Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking these forums for awhile now, but havent posted much....got a question for y'all though

I have a 1999 vlx600, and i am desperatley trying to locate some rigid mount saddlebags...I will be attending a large university in the fall and am worried about having saddlebags which could be sliced off with easy by some kleptomaniacish individual...

ive looked on all the normal spots "cruisercustomizing" and the like, but have had no luck as of yet

Will bags for other models work? Even if it takes a bit of "southern engineering"?

(and yes, i know i dont have a picture of my bike yet, i have been trying to clean it up before i show it, so call it my "alleged bike" :wink:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes indeed, leatherlyke has the all the features i want.....

.......and a price tag i was hoping to avoid

but, you get what you pay for..... maybe ill just have to convince the wife that i really really need them

thanks for the response

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
one more question about the leatherlykes...

is that tiny little insufficent looking bag they show on their site the only one that will fit the vlx?

I have no problem relocating the signals and such...but im not sure i want to spend 400 bucks on a couple of shoebox sized bags

·
Registered
310 Posts
bags

You can hard mount about any bag and they will look great. Here's an easy way...
1. Find the bag you like.
2. Cut a piece of stiff sheet metal or a piece of 1/4" hard board to fit the inside form of the back of the bag.
3. Buy 2 metric bolts approx. 1/4 inch longer than those thru the fender mount.
4. Drill appropriate holes and bolt 'em on!
5. Optional.... I also add 2 short bolts through the stiffener near the bottom of the bag for strength.
6. With the sheet metal or hard board the mounting is very rigid and you will not need bag supports.

If you are not removing your bags frequently, this is a far better alternative than easy brackets, looks better too. I had easy brackets on my Kaw 1600 but didn't like the look (They cost plenty too!). I mounted mine as indicated above and they look great.

Another alternative is to use a T-Bag slipped over the sissy bar, assumming you have one. Simply remove and use as backpack. My wife does this and it works for her!

When looking for a bag, WIDTH is very important. Many are only 6" wide and that is not big enough for anything. Find an 8" wide bag and it will look and work better for you. Dimensions of about 15" x 11" x 8" is a nice size. Rectangular is more useable than slanted but either will work. Books fit better in rectangular. A bag too small is useless. Using the mounting method above enables you to choose virtually any bag you like and screw 'em on. Good luck.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Re: bags (hard mounting soft bags)

deeppurple52 said:
You can hard mount about any bag and they will look great. Here's an easy way...
1. Find the bag you like.
2. Cut a piece of stiff sheet metal or a piece of 1/4" hard board to fit the inside form of the back of the bag.
3. Buy 2 metric bolts approx. 1/4 inch longer than those thru the fender mount.
4. Drill appropriate holes and bolt 'em on!
5. Optional.... I also add 2 short bolts through the stiffener near the bottom of the bag for strength.
6. With the sheet metal or hard board the mounting is very rigid and you will not need bag supports.

Hey All™,
I've bought a set of RiverRoad bags and I'm having a problem getting the throw-over belt tight enough to get them off the pipes. I mentioned this to a friend of mine, and he said hard mount the bags, and they'll set higher and look better. Right now, the bag over the pipes is about one inch off the pipes, which means it's setting higher than the other bag. The size is 14Wx12Hx6D Large Slants. My lights have been moved and with them tied on, the back of the bag is still hitting the back of the lights because I can't move them any further forward. If I remove the belt that goes over the fender, I think I can move them forward enough to get them away from the lights, and higher off the pipes. I bought them off Ebay for $60 which is about half of what they actually cost, so some way, some how, they ARE gonna work. The bags I took off were REALLY small, and I wanted something larger. I can actually get both of my old bags in one of the new ones and then some. :) After getting them on, I'll update my picture of my bike.

Glen

·
Registered
57 Posts
Let me add my 2 cents. I have an '06 VLX, and I just purchased and installed the Easy Brackets for the VLX600 from Scootworks for $142.45, and Compact Studded Saddlebags (River Road 12" x 10" x 5") from the Motorcycle Online store for $72.95 which I have also installed. Grand Total $215.40....and I did not have to move the rear turn signals. The bags don't rub on the turn signals, and the bags clear the passenger footpegs nicely....a little close, but clear them all the same and they are functional. They are also off the pipes by a good 4 inches. The Easy Brackets work well....you just mount the bags to the Brackets, and when you want to remove your bags you just unlock the bracket with the key, and take the bags with you. Nice and easy, and everything looks good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.