Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
VT 1100c 1994
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I remenber frrom other forums that they had a function that one's got a warning when replying to an discussion older then xxx, very helpful feature. Maybe helpfule here as well?
kind regards
florian

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I used to moderate a forum that did that. It was definitely helpful.
I don't fault a new user for bringing up a necro-topic in the hopes of finding info or any user who thinks some additional new info might be worthwhile to add for those who are searching forums.

But trying to buy some saddlebags that were on sale eight years ago... ;)

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
We do not have that feature currently and have not seen a large request for it.

Jeff M
I’m sure there isn’t a large request, since there is an awesome crowd around here to answer stuff. But ye old zombie thread gets pulled up a fair amount. I wouldn’t call it a pressing issue, but maybe worthwhile just the same when people are asking a person that hasn’t been on in years

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
I think it's funny that new members get told to use the search as their question has been asked a thousand times, but then get ostracized for bring an old thread up to the top.

·
Administrator
1997 Valkyrie Standard
10,828 Posts
In fairness, use the search feature does not get tossed around that often. Don't get me wrong it does occur but not at the rates people are making it out to be. If I am off base here let me know and I can make sure I am addressing it. It's hard to participate in a discussion forum if discussions are being shut down before they even get started.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
In fairness, use the search feature does not get tossed around that often. Don't get me wrong it does occur but not at the rates people are making it out to be. If I am off base here let me know and I can make sure I am addressing it. It's hard to participate in a discussion forum if discussions are being shut down before they even get started.

I guess it was more an observation of forums in general, not specifically this one, but I do see it here.

·
Administrator
1997 Valkyrie Standard
10,828 Posts
Oh it does happen that is a fact. I am probably sensitive due to a recent heated exchange via private message with a member who blasted me for the same thing. He was adamant that in his words "All new members are being told to use the search feature". He then went on to critique my performance or lack thereof for not reprimanding members who are telling others to search the forum. Granted he had examples of threads where new members are told to search the forum but this same individual would not give up his narrative when I provided plenty of evidence to the contrary. That said, maybe it is something to be watchful of, having no discussion negates one of the purposes of having a forum.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not sure if this has been mentioned...
The "Recommended Reading" list that appears at the bottom of every page (even this one) has old threads on the list.
I'm guessing that list is generated by some default internal search feature.
I've been sucked into clicking on them, only to find out they are OLD.
I don't do that anymore :rolleyes:
Perhaps that's where newbs click to drag up old threads out of the archives.
just a guess,
:)

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,259 Posts
The knowledge never goes away from old posts either.
New members just need to know look at the top left, Discussion Starter • to see the date of the reply box. It is very good to join the solved problems on some of the newer posts to older posts where the issues weren't resolved. Keep up the good work on the forum Spiritman.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts