Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So technically I am still a newbie with my VLX. I have only had it 3 weeks but I did two important mods today.

1. Fixed the tank rattle - I First removed the tank (steps can be found by searching for remove vlx tank). I then added to washers behind the rubber gromets that hold the tank in place. Actually I didn't have any wahsers, so I monster garaged some out of metal brackets, but it worked. I then added fabric with an adhesive side on the frame where the tank sits. Put the tank back on, bye-bye rattle.

2. Joined the Holey Order - I purchased a 1 3/4 bi-metal hole saw (I needed a 1/2 drill, but just happened to have one laying around). I removed the center bit because it seemed like it would just get in the way. I then drilled out around the resonator for the top pipe (two metal plates) and then pulled the resonator out. To get to the bottom pipe, I had to loosen the pipes at the engine so I could get the hole saw in position.

Specifics - No more annoying metal on metal tank rattle. It seems like it is much more secure. The pipes are SO MUCH louder. There were four of us wrenching our bikes in the same garage and everyone agreed the sound was beautiful.

I did not have to rejet or even adjust my fuel mixture. All is well and good, running smooth. It seems to bog down at the low end of 2nd now, but I think I just need to shift later.

Oh yeah, I also needed to shim up my passenger foot peg so I pulled the cotter pin, added a piece of gasket material (cut to shape) and put it all back together. Worked like a charm.

If anyone has any questions - please let me know!!!!

· Registered
152 Posts
fixed tank rattle a couple of weeks back.

for the holesaw mod:

lucky you didnt have to rejet!

I put a couple of 5/16 holes in the far back of my baffles and the 2004 vlx would barely pull it self out of the driveway!

whats your altitude out of curiosity?

IM around 1430 feet above sea level.

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Much thinner here - I'm over 4000.

Any other ideas for mods on the VLX? I have been looking for a high-flow K&N, but haven't found one.

I also just put my saddlebag brackets on and now waiting for the bags (should be here any day now).

Thinking about adding a sissy bar and possibly a tool bag, but not sure.

Thoughts?

· Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
Equis454 said:
Any other ideas for mods on the VLX? I have been looking for a high-flow K&N, but haven't found one.

Thoughts?
K&N does not make a high flow air filter for the VLX (99 and newer). The air cleaner housing is shaped differently on the older models, so don't let someone try to convince you otherwise just so they can sell you one.

Not that anyone would do that...
:oops: :oops: :oops:
CB

· Registered
152 Posts
The air filter is not a bottleneck in the flow from what I can tell.

check this.

My bike wont run with a free exhaust.

what does that mean?

LEAN, enough air in to make it lean.
the air filter isnt the problem.

get the mufflers you want, advance the timing ( I havent done this yet but I will) and jet it to match these things.

everyone changes the rear sprocket to a better Hiway RPM.
I like the off the line acceleration, so I dont think I will do that, BUT, I can see how it would make the bike more driveable when changing thru 1st,2nd and 3rd gears in town, less gear drag... so ive thought of that as well.

once i get it jetted right, and the timing advance done, I might change the sprocket then... hopefully enough bottom balls to offset the gear ratio change.

just my random thoughts...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.