Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member saying hello to all. I think this is a great site with a lot of usefull imformation and help available. I bought the little woman a 2002 VLX 600 Deluxe about a year ago, her first bike so I needed something low to the ground and manageable and it has worked out good so far. She took the safety course and has her endorsement and rides everyday weather permitting and is hooked, she road behind me for 5 years before she decided she wanted her own bike. We are both in our 50's and riding is our hobby, I have been riding for 40 years. I have been fixing her bike up and wanted to get rid of the pillion seat and put a rear fender rail or fender bra on instead, has anyone done this modification? Coud a luggage rail off another Shadow be adapted? I have seen some fender bras on a few Vulcans that look nice but I guess whatever I decide to put back there the 2 lugs sticking up that the pillion attatches to will have to be cut off. Again hello to all and thanks for any help with this.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I believe those 'lugs' will unbolt from the bottom side of the fender. Then you just have holes to deal with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My daughter bought her first bike this year. It was a 2002 VLX 600 with only 301 miles on it. Don't you just love people who never ride? It is warrantied and she has 3000+ on it now with out problems. So it wasn't a lemon.

Anyway, she's only going to ever use it as a solo bike. But she's keeping the pillion seat and adding a sissy bar. It gives a nice place to put a t-bag for traveling.

Just something to consider. That's what her mother did on her Shadow. But daddy ripped off his pillion and had a custom luggage rack made. So, as in everything motorcycles, "let the rider decide".

Now that I didn't help at all, have a nice day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VLX rear fender

Hey to each his own, I am going for a different look as my wife will never ride 2 up either and we have the Aspencade for toting stuff. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aspencade too? What? All you have is Hondas???

Not us! We have a VTX 1800 & a Shadow 750 & a VLX 600 & a CB450.

Oops!!! Never mind.....

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
limo$mitch said:
...the 2 lugs sticking up that the pillion attatches to will have to be cut off. Again hello to all and thanks for any help with this.
The two lugs are just bolts with a sleeve to make them stand up. You can unbolt them and secure the fender with short 6mm bolts. Then you just have indentations to fill or cover, or you can just leave them there and exposed.

The VLX looks great as a single seater!

CB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VLX rear fender

Not only the two hondas but a 1991 Vmax as well, this one still puts a smile on my face. Thanks for the replys on this fender thing, will look a little closer and see whats next. Thinking I would still like to put a curved luggage rack [ more chrome ] of some sort but If I can't find one or a place to build one the studded fender bra may be the way to go. Was trying to post a picture with this but I can't get it to work, what am I doing wrong...Thanks[/img]

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mitch click the 'quote' button on a post that has a picture in it, like the one just above yours. (not mine, my pic is part of my sig so it won't get quoted). Study how they formatted their code. That's how I learned, and it's easier than trying to give you the code with extra spaces in it so it doesn't get recognized as code.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts