Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just kind of curious, vlx 600 is my first cruiser ever owned, I am used to riding my Sport Tour ST1100, is it normal for the vlx to be slow in turns, seems cumbersome to make a turn compare to my 1100, I actually have to turn the handle bar instead of just lean, and if I don't turn the handle bar I end up turning wide (not a good thing)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Noticed it too on my 750, the rake on these bikes are steeper than when I rode my ninja. But I believe the increase rake it gives more straight line stability, but it does make it harder to make tighter turns, usually end up hitting the steering wheel lock in some tighter turns.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I lean, don't have to turn my bars much, now I do on a steady basis go to the dead end on my street and do figure 8's until I'm dizzy, and then I am turning the bars. Other times not so much, except for right or lefts from a stop.

Just because it's a cruiser don't be wary of leaning. It is a low bike, hence the vlx designation, I don't intend to but do scrap the pegs at slower speeds.

It's a good ride, way too many term the vlx as a beginner bike or learner, I have kept mine simply because of it's lines. I really really like it.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Always found VLXs to be very responsive for a cruiser, partly due to the narrow front tire and light weight. Check your tire pressures, practice steering by shifting the bike under you and counter-steering. There need to be lots of steering tools in your kit.

·
Registered
352 Posts
When I rode a VLX I thought it handled great. I would routinely drag pegs through the curves. I never had an issue going wide unless I was going to fast and was dragging the peg already.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My wife's VLX is not smooth in the corner, it seems to bop going around a corner. Have double checked head bearings and fork oil and head nut. Everything was right. Think it is just the way the bike handles.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
My wife's VLX is not smooth in the corner, it seems to bop going around a corner. Have double checked head bearings and fork oil and head nut. Everything was right. Think it is just the way the bike handles.
And I am sure her bike's got good tires and proper inflation. It may be her model year of her bike, I couldn't begin to guess why some find it to bop or flop, hey, I run a car tire and don't experience any of these issues, and didn't with the mc tires either.

Could be a perception thing too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 97 VLX and have noticed that if you hit small bumps when cornering the rear end feels squirmy and wants to move around. Its not difficult to deal with. This is probably the effect of the mono-shock setting. Too firm a setting just jolts you, and too loose feels almost like a flat tire. Experiment with the settings and see what you get, but it looks like you can only get a happy medium.
Otherwise, the VLX only "feels" like it doesnt turn. When in doubt, lean it more, it can handle the tiwsties in the mountains very nicely.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I'd chalk it up to being a cruiser. They just don't handle like sport or even standard bikes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 94' 600vlx that does that exact same thing, but none of my more experienced riding friends found anything wrong with it.
I was planning on getting it service/inspected @ the end of the riding season anyways.

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,097 Posts
Check tire pressure and the setting of the shock. Somehow I had managed to overinflate my rear tire and when taking corners, it felt squirrely. Let it out to around 29psi and it started handling so much better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.