Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
New here and to my 93 vt 1100. I was just wondering if there are any known and common issues with my bike? For example, one of my other bikes was notorious for leaking head and base gaskets. Almost a 100% guarantee you would be replacing them at some point.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Look to replace the stator or regulator (or both) as some point. A couple fuel pump issues have surfaced thru the years also, but not as common as the electrical issues.
There's also seats, exhaust, tire options and handlebar issues that come up every day, but that's mostly a personal preferrence.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Other places to check - rear wheel splines need to be greased with moly(60) regularly and I do it whenever I change tires, but often it's neglected and results is messed up splines - worth a check and removing the rear wheel is easy.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Ditto fuel pump. If it starts to run crappy, don't assume it is ethanol laced fuel. Those fuel pumps can get anemic without failing. Had one buddy spend a bundle to get his carbs redone ("Must be that crappy gas that *****ed up the guts" he said) but it was the fuel pump all along.....spent way more than needed to get it fixed.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. As for pulling the back tire and inspecting the splines... is that easier or harder than a chain drive bike? (never dealt with shaft before). My bike has 18k on the clock but what appears to be the original rubber (the rear has quite a bit of tread, so maybe it's not original), so I'm guessing it has never been greased.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I have a 1993, I got it in 2001 with 5000 on the clock now has about 45000. I have had ZERO issues.
The electrical issues mentioned above are true of ALL shadows. But the issue is easily reedied. I have the stock stator and rectifier, but have upgraded the wiring.
Removing the rear wheel and inscpecting lubing the splines, is somewhere between changing a cars tire and changing a chain. Step are Undo the axel, slip spacers out shift wheel over and roll out.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. What about alignment when assembling?

BTW, how many miles can I expect to get out of the bike, assuming nothing out of the ordinary and I drive normal and perform all maintenance...50, 60, 70k?

I've seen some Goldwings with 70+, but they are a different type of bike/motor...

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Properly maintained, 75-100K is not unreasonable. Maintenance is the Key to longevity. The biggest concern with bikes,is that they are not usually the main transport vehicle. So they get stored or parked for long periods. Excessive and improper storage can be more harmful to a vehicle than miles ridden. Fortunately I live where I can ride year round. Maintenance becomes MORE critical and has more steps for a bike that will be stored, like say over a Wisconsin winter.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point. I've had bikes from the early 80s and late 70s, so I know how important proper storage is... Once I got lazy and didn't top off my fuel tank in my 82 550 LTD. Got it out in spring, ran like crap...really lean. Rust in the tank. I fought those problems **** near a month, when finally a hunk must have got hung up big time in my #2 cylinder on the interstate... lets just say when the fuel level drops to about 1/2 of the normal level in the bowl and you're on the hwy doing 70 in 90 deg temps on a air cooled bike, bad things happen.

After that, I am religious about storing. Last year I actually took my carbs off my 750 and took them indoors with my battery so they wouldn't sit in the cold garage.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
burned a hole right in the **** thing. Was so windy that day I couldn't hear the detonation. First thing I noticed was loss of power, followed by smoke. lots of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
burned a hole right in the **** thing. Was so windy that day I couldn't hear the detonation. First thing I noticed was loss of power, followed by smoke. lots of it.
Looks like spark arc'd form the spark plug, seen this alot on 2 strokes

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Why was the detonation so bad as to cause that. Detonation kills a piston over time not instantly. The detonation must have been there for a LONG time.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The extreme heat of running that lean actually melted the aluminum piston.

I cleaned a ton of fine little round alumninum particles out of the oil sump.

As for time, I'd say 25 min. Young and dumb.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pulled rear wheel (and made a special trip for a 27 mm socket) and greased the splines up. There was some grease still on it, but it needed it. Splines looked good.

Thanks guys!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts