Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Shadow Spirit -- Bought it 2 yrs ago with 8k miles on it and a worn out rear tire. Replaced both with Shinko Tour Masters. Now 2 yrs and 5k miles later, rear needs replacement again, down below 2/32nds.

I ride solo (200lbs), mostly on county roads and highways, asphalt, little concrete or tar & gravel. I love corners, but wear is concentrated in center of tread and tire is properly inflated to Honda specs. I'll try to attach a photo, but may prove to be incompetent. Any recommendations for getting a better tire life? Shinko 777? Other?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,887 Posts
I just wore out a Shinko 777 rear with 9000 miles on it. I went back to a Michelin commander II which I was running before the Shinko. A bit more $$, but I got 16,000 miles on the last set.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Pirelli makes a great tire. I was very happy with my MT66s. She has Dunlop E4s on her now. They are supposed to be a high mileage tire. Or... There is always the dark side! I put three years and close to 30,000 miles on a car tire before a pair of dog nail Clippers punctured it. It still looked new!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks--keep the comments coming! I'm comparing prices at Revzilla (just as a reference point) and the Shinko Tour Master is $93, the Shinko 777 is $111, the Pirelli MT66 is $113, the Michelin Commander II is $168, and the Avon AV72 is $171. Keep the recommendations coming! Anything in the mid-range between $113 and $168?

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Pirelli's 66's and keeping your air pressure @ 38 to 40 psi. on the rear tire all the time.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I actually got the most miles out of a set of CHEAP King tires (cost all of $125 for BOTH), which lasted nearly 20-25k miles, which is UNREAL!! I would NOT suggest Dunlops, as they're GARBAGE! On my Harley, I just got Michelin Commander IIs; not cheap, but better quality, and I have not been disappointed with them, so far, but I've only had them on about 3k miles, and they've still got plenty of tread. I've heard good and bad about Kendas, also, so something to consider.

Personally, my "research" has me looking at either Shinko 777s, Kenda Kruz, Michelin Scorchers, or Pirelli Night Dragons for MY next set.

For your information, SOME people (not necessarily recommended) have put a car tire on the back (called the "Dark Side"). I don't have any idea on how that rides or what tire you should get, though, and there is a whole other group/forum for those folks, so if you're interested, you might check with them.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Best mileage I've gotten was a Metzler 880 that lasted about 12k or so. I tried a Kenda couple years back and initially it looked like it was gonna wear well but it was done after about 4500 miles. I just replaced that one with the same Shinko 230 tour master as in your pic. Hopefully I get more than 5k out of it. If not I'm going back to Metzler. The cheap tires are gonna end up costing more in the long if they don't last.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
On cruisers I've had good luck with the Dunlop Elite series. Got about 12k miles on my 1/2 ton Vic Vision and currently running a dual compound E4 on my VT1100C2. The E4 does a lot better than the E3 in the rain and sticks in the curves. Still waiting on the total mileage but many are getting well over 10k.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I run the Shinko Tour masters on a couple of bikes.Looking at your wear mainly in the center I would say it was slightly over inflated. I know you said it was aired correctly per Honda. These Hondas do have some torque so if you like to take off I'm sure the tires will give in quicker than normal. I recommend don't drift so much around the corners....... ha ha.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Metzlers or Avon cobra

·
Registered
460 Posts
So far my Night Dragons are wearing well. They're Pirelli's and not cheap. I bought them to stick, not for mileage but so far with about 4,000 miles on them they haven't worn much at all, I'll easily reach 10K. I won't know till they wear out. The tires do stick well to everything, rain etc. I really have only felt a slip on sand but I don't think any road tire is going to do well on sand?

My bike is a toy not my day to day transportation so 10,000 miles will be probably 2 or 3 years. I don't mind buying tires every 2-3 years, might be more like 4 or 5, I really don't see much wear on these.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bridgestone Exedra Max, good grip, wear, & ride. Specifically made for Japanese cruisers, weight, speed, & road surfaces affect tire life-keep up with tire pressures
(y)

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
2 things....
1. Country roads often are rougher grade and eat tires faster. Just happens that way.
2. Honda recommended air pressure is only for the exact tire model/size/make, not necessarily what the tire you pit on is saying on it's side wall. Compare the 2 psi and see if Honda was higher.

As for me, I love my darkside tire, but....iys not for everyone, I won't try to persuade anyone, I only give good honest opinion from my own knowledge. It's perfect for me.
There have been some great tire suggestions.
Metzeler880 was great for me in my VTX wasn't HIGH, mid priced.
Pirelli MT66 is a fantastic tire. Fair price
Bridgestone makes a really good tire, fair prices too.
Dunlop, not 404, the E series tires are great, may be a tough higher priced.
Michelin, great tires, higher priced, but, worth it.
Avon, mixed emotions for Intel, not gonna praise or knock them.

Kenda or Shinko will get you a good traction tire that should get 7-9k miles for cheap ish. Depends on what you want/need.
Pirelli MT66 or Bridgestone is what I would buy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I have always considered tire compounds to be on a continuum with grip (softer compound) at one extreme and long life (harder compound) at the other. Based on this thinking I would rather have tires wear sooner rather than me fall off.

Considering your wear is in the center of the tire, It would be interesting to know your rear brake pad wear ie how often your rear pads require replacing and that might be an indicator of your tire wear.

G.

·
Registered
9,083 Posts
...Avon AV72 is $171.
$150 from Rocky Mountain. Good vendor. Been using them for years. Link.
Didn't check prices on other tires.

FWIW, my mileage on:
o 17,800 Avon Cobra AV72 (New favorite.) replacing in the spring
o 11,200 Pirelli Night Dragon
o 16,700 Metzeler ME888 (All Time Worst handling rear tire on my bike.)
o 15,600 Metzeler ME880 (Favorite. Too bad they screwed up the compound for the ME888.)
o 6,800 Dunlop D404
o 9,800 Dunlop D404 (catastrophic failure)
o 12,700 Dunlop K555 (stock)

Excepting the one D404, all tires were replaced with (1-2k?) miles of life. Better safe than sorry -- as I learned the hard way.

Handling:
o Metzeler ME880 was the best handling.
o Avon Cobra is just about the same. Can't hardly tell a difference from the ME880.
o Pirelli Night Dragon was definitely inferior to those two but still head-and-shoulders better than the Dunlops.
o K555 was decent on dry roads. Not much fun on wet.
o D404s were terrible. Cheap tires for garage queens.
o Metzeler ME888 was downright dangerous. It would slip and slide on hot, dry roads. And wet roads. And tar snakes. Couldn't wait to get it off the bike. Probably had 3k miles left when I gave up trying to find the right PSI.

·
Registered
10,981 Posts
I just wore out a Shinko 777 rear with 9000 miles on it. I went back to a Michelin commander II which I was running before the Shinko. A bit more $$, but I got 16,000 miles on the last set.
Funny you bring this up. I just replaced my still OK Commander II rear tire because it tended to slip in the rain or if I applied the brake a little too hard and the tire wasn't warmed up. Pure love / hate relationship. I went with the more 'grippy' Shinko 777 HD front and rear. I only rode home from the shop, (10 miles), and most of that was getting used to the feel of new tires. I'll be happy with 9K out of them as long as I don't get the slip and slide action. I'm was at about 12K on the Michelin, but hated dealing with the sliding, and I am not a throttle twister, or heavy footed on the brakes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts