Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having ridden a handful of different bikes, my VLX feels pretty slack, low, and long. I drag pegs regularly. Have any of you guys raised your rear shock settings or lowered your stanchions in the fork crowns to steepen your head angle?

Thanks
-Mike

·
Registered
352 Posts
When I had my VLX I dragged pegs on the regular also. I did adjust the rear shock but it doesn't raise the bike just adjust the preload.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Run do realize it is a Small Cruiser. Slack, Low and Long are design requirements... You missed slow. It is supposed to be that way.

Yes, You can put taller shocks in it. Progressive Suspension. Or fab an extended bracket for the rear shocks. Basically the same as those used to lower the bike, just that it would mve the shock in the opposite direct

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The trick is to ride with the bal of your foot on the pegs. That way you drag your heel before the pegs.

No kidding, that's how I stop from dragging pegs on my Aero. Scares the carp out of me every time my heel drags pavement but it works.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't want a longer fork, that would make it slacker... I would drop the fork a bit in the crowns to steepen the head angle. Then I would raise the rear end a bit to compensate.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I think you should get a different bike. I have had a vlx now for 3 years and yet to drag the pegs. If your driving that aggressively perhaps a sport bike would get you to your accident faster.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I drag my pegs regularily on my "T". Whats the issue? you turn sharp, pegs drag. No harm in that. Every few years you need to replace them I guess but thats it.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
No problem with dragging the pegs. Kinda a trademark of the VLX. One of the selling points of the bike is it's low seat height and stance. Still, it was one of the most fun bikes that I've ridden around town.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I think the OP is worried about something that isn't a problem. It's a cruiser not a sport bike. Buy a sport bike if you want better handling. By the way if you drop the front end down without dropping the back you ae going to have more problems dragging pegs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the OP is worried about something that isn't a problem. It's a cruiser not a sport bike. Buy a sport bike if you want better handling. By the way if you drop the front end down without dropping the back you ae going to have more problems dragging pegs.
Hmm... that's actually backwards from my understanding of two wheeled geometry. By making a bike steeper, you lean less to achieve the same arc at any given speed.

In general, I hear what you guys are saying. I have a cruiser because I commute a long distance, but my heart still wants to drift a turn like a motard. Time to chill out a bit on the VLX...

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
My 1100 rarely drags a peg, but I used to drag my old Samson pipes alot. The VLX is much lower than a VT1100. Longer spacers in the forks will raise them (1" max) and longer shocks or try stiffest preload setting in the rear. Turn wider, and you'll drag less, Braking while in a turn will cause more draging.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
If you dropped the front end the back wouldn't raise up it would just pivot forward. If you want a cruiser that can handle, take a look at a Suzuki 650 Vstrom.
Vstrom is NOT a cruiser. It is a Sport Tourer. Lowering the front would make the dragging worse. It might not lower the back end but it will lower the front where, the pegs are. It will also lower the bike, it also move the center of gravity and weight forward and DOWN.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i've never dragged the pegs on my vlx. I'd suggest the easiest solution would be to look at how your riding rather than modifying the bike.

I do have forward extensions on my pegs though so that might help, might even be your easiest solution if you can't seem to manage to not drag. I think i've only ever dragged pegs on one bike and it was more because of the road then me, it was a slanted up area right on a corner.

The vlx is a great bike for anything but long touring. I personally prefer it low, it rides better with the lower center of gravity if you ask me. Better than my virago where i felt like i was on top of hte world.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Why does this need a solution? There is no problem.
The design of the bike is such that when it leans over the pegs hit the ground BEFORE you run out of tire tread. I taks some sharp turn and have no issues dragging my pegs in fact I actually learned and practiced the skill on an Experienced Riders Course. If I want to do a 18 foot circle or U Turn you bet the pegs are gonna drag. I dont have an issue with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.