06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,216 Posts
Can't get the website up to give you a reality check. but.... :D

VTX1800 ('02) 94.6 @ 5000 105.1 @ 3250 12.21 @ 107.48

GL1500C Valkyrie ('97) 95.9 @ 5500 96.1 @ 4000 12.13 @ 107.0

·
Registered
10,244 Posts
Yes, the 1100 aero I rode didn't offer any wow factor. The VTX 1300 made it look extra slow. The vtx 1800 is wow factor, no doubt. The Valk power is impressive! The torque at low rms and up are no joke.
The ST "feels" a lot faster than all, but when looking at numbers the ST 1100, the vtx 1800 and the Valk are extra close in 1/4 mile and 60' times.
But who really cares! Ride and smile!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm new and having a hard time getting around this site but I'm trying. I got a 2006 SHADOW SABRE vt1100 c2. Its got custom pipes(what kind I don't know) and I just got it rejetted. It rips!! BUT WHY CAN I GO 85 in 3rd gear and can't get it to break 100!!!!!!!!!! is it restricted somewhere....rev limiter......I don't know but maybe someone on here can help me out. bikes in shop now getting apes on it and if money's right i want to try to get something done about the speed issue.
Get something different. There's really no good ROI trying to make these faster; they have a low-ish rev limit, good torque, pretty horrible air management in the intake structure, and - like all cruisers - the aerodymanics of a brick with a sail.

Just ride it and enjoy.

You want fast, you can get a really nice ST1100, ST1300, FJR, etc., for not much money on the used market, and have a diverse garage.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
How about you both run some quarter mile times and then post up your time slips? I bet the VTX1800 would win. By a lot.
Because the quarter mile is hugely subjective. Case in point: a Mustang that could run low 12's ran out of steam at 120 mph on the highway like he hit the brakes and i passed him in my Talon. His low gears limited his top speed quite a bit.

Can't get the website up to give you a reality check. but.... :D
"Reality check"? You do realize these numbers are stock and still mean nothing in the real world. Magazine data can be skewed or a 'one off' result.

Im not trying to start an argument, fight or huge debate. I dont understand why someone cant just accept that my bike might be faster than you think (shrug).

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Im not trying to start an argument, fight or huge debate. I dont understand why someone cant just accept that my bike might be faster than you think (shrug).
Same old Furball I see...

How about because there isn't any reason your bike would be faster than a VTX1800? While you say quarter mile is subjective, I'd call it fair testing. Pretty sure the 1800 would beat you in top speed too.

If your 1300 is faster than an 1800, with a 500cc difference, then surely my 1100 would be faster than your 1300 because that's only a 200cc difference. Try accepting that!!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Wait a sec, you had a Talon that couldn't run 12's?!? Was it broken?

Fastest Talon in these parts ran high nine's.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
No, it was mostly stock at that time.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Same old Furball I see...

How about because there isn't any reason your bike would be faster than a VTX1800? While you say quarter mile is subjective, I'd call it fair testing. Pretty sure the 1800 would beat you in top speed too.

If your 1300 is faster than an 1800, with a 500cc difference, then surely my 1100 would be faster than your 1300 because that's only a 200cc difference. Try accepting that!!
Nope, not taking the bait.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,216 Posts
I think its the 1st. this year! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Hey JPR1968 , Thanks for doing a visual check for me>>>>>>>Maybe I need to get some reading glasses!!! LOL Time seems to go faster the older you get...
Any way. I did a compression check on my bike that I am just about done tweeking the carbs and I am at 220 psi on my compression test, front and 218 rear. That is with a higher compression domed piston. With a 2 psi difference between front and rear. That tells me that I have an excellent seal on rings and my camshafts are dialed in quite well. I made some tools so I can tell exactly when my valves open and close with the engine completely assembled to give me the true readings with all slack in the valve train taken up.
Weather is warm and time to ride!!!

·
Registered
11,168 Posts
Never once gave a rat's a$$ about how fast my bike is compared to others.

What's the point?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Some people care about how fast their bike is, others don't. To each their own.

I'm fully aware, for the way I ride, I really should be on a sport bike or naked bike. But, I just prefer cruisers and the sound of a v-twin motor. Because of this, I've spent a little bit of money, and a whole lot of time to get my ACE 1100 to go marginally faster. Even if nobody else likes it, I certainly think it was worth it.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
this is this thread's 2nd resurection. op posted 1 thread (this one) in 2010 and never posted again. calender check,,yep still winter. ;-)

the oldies you guys can dig up during non riding months boggles the mind.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
this is this thread's 2nd resurection. op posted 1 thread (this one) in 2010 and never posted again. calender check,,yep still winter. ;-)

Annoyingly, I did notice that before... then somehow forgot. :(

·
Registered
11,168 Posts

I have too much respect for you and the other mods to take that as a challenge. Others may take up the fight though...;)

·
Registered
10,244 Posts
this is this thread's 2nd resurection. op posted 1 thread (this one) in 2010 and never posted again. calender check,,yep still winter.

I have too much respect for you and the other mods to take that as a challenge. Others may take up the fight though...
Hey Viti, Go for it!

So, on the way home today, 3 different times I was very very happy to have plenty of power to free myself from agressive and STUPID car/truck drivers on the road. It made me think, this thread may not be THE THREAD FOR IT,
BUT...
How DO you guys that are truly happy with your bikes size and power, some that may not be classified as "powerful" bikes but they are all you want handle this scenario.?
Here's the question, you are on a multi lane road, interstate 4 lane whatever, traffic is not smooth flowing, but butthead trying to congestion things and 1-2 acting like jerks, do you drop a gear and try to leave them for a bit and make some space, or fall back to safety? Either way, the smart move is seperation, but, which do you do?
Me on the ST, I get a good safe distance and GO, then I slow down and keep trouble behind, if there is no hole, I fall back and wait, watching mirrors hard!
Just curious, but I flee the crowd 1st!

21 - 40 of 79 Posts