Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been trying to locate the slider needle for my carbs - the original part number should be 16151-MG8-771 but cant find anyplace where it is sold. Is there an alternative part that will fit??

·
Registered
12,531 Posts
A lot of aftermarket places have needles that are adjustable with clips even.

·
Registered
12,531 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A lot of aftermarket places have needles that are adjustable with clips even.

Since you are in Europe this place seems to be a good source of parts. See if they can help.

Thank you for your response - I have looked quite a lot of places, including the ones listed here, but no luck so far...

·
Registered
12,531 Posts
Is your needle ruined? If a little bent could it be straightened to make it usable?
Or polished to smooth it?
Many aftermarket needle have different shapes so I would try to use my old one unless it is ruined.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is your needle ruined? If a little bent could it be straightened to make it usable?
Or polished to smooth it?
Many aftermarket needle have different shapes so I would try to use my old one unless it is ruined.

Unfortunately the needle is ruined

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Can you read the number off the side of the ruined needle or perhaps the one from the other carburetor.
The number off the side of the needle tells a better story of where else one might find it and will give you a better chance to find a Keihin substitute in charts.
You might even turn that number up on a Google search.

I would not consider it much of a problem to run the same jet needle in both carbs, the difference between them was probably due to emissions tuning.

·
Registered
12,531 Posts
Here is an option if the seller will send it to Europe for a fair cost. Good to have spare parts.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Here is an option if the seller will send it to Europe for a fair cost. Good to have spare parts.
I grabbed a very specific pair of carbs I was looking for from a seller in Ohio on Wednesday morning and they had to cross the border into Ontario, Canada, not far, but international shipping, exchange, brokerage, taxes etc..
By the time they arrived today at my door Saturday morning, a 3 or 4 hour tour as the 60 mph crow flies ended up costing me about $100 USD on top of the base selling price.
I guess the message here is don't forget to do all the math to justify the costs when you are buying from foreign lands.

Luckily my wife was out shopping when they arrived. (-;

·
Registered
79 Posts
When you search for Keihin needle e.g. on ebay you get a lot of results (at least in Germany). Check the sellers, some of them may know their business and can get you the right needle quickly. There are also complete repair kits for the carbs available.
ok, based in France but better than nothing
Repair kit, but for a sc32
The jets differ amongst the different VT's, but I doubt that also the needles differ.

Or you go for a Dynojet kit which contains a specific tapered needle, jets etc. I got mine for about 55,- Eur.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
All the readily available kits and parts I know of are for the later VT1100 engines.
This one referenced is a 1988.
Yeah they might work, I'm no expert on the 1100's and unsure of the interchange between years, but IIRC the earlier engines make more power and are tuned differently with different valve timing etc. and that's before you get into the confusion of the different crankshafts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts