Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2005 VLX 600 for the wife. The bike has 18k. I rode it around the first day, parked it over night. This morning I notice a small oil leak. Is this a common problem? This is my second VLX, my first one had the same oil leak. I don't know where its coming from but its dripping from the bottom of the engine block. Please help.

-Jerry

·
Registered
588 Posts
Just bought a 2005 VLX 600 for the wife. The bike has 18k. I rode it around the first day, parked it over night. This morning I notice a small oil leak. Is this a common problem? This is my second VLX, my first one had the same oil leak. I don't know where its coming from but its dripping from the bottom of the engine block. Please help.

-Jerry
I'm not the one to help you with where its leaking from (i have zero mechanical knowledge) but I've had like 25 shadows and only one leaked a drop of oil (was a Vlx with 45k miles). In my experience Hondas aren't known to commonly leak oil. Now EVERY American bike I've had has leaked oil.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I sounds like the oil plug may not be tight enough or that the threads may have gotten iffy. My 2006 has never leaked a drop and if the weather will cooperate I'll see 65,000 (all mine) on the odo before the end of the year. You're the first vlx owner I've heard tell of an oil leak.
You might try finding the source more earnestly and you could also order a new drain plug, they're cheap.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sounds like the oil plug may not be tight enough or that the threads may have gotten iffy. My 2006 has never leaked a drop and if the weather will cooperate I'll see 65,000 (all mine) on the odo before the end of the year. You're the first vlx owner I've heard tell of an oil leak.
You might try finding the source more earnestly and you could also order a new drain plug, they're cheap.

Yeah, it looks like it's coming from the drain plug. The washer is missing too. Will that make any difference?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep.That's whats keeps it from leaking. ;) :)
Wow, I didn't know a washer will make a difference. Can I buy one from Home Depot or Lowes. Or does it have to be OEM.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Wow, I didn't know a washer will make a difference. Can I buy one from Home Depot or Lowes. Or does it have to be OEM.
You should be able to get one from any automotive store.They are a crush washer,made for drain plugs.
;) :)

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Yeah, it looks like it's coming from the drain plug. The washer is missing too. Will that make any difference?
It still could be just the threads on the bolt itself. I just put on my first washer only on my last oil change. I only bought it because the guy that did my clutch drained the oil and rounded the head of the bolt, so while ordering the bolt I got the washer. Never ever saw a washer there.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Check to see what mm they are. I got mine from the Honda car dealer for cheap. Mine happen to be 14mm. The new crush washer should do the trick.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
YUP The crush washers are usually copper and well Crush into all the imperfect sealing areas around the screw to stop the leaks, They use a similar type gasket for the exhaust too. Cheap and should stop your leak.

Dauntae

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts