Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My wife, buddy and his wife are planning a ride up to Chicago in June to get some burgers at Kumas Conner on west belmont :lol: :lol: . I know its a long ride just to eat but, I hear that the food there is well worth it. My wife and I will be on the ACE, Buddy and his wife will be on a Marauder 1600. We live about 410 miles away. We will be comming up on a Friday and leaving on Sunday.
Im sure we will do some sight seeing while there.

Is there anything that one has to see in Chicago?

My wife wants a true Chicago style pizza while we are in town. Any suggestions?

What kind of neighborhood is it in. IE pretty good, fair, or in the hood bring a big gun lol.

Any good inexpensive hotels in the area? Prefer one with a parking garage for the bikes.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Visiting

It's not the best but by far not the worst area in Chicago. Be ready to wait in line for a long time. Weekend waits can be up to 2 1/2 hours. As far as Pizza, there are many great pizza places. Hotels? I live in the Chicago burbs and don't stay long in Chicago. You might do better to stay at a hotel outside the city limits, it'll be cheaper.

·
Banned
3,456 Posts
carscomefirst said:
Hi all. My wife, buddy and his wife are planning a ride up to Chicago in June ........
Ever been in a REALLY big city on a bike ??
(St. Louis just barely counts.)

Either way, stay OFF the Interstates near rush hour.
Lots of idiot drivers up there that will run you off the road just for fun.
Sunday is about the only time that traffic isn't a suicide run.

That presents a problem, though as there are scant few major side streets that don't have a stop light/sign every 3 blocks (or less).

I've done lots of time there in a cage. I wouldn't go anywhere near the place on a bike........unless I had to for some reason.

·
Registered
33 Posts
if your looking for a good ride.. I'd probably totally sear clear of the city of Chicago all together and visit the burbs.... if your looking for a nice run after a good bite to eat I'd head up to Starved Rock great bike ride. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we got our hotel reservations made. staying at the rennisance o'hare.
Hotels are kinda pricey up there :shock:

·
Banned
3,456 Posts
carscomefirst said:
Well, yes, and some more than others.
The one you chose is probably second only to lake-front downtown.
Why in the world would you chose something close to the airport if you don't have business AT the airport ????
And then comment on the price ??
Doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
carscomefirst said:
Crook County Sales tax.... gotta love it. Rephrase your statement to read "EVERYTHING is expensive up there." Just like everything is under construction. I recommend the burbs for a nice ride. Bartlett, St. Charles, Geneva.... All the Barringtons. Burr Ridge has reeeeeealllly nice and expensive homes to look at.... If you wanna see the city, see it from the safety of a car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is true that we have no business at the airport.
We chose this hotel due to the the price, the ratings, it looks nice from the web site, and its close to public transportation. While in town I dont think we will do much riding. We will be arriving Friday night and leaving Sunday morning.
It is only about 7 miles from kuma's corner, which is the one place we plan to eat. The price isn't that bad at this one, only $100 per night.
Some of the ones we looked at downtown were $250-$600 per night. Some of the ones we looked at seemed little more than a glorified crack houses.
I didnt mean this hotel was pricey, just a lot of the ones we looked at.
I have ridden in a couple of big cities in my life. I agree St Louis doesnt count as a big city.
To us the destination isn't as important as the ride there.

·
Banned
3,456 Posts
carscomefirst said:
The price isn't that bad at this one, only $100 per night.
For the area, that IS a good price. You should like it there.....unless the plane noise bothers you at night. Weekends are the "off season" for them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in the city... about 4 blocks from Comisky Park.. or what they now want us to call US Cellular Field, ugh! (BTW,,,I'm a Cubs fan). Millennium Park is a MUST to visit. It's at the corner of Monroe and Columbus Streets. Across the street is Grant Park and sometimes they have free concerts and stuff going on there or Movie in the Park night. You could go to the City of Chicago website and look up the schedules. But there is ALWAYS something cool going on down there. Also, Navy Pier is fun. You can't miss it if you're on Lake Shore Drive. I would have suggested you make hotel reservations at Midway area hotels. Much cheaper but you have to make sure you're at a big name hotel like Holiday Inn or Marriott or something like that. Personal message me if you have any other questions since there is so much more I can tell you about. My husband and I ride all the time in and around Chicago and there's always something to do. It's one of the greatest cities in the world. =)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts