Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new and having a hard time getting around this site but I'm trying. I got a 2006 SHADOW SABRE vt1100 c2. Its got custom pipes(what kind I don't know) and I just got it rejetted. It rips!! BUT WHY CAN I GO 85 in 3rd gear and can't get it to break 100!!!!!!!!!! is it restricted somewhere....rev limiter......I don't know but maybe someone on here can help me out. bikes in shop now getting apes on it and if money's right i want to try to get something done about the speed issue.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
1985 and 86 were the fastest years for the VT1100. In 1987, Honda detuned it by lowering the compression and changing the cam profile. This gave the bike more low speed torque and less horsepower.

If you increased the size of the main jet, you may have lowered your top speed. Before 2008, the EPA did not perform emissions testing on bikes at wide open throttle, only low and midrange speeds, so main jets were almost always sufficient for WOT unless you changed parts inside the engine, like cams and pistons. Tuning a bike on a dynamometer is the best way to determine the correct size of jets.

Aftermarket performance parts for the Shadows are few and far between. Few people have wanted to modify a Shadow’s engine internally, so almost no performance parts are available.

I’m not trying to be rude or anything like that, but if you want to ride 100mph, you bought the wrong bike.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I agree that if you want the bike to go fast you bought the wrong machine. That being said if you can't break 100mph something is surely wrong. My Spirit 1100 breaks 100mph easily. Check that your exhaust is sealed well at the heads, you may need new crush gaskets. Also check under the seat and ensure that none of the wiring is blocking the intake for the airbox, it's quite common for that to happen on the 1100's and can cut top end power.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
It's true that something must be inhibiting your top end, but remember that your rev limiter operates identically in every gear. If you're getting 85 mph in 3rd gear that sounds about right. My '98 ACE hits the limiter at about 85 in 3rd but will also do 105 mph in 4th gear, and it has a 5 speed. It also has less horsepower than yours because it's a single pin engine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Till 1997 for sure after that I don't know.
The camswap alone gives you just a few horsepower extra.
Have seen VT1100's with custom made Wiseco pistons which increased capacity to about 1200cc. I actualy rode one which did go like stink. It had about 100bhp but had also ignition mods and more work done.

Guess these Wiseco pistons can still be ordered at special request ( and at a cost ).

Cheapest way to increase bhp is mounting a Garrett T2 turbocharger on it.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
100mph top speed does sound slow for a VT1100, most of them will do more than that without effort but here's the thing..Are there any roads where you can legally go 100mph..and how much do you want to spend..If you have unlimited funds I'm sure it is possible to get about 150mph out of a VT1100 but it wont be an 1100 anymore and it still wont be the fastest bike around..why not ride the Shadow as it is meant to be ridden and buy yourself another faster bike for when you need the speed.

John.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
There's 100 MPH indicated and 100 MPH actual. Most of us have speedometers that read up to 10% high so we think we're going faster than we are. I doubt that your reads low but it is possible. More likely, it has less inherent error. Somewhere around 105 MPH is the ACTUAL top speed on our bikes as they leave the factory.

If you can get the gear ratios for yours, you can work that all out here. If speed is your thing, you will be disappointed to learn that you made a poor choice. Picking one with a rev limiter will never work out well for you. Plenty of other things make it the wrong bike for a "speed demon", most notably the limited (59 IIRC) horsepower. If you can't love the bike for what it is, you'll be money ahead by getting a different one because a VT1100 will never really fly.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
My guess is that you are jetted for pop elimintation and bluing prevention. The fix for BOTH of these may reduce top end. Properly tuned you should be able to do 120-130 on a otherwise stock Saber. unless you live in germany you never need those speds anyway. Sad thing is that with all off the shelf perf parts out there the best improvement I would expect is maybe 2-5mph, on a good day. But the main reason for the weak top end on the VT1100 is the 8:1 compression, when they changed the motor in 1988 they reduced, the compression by 20%, from 10:1. This also reduced total power by over 20%, while adding 5-10% in the lower and mid ranges. They reason is we american wanted a Harleyesk cruiser. Lots of lowend and midrange torque, and a relatively low cruising RPM. What they gave up to give this to us stupid American, is acceleration and top end performance.

Mine will do 150, BUT I have an extra 50cc over other VT1100's, and increased compression. My buddies stock 93 VT1100 will do 125.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
It's is NOT the rev limiter limiting your top speed. My bike has been clocked at 150mph. I have never hit the limiter in 4th gear, top for me. I do bounce it HARD in all other gears. My ears say I should hit the limiter in 4th somewhere between 150 and 155. By the way the gear calculators say, max speed for a VT1100 is 135mph.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My 96 ACE 1100 hits around 110mph fully wound out but holds her self to an easy 95mph or so on the steep hills here in MO. That's only 25mph (95)over the limit here but plenty enough power to get past the odd idiot on most occasions. I dread to think what 150mph would feel like on a cruiser, they simply aren't built for that kind of speed. Among other issues; the brakes, tires and suspension were never designed to handle those kinds of loads or speeds. I've owned and ridden way faster bikes than this one but she suits my needs and has ample power for my current taste. If my balls get bigger in my dotage I'll buy a Hayabussa but it's unlikely I'll ever see those crazy days again.
Getting older sucks :wink:

Chris.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Keep in mind the rev limiter's purpose is not to limit speed, it is to limit over-revving the engine. As said earlier, the rev limiter works identically in all gears by cutting the spark to one of the cylinders when the engine reaches a pre-set RPM. Since our bikes don't have tachometers, I don't know when it kicks in. There is no mention of it in the Service Manual.

CB

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I was unhappy with the top speed and acceleration after 70mph of my VT1100. It's a v-twin which is designed for cruising. So you can only do so much.

There are some vintage bikes with power, but if you want a newer cruiser with power, you'll have to go bigger. I had a Royal Star that I was VERY happy with the power and acceleration. It was a great cruiser too.. I now ride a Stratoliner which has more power than I need.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I already know that I don't have the need-for-speed gene, and this isn't meant to be critical in any way (more of an observation), but I can't imagine why anyone would want to do 100+ on any motorcycle, much less a Sabre, on a public road.

I guess you've really got to jones-ing for an adrenaline fix.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you want a "OH WOW" experience and satisfaction of performance, sell the VT1100 and buy a VTX 1800 (not 1300) and hold on. It shouldn't cost much more than your 06 1100, I have seen some real sweet deals on them. I have owned two and they were 1800C's I installed Jardine Forward controls (relevant to my story) and somewhere around 110mph my shoes would start to lift off the pegs. BTW that all happens in around 12 seconds. Photos of my 03 VTX 1800C.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
If you want a "OH WOW" experience and satisfaction of performance, sell the VT1100 and buy a VTX 1800 (not 1300) and hold on. It shouldn't cost much more than your 06 1100, I have seen some real sweet deals on them. I have owned two and they were 1800C's I installed Jardine Forward controls (relevant to my story) and somewhere around 110mph my shoes would start to lift off the pegs. BTW that all happens in around 12 seconds. Photos of my 03 VTX 1800C.
Hopefully he resolved his issue in 3 yrs. Besides a Valk does it alot smoother and with a 2mph. speedo error! >:)

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Id run ya in my (not a VTX) 1300.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts