a? class b?..those licenses are all done though DOT (dept. of trans.) regulatiing a common standard for all states, so a driver from Cali is as qualified as one from maine..effectively, its a national license/endorsement but with you local state logo...I know I was a class A.

if your in the military or work for the fed and you need to take an official vehicle as part of your duties, there is a federal drivers license you suppose to have...had one when I served.

and I believe the internation drivers license is a federally issued document (if any has one just jump here, give us the lowdown on those...).

basically, they already exist the DOT already regulates how states issue, and the driving standards, (so if driver in CA moves to MO, the its not like going to a foriegn country).
...the real problem, is states-fed and state-state communication, the sharing of databases to catch duplicates (like with 9/11 highjackers, they had licenses from multiple states ), flagging the unusual (like drunks state hopping) and bogus #'s (illegals/etc..)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did someone repeal the 10th amendment? You know, that (apparently), old fashioned state's rights thing. Every act like this just weakens our constitutional form of government.

Now back to motorcycles and such ... :)

·
Registered
884 Posts
The "Real ID Act of 2005" is not about enforcing equal laws & regulations on all drivers across the USA. Personally, I wish they WOULD. Some states allow passing on the shoulder ("...with adequate visibility") and others do not. Some states allow splitting lanes & others do not. Some states allow "Right on Red" while others do not. I really wish every state was on the same page so that I wouldn't have to worry about how I'm driving when I'm not in Texas. But, that's not what "Real ID Act of 2005" is all about.

It's about linking the states & federal databases on any "state-issued ID card" - not just drivers' licenses. Again, I don't think this is such a bad thing if it'd still allow me all the freedoms I still have. But, if I'm late on paying my taxes (or my # doesn't agree with the IRS's & they want to "shut me down"), I don't want to be stopped from taking a plane flight up to Dallas or beyond. That's the danger in all this.

Writing your governor has nothing to do with whether we are required to comply with such law. Those laws are passed by the Federal Houses of Representatives & Senate. So, the appropriate thing would be to write your Federal Senator & Rep. They're the only ones who have the power to prevent this law from going into effect. It's already a done deal. The thing is that if our state doesn't comply, then all our state's citizens could be banned from taking a flight out of town. So, the time to force repeal is now, or we suck up & take it.

As for the Social Security Card, it's not SUPPOSED to be an ID card. However, I had to have one when I've opened every bank account. I've had to provide it when I've wanted any credit card (even a store card). We may not be required by law to provide our SSN, but then the bank/retailer doesn't have to open our account if we don't give it to them. When I rented a house to someone, I required that they give me their SSN so that I could do a background check. If they didn't give it to me, I couldn't do the background check because that's one of the important pieces of information that weeds the "John Smith" applying to rent my house out of the thousands of other "John Smith" persons who are in the USA. He didn't have to give it to me, but I wouldn't let him get past the background check without it.

So, I'm litterally against a national id card because of it's potential for what we consider abuse of us by the governments. BUT, I think that we should have some way of identifying those people who have backgrounds that could possibly indicate the propensity toward the actions that were perpetrated on 9/11. Jefferson or Franklin said "those who give up a little liberty for a little security shall end up with neither of both." But, we already give up a bunch of liberty for a little security - the otherwise result would be simple anarchy.

Lots to think about here. But, I do wish the states had standard traffic laws all across the USA.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Christopher said:
I found this article very interesting. A National Drivers License ? Would this also mean a National motorcycle endorsement ?

Here is the article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070204/ap_on_re_us/real_id_4

Chris
I think it's a decent idea in principle. It's crazy the number of differences in licensing, registration and road laws as you go across the country. Unfortunately, I'm sure the actual implementation wouldn't be as good as the idea.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts