Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys i have a VLX400 steed .and i need to tweak out her sound a bit .will blocking the crossover tube mod alone without the holesaw mod require rejetting? Thanks for any help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont want deafening loudness i just want to get rid of that farting exhaust note shadows have.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I dont think blocking the crossover is going to change the sound without removing the baffles. (Or at least drilling them) you wont have to rejet even if you do drill the baffles but most shadows can benefit from rejecting in stock form. Exhaust mods are not nearly as temperamental as intake mods. If you are just looking for a certain sound I would get a stepped drill bit, start the bike and then just drill the center of the baffle one step at a time until you get the sound you want. Keep in mind that its harder to make the hole smaller than bigger so take your time and go in small increments.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont think blocking the crossover is going to change the sound without removing the baffles. (Or at least drilling them) you wont have to rejet even if you do drill the baffles but most shadows can benefit from rejecting in stock form. Exhaust mods are not nearly as temperamental as intake mods. If you are just looking for a certain sound I would get a stepped drill bit, start the bike and then just drill the center of the baffle one step at a time until you get the sound you want. Keep in mind that its harder to make the hole smaller than bigger so take your time and go in small increments.
Thanks kris ,but which is the center of the baffle or do you mean round the centre of the baffle pipe?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
20181018_124909.jpg

Before I decided to build a complete custom exhaust I drilled mine. It definitely improved the sound but I later decided to lose the whole factory muffler mostly for aesthetic reasons but also for weight loss and a very snarky open header sound. Now its a single sraight pipe with a lollipop baffle and I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 283917
Before I decided to build a complete custom exhaust I drilled mine. It definitely improved the sound but I later decided to lose the whole factory muffler mostly for aesthetic reasons but also for weight loss and a very snarky open header sound. Now its a single sraight pipe with a lollipop baffle and I absolutely love it.
My baffle is like this

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Its the same principle. The baffle is full of fiber glass and the center pipes is perforated. The exhuast is forced through the fiber glass and escapes through the perforated pipe. Yours forces exhaust around the outside and directs it out the center while mine performed the same operation but pushes exhaust from the center to the outside.
You can drill anywhere in the end plate to allow unmuffled exhaust to bypass the fiberglass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts