Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look like my 94 VT1100C fork needs service. I see smeared liquid and dirt going up the fork tube on one side. What needs to be done? I have access to a service manual, but would like some advice on what parts to get, where to get them, etc. Should I just go to a dealer and ask them to outfit me? Any special tools needed? I am not a very good mechanic...

·
Registered
72 Posts
mensa143 said:
Look like my 94 VT1100C fork needs service. I see smeared liquid and dirt going up the fork tube on one side. What needs to be done? I have access to a service manual, but would like some advice on what parts to get, where to get them, etc. Should I just go to a dealer and ask them to outfit me? Any special tools needed? I am not a very good mechanic...
If you are not a very good mechanic, let someone else replace the seals for you. You don’t want something to go wrong with the front end while riding.

There are a couple of things you can do without being a mechanic. You can’t see the seals on the fork tubes, just the wipers. You can slide the wipers up and wipe out the oil between the seals and wipers. You may have hit a pothole that forced oil past the seal just one time.

After new seals have been installed, keep the fork tubes clean. Dried bug splat can cut the seal making them leak. Clean the fork tubes every day you ride and every time you clean your shield. I use Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish. My 1985 Shadow has the original fork seals and do not leak.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not to bad

It is not that hard to fix. You will have to change both the wipers you see on top of the forks and the internal seal under it. If you have the Honda manual, just follow the directions. I would look into changing the springs while I was in there. I also when back in with transmission fluid. The local dealer had all kinds of subtitude oils (At high dollar prices) but not what was called out. There are a lot of good posts in here on doing it. I was worried about it at first, but it was easy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts