Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting some new pipes for my 06 Shadow Spirit. I would like to see what others personal preference is. The two Brands I have been eyeing are Cobra and Vance and Hines. What kind of experience have others had with these two and what do you prefer?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm a little biased and short on experience with others but, I LOVE my Cobra Streetrods. I bought them used from a member here. They have baffles installed and IMO, sound great. Nice soft rumble at stops and they really "bite" as you get on the throttle. My friend has a big Harley and "put my loud pipes back on cause you were drowning me out" was his quote. I don't think they're too loud but they do sound nice.

With that said, don't expect that low low low rumble the bigger bikes get the Shadow just doesn't have the compression and displacement but they still sound nice.

One of these days, I'll remove the baffles just to see but for now I'm satisfied.

Hope that helps.

PS. I have them on a 2006 Shadow Spirit

·
Registered
680 Posts
I went with V&H for a few reasons, from bikes I've heard in person and on youtube I preferred them over the Cobras plus, I noticed a decent amount of people on here claim that the Cobras are a bit thin on the walls. Since the two brands are priced pretty evenly, I decided to go with V&H and really enjoy them, granted I've modified them a bit to get them more to my liking but as Allen said, ya can only get so much sound out of a small 750.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
VH are better quality in my opinion.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've heard nothing but good reviews mainly about both companies. I went with a set of V&H straightshots and am really pleased with them. I really don't have any experience with the cobras.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Vance & Hines. Having had stock, Samsom (Long shots), Cobra (Slip ons and drags) and currently VH (Claccic II) pipes on my Shadow. The best quality were the stocker and VH. Cobras and Samsons were both extremely thin walled and Bluing prone, Samsom prone to cracking. Best sound was the VH and Samsons. Cobras were all raspy and loud barely a step up from modified stock. Cobras tend to be the cheapest....

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Having had both Cobra drag pipes and now the V&H Pro Pipe HS it's Vance and Hines hands down. Better quality, better look, and way better sound. I hated the Cobra's I had. Thin walled tinny, raspy, blatty wet fart sound. Looked cheap (they were) sounded even cheaper. Of course a lot of the complaints about the Cobras were made worse by the Spirit 1100's twin pin engine which isn't very pleasing sound wise to begin with. It just doesn't sound good with most exhaust systems. The Pro Pipe is the only one I've heard that I actually like. On a 750 the sound should be much more pleasing with the single pin engine it has.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Having had both Cobra drag pipes and now the V&H Pro Pipe HS it's Vance and Hines hands down. Better quality, better look, and way better sound. I hated the Cobra's I had. Thin walled tinny, raspy, blatty wet fart sound. Looked cheap (they were) sounded even cheaper. Of course a lot of the complaints about the Cobras were made worse by the Spirit 1100's twin pin engine which isn't very pleasing sound wise to begin with. It just doesn't sound good with most exhaust systems. The Pro Pipe is the only one I've heard that I actually like. On a 750 the sound should be much more pleasing with the single pin engine it has.
That looks great on your bike, one of these days I'll have those on my Sabre :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Vance & Hines can make any bike sound awesome.

As far as their Cruzers go (or whatever they're calling their line for the smaller bore bikes), they offer a rich and deep rumble, while the various Cobra pipes sound more raspy by comparison.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
I bought Cobra because I had them before already on a used bike and liked them and I use the Cobra EFI2000 as well. But I don't run them unbaffled. I bought them because I disliked 2-1 Stock pipes that sounded like a Lincoln. Wanted a little more sound and duals. My last bike VT1100, had Cobra Drag pipes without a shield and they turned blue. but that didn't bother me as much as the sound with the baffles IN. They were too loud without the baffles but had a lower note. I have heard all the pipes on these bikes and all in all though these metrics sound like metrics with aftermarket pipes......only louder. They will never have the much sought out even stock sound of the Harley cadence, depth or note.

·
Registered
128 Posts
my V&H pipes are AWESOME! sound & quality...

·
Registered
662 Posts
I just liked the look of the V&H better than the Cobra. They had the look of a heavier made product.

Install was straight forward, easy, and everything lined up as advertised. The have a very good sound. Have gotten several very positive comments on the pipes sound.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts