Honda Shadow Forums banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,803 Posts
Here's the question, you are on a multi lane road, interstate 4 lane whatever, traffic is not smooth flowing, but butthead trying to congestion things and 1-2 acting like jerks, do you drop a gear and try to leave them for a bit and make some space, or fall back to safety?
Depends on the situation.. But mostly, in town, If I'm the first at lights etc.. I like to break from the pack - accelerate upto the speed limit, and then let them filter past me further up the road, this so I'm not being moved along from a light by a giant chunk of steel..

But Y'know..

Phhh.. :roll: ..Some people just want to race!

And by "race", I mean.. I traded my Aero due to almost being plungered into oncoming by cagers who travelled 10-20mph below the posted speed limit through the mountains, then, as we (me and cars stacked behind me), went to overtake when we could safely do so, these slowpokes sped-up while we were in the oncoming lane.. With cars also trying to overtake blocking me from behind, I was being effectively forced into oncoming traffic.. Because I didn't have speed and acceleration enough to move past and clear these psychos..

TWICE, that happened.. The second time.. :shock: .. I was very-very lucky..

So, yeah, as much as I love(d) that bike.. It just ran out of power in some really bad situations where a little-more power is all I needed to keep me safe..

Since I have had the Vic, I still run into these clowns.. I had the Vic Up-to 115mph one time - same deal.. Slow moving cage, then, when we reached a place where I could legally overtake, the SOB began to try to outpace me.. So.. It's nice to have that kind of power on tap..

The Triumph...Same situation .. I have only had to take it to 95mph one time, due to the same thing.. :D ..Acceleration.. The Trumpet accelerates much faster..

So, I prize acceleration over top-speed..

Both of my scoots will get to a ballpark 135.. The trumpet will get there much quicker.. Which is nice.. As it can accelerate faster, I don't have to use higher speed.. ;)

Don't care about racing, or times, or averages.. Not my thing at all.. I just have no interest in that kinda thing.. BUT, In real-world application though, it's really nice to have a little more OOMPH on tap.. Good acceleration and a respectable top speed, in some situations, can get you out of serous trouble..

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I agree totally. That is the very reason I like some horses under the throttle. To get around and away..!! I do my best to gauge myself away from all vehicles..If they are not near me they can't hurt me!!ha

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Depends on the situation.. But mostly, in town, If I'm the first at lights etc.. I like to break from the pack - accelerate upto the speed limit, and then let them filter past me further up the road, this so I'm not being moved along from a light by a giant chunk of steel..

But Y'know..

Phhh.. :roll: ..Some people just want to race!

And by "race", I mean.. I traded my Aero due to almost being plungered into oncoming by cagers who travelled 10-20mph below the posted speed limit through the mountains, then, as we (me and cars stacked behind me), went to overtake when we could safely do so, these slowpokes sped-up while we were in the oncoming lane.. With cars also trying to overtake blocking me from behind, I was being effectively forced into oncoming traffic.. Because I didn't have speed and acceleration enough to move past and clear these psychos..

TWICE, that happened.. The second time.. :shock: .. I was very-very lucky..

So, yeah, as much as I love(d) that bike.. It just ran out of power in some really bad situations where a little-more power is all I needed to keep me safe..

Since I have had the Vic, I still run into these clowns.. I had the Vic Up-to 115mph one time - same deal.. Slow moving cage, then, when we reached a place where I could legally overtake, the SOB began to try to outpace me.. So.. It's nice to have that kind of power on tap..

The Triumph...Same situation .. I have only had to take it to 95mph one time, due to the same thing.. :D ..Acceleration.. The Trumpet accelerates much faster..

So, I prize acceleration over top-speed..

Both of my scoots will get to a ballpark 135.. The trumpet will get there much quicker.. Which is nice.. As it can accelerate faster, I don't have to use higher speed.. ;)

Don't care about racing, or times, or averages.. Not my thing at all.. I just have no interest in that kinda thing.. BUT, In real-world application though, it's really nice to have a little more OOMPH on tap.. Good acceleration and a respectable top speed, in some situations, can get you out of serous trouble..
yup having enough go is good..... but I think my 1100 has plenty to pass on tight roads, if in the right gear :)

From the weekend, a short snippet, lots of passing required

:)

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
"Reality check"? You do realize these numbers are stock and still mean nothing in the real world. Magazine data can be skewed or a 'one off' result.

Im not trying to start an argument, fight or huge debate. I dont understand why someone cant just accept that my bike might be faster than you think (shrug).
Ahem...You're suggesting stock numbers could be skewed, but your one-off bike "might be faster than you think"? Come on, dude...

In the meantime, I'll just leave this here for you...

supercharging the Valkyrie

·
Registered
169 Posts
Funny this topic came up. My 04 1100c tops out at 100. Period.

I can clearly hear the limiter kick in at 100-105 and that's it. Wasn't all to worried about it though, so long as I have the pose at lower speeds I need like through the mountains.

Just my 0.02

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,803 Posts
yup having enough go is good..... but I think my 1100 has plenty to pass on tight roads, if in the right gear :)

From the weekend, a short snippet, lots of passing required

https://youtu.be/-enLSSm0BTI

:)
Nice! :D

Yeah.. I think half of these clowns I deal with come-up from the Valley (where everybody drives like a lunatic), they freak out driving in the twisties, so they slow right down. But on the few straights where we can overtake, they cowboy back up and tromp on the gas.

I don't know.. It would explain it, I suppose..

Not had an issue with getting out of those situations on my current scoots. My Aero though, I'd drop it down to third to fourth and get upto 85 pretty-quick and I still couldn't pass these people.. My Aero would top out at about 97 .. But anything past 85 and it'd take a while to get there..

Last time I ran into serious issues, the guy was doing about 40 in a 55.. Went to overtake, I thought my bike had broken, the thing was just barely inching past his horse-trailer.. I looked down I was at 85.. Oncoming traffic, blocked from behind.. Not good..

I'm too old to race, it's just not my thing.. But yeah.. When you gotsta needs to pour on the coals, it's nice to be able to do so.

·
Premium Member
8,803 Posts
Gonna be swapping out my cams in the Vic, soon enough. With fuel, air and exhaust, that should bring up the numbers to between 114-120 hp and ft-lbs of torque.. I figure that will give me Trumpet-like throttle response and acceleration on that bike..

Power-wise that Triumph is perfect for me. The Vic could do with a little more acceleration though.. Top speed on both bikes right-now is more than enough.. I would never want to go that fast anyway..

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
mtvinba ... Something must be wrong with your bike if you think the rev ,limiter is kicking in at 105 bike. I can do a honest 125+ on my bike and it doesn't hit the limiter. You run out of hp and torque from the cam design before the limiter kicks in. My dyno runs show a cut off at 6250 rpm..MPH in 4th will hit it at 117 but 5th will hit at about 132..

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Ahem...You're suggesting stock numbers could be skewed, but your one-off bike "might be faster than you think"? Come on, dude...
Read any car mag that tests cars with professional drivers. Results are skewed all the time across models. Even two vehicles that come off the assembly line being hand built with the same parts and specs can have vastly different results. Thats what im pointing out, its not an end all stat.

The other point is people are ignoring that i have modded my bike, yet continue to point out stock numbers saying i cant possibly be telling the truth. I dont care if they dont believe its much faster now than when Honda built it, but i dont like the insinuation im somehow lying about it. But... for a small example, a friend had his Fury dynoed using my PCV map and with a bad fuel filter causing a lean condition at 4000rpm, made 65hp/79tq @4000rpm, which 1400 more rpm to go. Thats an 11 hp gain.

But, i digress with this: just because something has more hp doesnt mean its faster than something with fewer hp. The stock 2014 Valkyrie has 104hp/110tq and weighs 750, 84# more than a Fury, if you factor in those dyno results (assuming a full pull to 6100) gave only 70hp/85tq, with the weight difference factor allowing 10.5 hp (8# removed = 1hp gained); theres a 25.5hp difference remaining. I would like to see how they stack up in the real world factoring gearing, aerodynamics, driver weight and ability.

Regardless if i think my bike is fast, these VT1300's are really detuned from the factory and huge gains can be had with minimal effort and people need to realize that. I mean, im not the one who threw the first Fury on a dyno raised the redline to 6100 and with no fuel/timing adjustments and saw over 7 hp gained.

In the meantime, I'll just leave this here for you...

supercharging the Valkyrie
Thats pretty sick :)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
But... for a small example, a friend had his Fury dynoed using my PCV map and with a bad fuel filter causing a lean condition at 4000rpm, made 65hp/79tq @4000rpm, which 1400 more rpm to go. Thats an 11 hp gain.
A dyno operator can really skew the numbers to show unrealistic power gains. The same bike on different days on different dynos can get wildly different numbers. This is where I have a lot more respect for a quarter mile times. While different days and different tracks can produce different results, a time slip doesn't lie.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
And? I agree a dyno means nothing in real world situations like 'mid range passing power' but track times can vary even more wildly based simply on ambient temps and driver reactions. Case in point, my 1990 Talon. At its fastest it ran [email protected] (i have time slips), but there were days when the track temp was 125 in the SHADE and i couldnt break 14's. There is simply NO way to bench race anything.

But in the case of the Fury those results are duplicated time and time again with different bikes and different dynos, i was only describing MY tunes results.

If i had to ask a question at this point it would be: how many times does something have to be documented before the general populace will accept it as (more or less) fact without experiencing it themselves?

Statements like Burger Kings "2 out of 3 people prefer our fries to McD's" (which could be true if only 2 people were tested) can be skewed and untrue, but McD's "#1 french fried based on actual SALES" is believable.

Again, im not defending my bike, but not accepting that a 1300 could be 'fast' is like saying a 4 cylinder could never beat a V8 when its been proven 1000's of times over and over.

·
Registered
10,244 Posts
Again, im not defending my bike, but not accepting that a 1300 could be 'fast' is like saying a 4 cylinder could never beat a V8 when its been proven 1000's of times over and over.[/QUOTE]
I agree with this statement.
My ST 1100, will smoke my old vtx 1300 like it's starting ding still...don't throw a CC blankie over an entire topic, just cuz you have a 1600cc bike don't make it better.
Bench racing, laptop, whatever, let's just ride and have fun!
I love having power to get away from idjets in cages! My 56 mile round trip commute daily I see as many on cell phones and tablets as I do watching the road. Power gets you away from them.
So, have power or KNOW how to brake and to avoid accidents!
Smart peeps do all 3

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
If i had to ask a question at this point it would be: how many times does something have to be documented before the general populace will accept it as (more or less) fact without experiencing it themselves?
If nobody ever seems to believe you, there's probably a good reason for that as well.

A VTX1800 on a good day will run a low 12 second quarter mile. Take all year if you need it, pick any day and any track, and come back with a 12 second time slip from your 1300. My guess, is that unless you bolt on some nitrous, you don't have any chance of hitting those times. Extra points if you take a vid of a 12 second pass.

If you can do it, then I'll accept your bike as fast. If you can't, then you may have to accept why others will not believe your claims.

·
Registered
10,244 Posts
If nobody ever seems to believe you, there's probably a good reason for that as well.

A VTX1800 on a good day will run a low 12 second quarter mile. Take all year if you need it, pick any day and any track, and come back with a 12 second time slip from your 1300. My guess, is that unless you bolt on some nitrous, you don't have any chance of hitting those times. Extra points if you take a vid of a 12 second pass.

If you can do it, then I'll accept your bike as fast. If you can't, then you may have to accept why others will not believe your claims.
And that's BONE STOCK!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,803 Posts
...If i had to ask a question at this point it would be: how many times does something have to be documented before the general populace will accept it as (more or less) fact without experiencing it themselves?
For me.. None. It's not my bike, Fluffy.. It's yours. It shouldn't matter to you what other people think of your bike, or it's capabilities either.. They're not the ones riding it.

It's as fast as you say? Then it's as fast as you say.. Who would I be to question that? Why would I feel the need to question that?

That's the part of all this I don't understand.. There have been members reporting that they can squeeze 112 mph, 2-up, out of a 750 with throttle to spare.. Nobody felt too much of an urge to beat those guys up over it. Me, I take their word for that too.

Why wouldn't I?

Anyway ..Post slips or not.. I'll be enjoying riding my bike; and I'll be assuming that you are enjoying riding yours.. And that for all of us, by this time tomorrow, the world will have roughly rotated 360 degrees, and that life - if we are lucky - will go on.

Happy Friday and Have a Great Weekend Peeps!

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,216 Posts
Ok? What am i looking for?
I like using power to weight ratios to determine how quick/powerful a ride can be. If you look at the 1/4 mi. specs in relation to the PTW ratios they are pretty much related thus you can pretty much determine how fast your ride might be if you need a ballpark figure.

While riding my Valk under full throttle things go to quickly to even look at the gauges so to speak because my attention needs to be elsewhere and finding a good/clean stretch of road to purposedly do this in my area is a hard find. Our roads are pathetic at best.

·
Premium Member
8,803 Posts
Fun Starts 4.00 in

41 - 60 of 79 Posts