Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have currently installed some Mac stagered exhaust pipes on a 84 VT500c. I have also replaced the air filter with a K&N. When installing the Mac exhaust they claim that i do not need to rejet or adjust anything. The bike to me has always seemed to run a little lean to me. What i am wondering is can i richen things up a bit by adjusting the air/fuel mixture screws or am i going to need to rejet? Also would shimming the needles help the bike run a little more rich or is the only way to change the jets? Thanks for any help you guys can me on this old classic.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
The air/fuel screw affects primarily the idle circuit, and thus the idle jet.
The needle could be shimmed to richen up the mid-range circuit (and consequently the circuit where these bikes spend a lot of time) and you would need to increase the Main jet size to affect the wide-open-throttle circuit, so the bike will perform properly (especially noticable when pulling long hills at highway speed or accelerating onto the highway etc).

If the bike seems to be running fine without changing anything check your sparkplug color (best to be done with new spark plugs immediately installed and tested for a couple minutes of riding at mid throttle then hit the kill switch, coast off the side of the road, let the bike cool some and check for tan color- repeat with new plugs for WOT test). If the test conclude you are not running too lean - then 'they' were correct you don't need to rejet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts