Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 vlx 600 running rich at idle. I have new plugs new air filter ,fresh oil and filter. I have pulled the carb and taken apart and cleaned. It still is running rich at idle you can smell it and if you rev it up black smoke comes out the tail pipes. I have tried adjusting the idle scew and you can screw it all the way in and it never dies. It seems to run allright down the highway. I have a service manual and I have tried about everything I know. Any Help?

·
Registered
423 Posts
corvettester,
I'd have to guess that your enrichening circuit(choke) is out of adjustment and is constantly putting fuel into the engine, thus making it overly rich. Check out the measurement the manual gives for the enrichening valve to see if that's the problem.

Brian

·
Registered
34 Posts
Check the air filter. Got a _very_ used '83 500 last year and noticed the filter looked dirty and like they had used motor oil on it. Fixed a ton of other stuff and it ran lots better than when I got it, so I forgot about the filter. Winter passed and after replacing the battery it ran sorta ok, but was 'stinky' - the exhaust smelled of gas, and it wasn't idling right at startup especially. I remembered the nasty filter and replaced it with a new Uni filter and used actual air filter oil. Runs better than ever now. I think the motor oil had congealed slightly over the winter or something. Not saying yours is in anywhere near the same shape, but it might be worth a look!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The choke is just a pull cable and it is going all the way in when you push it back. The air filter is new. The float is not adjustable if it is out of spec you just buy a new one. Will the float let that much fuel in? It runs 37.00 the needle is 26.00 . Does anybody have a carb we good switch out? All the shops are weeks behind I need to fix it myself. Thanks

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
corvettester said:
The choke is just a pull cable and it is going all the way in when you push it back. The air filter is new. The float is not adjustable if it is out of spec you just buy a new one. Will the float let that much fuel in? It runs 37.00 the needle is 26.00 . Does anybody have a carb we good switch out? All the shops are weeks behind I need to fix it myself. Thanks
If the float is out of spec, you tweak it back in to spec...
It's not necessary to buy a new one unless the old one is warped bad enough it can't be tweaked back.
Yes, a improperly set float can cause rich and flooding conditions.
Generally, if a float was sticking open, you'd notice the rich
condition throughout.... not just at idle.

Also, just because the cable is going back in does not mean the
enriching valves are closing.

This is a basic carbureted engine. The only things that cause a rich condition
are the SE valves are stuck open, air bleed jets are clogged,
the float valve isn't working, the float isn't adjusted, or the air cleaner is clogged up.

If you are adjusting the mixture screws and it's not helping,
I'd be looking at the air jets. Those mixture screws control the air jets.
If you are running the screws in and it's not giving the idle circuit more
air through the jets, your mixture isn't changing.
While the air bleed jets being clogged isn't very common, it's certainly a possibility.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Traded it in without fixing it?!?!?! What are you, some kind of quitter!?! :wink:

Enjoy the new bike.

--Justin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Wife was gettin tired of me spending all night in the garage. I did drive it to the dealership about 20 miles away. She said I had enough stuff to work on she wanted to go riding. So we traded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.