Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t know much about vinyl wraps and motorcycles but one thing I don’t like about my bike is that the front motorcycle rims paint has deteriorated, could I vinyl wrap it to give it a new look? I’d save a lot of money when it comes it get a new rim and getting the tire on...What would be the pros and cons of it? Any question I didn’t think about?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,071 Posts
I never heard of it, but maybe it is being done.
You could spray paint it with Plastic Dip and it can be removed easily if you don't like it.
I see there is a product called Super Wrap spray but much more expensive.
I am cheap so I would get some VHT black engine or frame paint . Its tough.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
821 Posts
To properly apply vinyl wrap and have it look good the paint or surface underneath it needs to be as smooth and defect free as possible, vinyl wrap isn’t intended as a cover-up solution but rather an alternative to paint that has the added benefit of protecting the surface underneath it while also being removable down the road. I used to wrap entire vehicles, the smaller the area and the more compound curves the harder it is to cleanly apply vinyl, a seasoned installer would probably try to talk you out of wrapping wheels as it won’t be the best option for the application.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2
203 Posts
This is apropos to me as I've been thinking about a wrap job. I've researched chrome wrap and it looks damn chrome-like in pictures. I have a heat gun and spent hours using it to cover at least 50 model airplanes with Monokote heat shrink covering...the principles are the same as far as I can tell. Warm, stretch, smooth, pull, warm...keep doing that until it looks awesome or she orgasms. I've chromed my bike with all the chromes and have a dream where tank and fenders are too. I have a chrome helmet. I'd like to see what all chrome as in head to toe could be like, but don't want to paint. Wrap is removable, why not? @Froth would chrome vinyl on a tank work? Compound curvy as all hell, yes. This would be a problem...

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
I don’t know much about vinyl wraps and motorcycles but one thing I don’t like about my bike is that the front motorcycle rims paint has deteriorated, could I vinyl wrap it to give it a new look? I’d save a lot of money when it comes it get a new rim and getting the tire on...What would be the pros and cons of it? Any question I didn’t think about?
As mentioned by Froth, all the curves and angles would make the wrap extremely difficult, and the job would look worse than the worst present any of us has ever wrapped.
Get them media blasted, then repainted or powder coated. Or leave them be and use the money to fill the tank and ride.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,313 Posts
Paints that will stick to anything are Black Bath Tub Epoxy, I painted rims with that and it worked great. It is so slick that the one time I brought my wheels to be balanced and the stick on weights they tried to use wouldn't stick and fell off. That paint has now been on my rims for years. Rustoleum Hammered is another paint which will stick to anything, I froze up the chrome shaft on a shock when I was trying to paint my shock springs. I wasn't expecting anything to stick to slick unprepped chrome. Painting them is just another option.

·
Registered
821 Posts
This is apropos to me as I've been thinking about a wrap job. I've researched chrome wrap and it looks damn chrome-like in pictures. I have a heat gun and spent hours using it to cover at least 50 model airplanes with Monokote heat shrink covering...the principles are the same as far as I can tell. Warm, stretch, smooth, pull, warm...keep doing that until it looks awesome or she orgasms. I've chromed my bike with all the chromes and have a dream where tank and fenders are too. I have a chrome helmet. I'd like to see what all chrome as in head to toe could be like, but don't want to paint. Wrap is removable, why not? @Froth would chrome vinyl on a tank work? Compound curvy as all hell, yes. This would be a problem...
View attachment 289181
Chrome vinyl is THICK, and it needs to be laminated on top before it’s taken off the roll or the chrome Layer will scratch. Wrapping a tank in a single piece even with very very thin single layer normal flexible film such as Avery is difficult enough, you will almost certainly have to seam and apply in multiple pieces to do it in chrome but if you’re good at seaming it CAN work, but chrome vinyl sucks to apply. Ask me how I know...

That job cost over $4,000. The roll of Vinyl was $1800.

Reactions: kesanders

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,472 Posts
I have nothing nice to say about vinyl so I wont say anything.... oh wait, I just did.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have nothing nice to say about vinyl so I wont say anything.... oh wait, I just did.
I’ve been applying it for years... I hate it more. Guaranteed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts