Honda Shadow Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
10,244 Posts
Dude on the sports bike can't ride, but the older dude, a patently can!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,803 Posts
I stumbled on that video a while-back when I was very briefly entertaining the idea of getting a Blackbird.. But.. Nah.. Saw that video, it was the final nail in the coffin, my limited enthusiasm for that bike immediately waned..

It was ...:neutral: ..Yeah.. I don't think so.. :D

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Dynos != racing. Aerodynamics and the rider contribute a whole, whole lot.

Also, racing cruisers is just stupid because of the aforementioned aerodynamics.

This whole topic makes me giggle every time it comes up.
Add a giant plexiglas windshield to increase the aerodynamics to that of a garage door. :)

(good point!)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Funny this topic came up. My 04 1100c tops out at 100. Period.

I can clearly hear the limiter kick in at 100-105 and that's it. Wasn't all to worried about it though, so long as I have the pose at lower speeds I need like through the mountains.

Just my 0.02

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sounds like something is wrong with your bike. My bike will break 100 in THIRD gear. The rev limiter kicks in just shy of 105 (indicated). I've had it to about 115, again as indicated on the speedo. Felt like there was some left but not much. In any case that's plenty fast enough for me. In fact I don't think I've had it anywhere near that fast since the first summer I owned it when I was still finding it's limits so to speak.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Where's the first place I should look for issues then?

Cars I can do, bikes, not so much.

BTW - 04 VT1100C Shadow Spirit

I also could use an electronic copy of a service manual if anyone has access. I can't seem to find it on all of the links available for manuals.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Till 1997 for sure after that I don't know.
The camswap alone gives you just a few horsepower extra.
Have seen VT1100's with custom made Wiseco pistons which increased capacity to about 1200cc. I actualy rode one which did go like stink. It had about 100bhp but had also ignition mods and more work done.

Guess these Wiseco pistons can still be ordered at special request ( and at a cost ).

Cheapest way to increase bhp is mounting a Garrett T2 turbocharger on it.

What pistons would change the displacement of my 1100 to a 1200?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts

Gearing..... Sport bike would thrash it in the next stretch

the old best was quick of the mark, no need the feather the clutch etc

·
Registered
725 Posts
No one agrees on top speed for the sabre or spirit. I have owned both and never took them triple digits. Numbers quoted usually don't mention speedometer indicated, radar, or GPS.

In stock form your bike would have 64-67 HP (crankshaft) and 54.5 HP dyno at the rear wheel. Redline is 6500 rpm or lower. The bike is around 600 lbs going down the road. It is not as drag efficent as a crotch rocket. You are not going to change gearing on a shaft drive. You can't add a functioning hypercharger so you basic mods are less restricted air filter, exhaust, and jet kit. Possibly up to 5 hp?

The sabre is lower geared and usually rated 105-110 mph stock. The spirit is taller geared same HP usually rated 110-115 mph.

If you are wanting to go 100+ all the time buy a crotch rocket or power cruiser with a lot more horsepower.

·
Registered
10,244 Posts
My dads 1500 intruder was only rated around 105 mph.
105 is pretty good, don't discount it. Mine is right around that with high revs and it is a blast!
Extremely hard to run under 70 mph anywhwere!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Finally was able to get this site back up for whatever reasons.

2014-15 Edition:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...IMehmqJwrKM-fkQNw&sig2=Rrn4JWdKd74mj-2_k_q1Sw
This is pretty awesome! (Bold is 1/4 mile, time & speed)

Valkyrie Interstate 4/99 $14,199 O-6 5 94.9 92.8 833 30.7 118 4.37 n/.a 12.76 100.89 116.4 1:8.78 Luxury Tourer

FLHTK Ultra Limited 11/13 $26,939 V-2 6 77.65 89.83 904 35.8 103.25 5.52 n/.a 13.99 93.71 129.1 1:11.67 Custom Tourer

:grin2:

And then there's the new Indian Scout. I knew it was fast, but I didn't realize it was THAT fast! Holy Crap!

Scout ‘15 12/14 $10,999 V-2 6 93.75 70.61 563 36.0 125.07 3.81 9.72 11.93 110.05 132.49 1:6.01 Middleweight Cruiser

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would want to go these speeds on public roads. I did when I was younger but I was too ignorant of the dangers outside of my control like animals, bad roads, people in cars not paying attention...

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,216 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would want to go these speeds on public roads. I did when I was younger but I was too ignorant of the dangers outside of my control like animals, bad roads, people in cars not paying attention...
Well if one makes a quick pass on the highway 95 mph happens pretty quick on a Valk but after 95 it starts slowing down due to the areodynamics from the windshield.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well... I am having a small issue trying to decide which cams to go with.... I am currently doing a top half rebuild on my 89 vt1100c... It seems that the 97-on cams have a higher lift profile than the 85-86 cams. The question is which are best...

·
Registered
103 Posts
You have to take in your transmission's gearing and the rear end. Most 5th gears ( and they are on this bike ) are overdrives. Because of that they won't pull max rpm in top gear unless conditions are perfect, no wind, windshield off, light load etc. Overall gearing affects top speed. You likely can go faster in a lower gear on most cruiser type bikes.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,216 Posts
89' had more hp. and 4 spd. gearbox. A 180/70 rear tire will lower the overall gearing at the rear.

·
Read Only
2,714 Posts
I'm new and having a hard time getting around this site but I'm trying. I got a 2006 SHADOW SABRE vt1100 c2. Its got custom pipes(what kind I don't know) and I just got it rejetted. It rips!! BUT WHY CAN I GO 85 in 3rd gear and can't get it to break 100!!!!!!!!!! is it restricted somewhere....rev limiter......I don't know but maybe someone on here can help me out. bikes in shop now getting apes on it and if money's right i want to try to get something done about the speed issue.
What do you "need" to go so fast for?! You're already going anywhere from 10-40 mph OVER the speed limit as it is. :wink2: I'd say, as long as you're not slowing down or unable to maintain your speed going up long hills with a strong headwind, you're good. If you still want to go faster, get a crotch rocket! 0:)

61 - 79 of 79 Posts