Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

well I am fixing to place my order for my new chain and front and rear sprokets. I was going to go ahead and order the stock front sprocket and maybe a 41t rear sprocket. Seems every one has a large debate over 41 vs 40. for the vlx so I think i will get the 41 kinda in the middle there. The big question is what size chain do I get for this. I hear that in most cases when adding a smaller sprocket you just remove to links fro mthe chain. So is this saying that I need to order the stock chain and cut two links out of it. Or can I just buy the chain size that I need.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When I did my sproket change, we had to remove only 1 link, and mine was the o-ring type, so it wasnt that difficult to knock it down one link.
In my opinion, the if your chain is in good shape, I would skip the expense of a new chain and just de-link yours.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yldcats,

Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that you had to always remove the links in twos? As for the chain it's not to bad but I figure it would be best to go ahead and replace the chain and the front sproket as well. Specialy if I have it that far apart already.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I put a 40t on my '95. It now cruises effortlessly at 50 mph. Have even pondered a 38t on my next set. Chain now has 15k on it but sprockets look fine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put a 40t on my '95. It now cruises effortlessly at 50 mph. Have even pondered a 38t on my next set. Chain now has 15k on it but sprockets look fine.
Do you have a VLX? I was under the impresion that on a vlx if you go lower than 40 then you are going to lose a lot on the low end for take offs and such. Also you say your bike cruses good at 50mph with a 40t. That brings me to ask what did it do with the stock sprocket? my vlx with the stock sprocket seems to cruse realy well at 70 even have plenty of power for stepping it up. However I do travel the highway alot and figured it would be in my best intrest to step down those rpms just a tad.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The difference is a little over 9 percent from a stock 44 to a 40. Not a real problem starting off although not as easy as stock, just need clutch control. Yes, it's a VLX.

·
Registered
335 Posts
CrissCross said:
yldcats,

Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that you had to always remove the links in twos? As for the chain it's not to bad but I figure it would be best to go ahead and replace the chain and the front sproket as well. Specialy if I have it that far apart already.
I think the confusion about removing one link or removing them in twos is in how you are counting the links. I call '1 wide pair plus 1 narrow pair' 1 link. The master link is a half link, just the wide pair. Counting this way you can remove just one link.

If, however, you count the narrow section as a link then the wide section as a link then yes you have to remove two links in order to be able to hook the ends back together with your new master link.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
j2man

Thanks for the link great write up.

Trueseaker

Now I got it.

Shiney
The difference is a little over 9 percent from a stock 44 to a 40. Not a real problem starting off although not as easy as stock, just need clutch control. Yes, it's a VLX.
So are you basicly saying on your take offs you are having to hold the cluth in a bit to get the revs up. If so I wonder how much a 41 will be from stock. I ask because my bike rides well in all gears even has plenty of passing power at 70 I was just hopping o get the rpms down a tad at 70 w/o losing to much in the lower gears and at the top end. If I go with a 41 with I still have some good passing power at 70 and how will my take offs be?

·
Registered
209 Posts
CrissCross said:
yldcats,

CrissCross,

Here's a link to chain terminology, with pictures.

Remember, it's an site in the UK and those Limey's can't speak good english like us Americans can. :) One of the things that's different is they're calling a master link a connector link. Same thing, different name.

http://www.co-design.co.uk/dpg/cha/cha7.html Roller chain terminology

One link is the same as an inner link. (Two rollers in one link) A half link has one roller only.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts