Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there done a vinyl wrap on their bike? I'm pretty good at a lot of things. So, with a bit of practice, I'm pretty sure I could pull it off. It looks time consuming, but fairly straight forward as far as technique. My biggest concern is durability. How well does it hold up? Any info you could share is appreciated.

· Premium Member
3,352 Posts
What is this 'Vinyl Wrap' of which you speak, Sir?

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,902 Posts
One company offered "Big buck$" to advertise thisaway...
John boy was thinking about having his VTX as an "advertising Poster" but declined once he investigated the demands, methods and techniques...
+PLUS+ He didn`t want some advertising firm disassembling/reassaembling his Bike...
Smart move, I think ;)

· Registered
262 Posts
I work at a sign shop, and let me tell you that wrapping is ...tuff. My son and I wrapped my bike (finished about a week ago) and did OK on the fenders, steering covers and radiator cover, but had lots of difficulty with the tank. Tried to use all white, but had to piece it with flat black. Now it's two toned--white on top, black on bottom. I have seen guys wrap helmets, so I know it can be done.

On the other hand, we are not very good at installing wraps, which is why at my shop I hire an installer when we need to wrap a vehicle. There is definitely a technique to it. Getting all the frame parts wrapped would be very time consuming.

I intend to post photos, but its so cold here right now, will have to wait.

· Registered
177 Posts
I own a sign shop and wrap all kinds of vehicles. Wraps only last 3-5 years tops, sometimes less. The inks used to print the wraps are rated for 3 years and the vinyl material is about 3-4 years. The addition of a clear over laminate will extend the life of the product by 2-3 years.

It is really a type of short term advertising that is meant to be replaced every 12 to 36 months. The prep needed to wrap is similar to the prep needed when painting.

I have done side panels and fenders that were removed from bikes but have never done a tank and have no desire to as there are too many complex curves to tanks.

Expect to pay a premium price to have a bike wrapped.

Don't even think of doing it yourself as you will just be throwing your money away.

That said, vinyl used for pinstripes, accents, logos or emblems is a great idea. Making a 2-tone tank (teardrop ovals on the sides) look really cool. Just don't wrap unless you have a bottomless pocketbook and low expectations.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great advice guys. Thanks especially Chuck. That's what I was mainly wondering, was durability. I got some sample pieces of vinyl, and they didn't seem too tough, marred easily. I guess I'll wait til next winter and just have it painted.
Thanks again.

· Registered
19 Posts
Reviving this old topic. I have had my new bike for about a month and I am already tired of the shiny silver tank, fenders and side covers. I want to change to matte black.

Is this expensive to do? Roughly what would this cost? I would never try to do this myself.

· Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Great for pinstripes, accents , etc. But forget trying to wrap the tank , someone real experienced might with a heat gun do it well , but even on flat surface it is important to keep air bubbles and wrinkles from happening. Forget fixing them.

You might be able to do a good sized "teardrop" shape on the sides of the tank , but stick to solid colors rather than the printed artwork like on the sides of vans.

· Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,138 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Yeah I would not even think of wrapping it myself. I would take it to some pro place. Is the plastidip the stuff to dip your tools in to give them a rubberized grip?

· Registered
265 Posts
That's how it started, it's branched out a bit since then. For black and a couple other basic colors you can get it at walmart. A few other companies have come out with similar since it became big.

It's hard to mess up, easy to fix if you do.

· Registered
19 Posts
That's how it started, it's branched out a bit since then. For black and a couple other basic colors you can get it at walmart. A few other companies have come out with similar since it became big.

It's hard to mess up, easy to fix if you do.
Oh man, quick Google has a lot if info on this. I’m gonna start reading about it.

Thank you for the lead!
:nerd:

· Registered
19 Posts
I you use plastidip, just make sure gas never comes in contact with it.
Makes want to design some type of stainless steel collar, bib, that funnels any drips or dribbles away.

:laugh:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.