Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,083 Posts
Funny you bring this up. I just replaced my still OK Commander II rear tire because it tended to slip in the rain or if I applied the brake a little too hard and the tire wasn't warmed up. Pure love / hate relationship. I went with the more 'grippy' Shinko 777 HD front and rear. I only rode home from the shop, (10 miles), and most of that was getting used to the feel of new tires. I'll be happy with 9K out of them as long as I don't get the slip and slide action. I'm was at about 12K on the Michelin, but hated dealing with the sliding, and I am not a throttle twister, or heavy footed on the brakes.
Sounds A LOT like my experience with Metzeler's ME888. They went to a harder compound than the ME880 specifically in response to Michelin bragging about Commander's durability on 800+ pound Hardleys. Gave them a better tire for Valkyries but one too slippery for my "lightweight" A. C. E. (Who would have ever thought a 600lb bike would be too light? Or that 1100ccs would be too small?) I know I pulled the tire early. And was glad to have it off my bike.

Tires need to have a performance envelope greater than the rider's preferences, skills and style. That means Commanders and ME888s will be fine for some riders but dangerous for others. I'm definitely one of the others.

·
Registered
67 Posts
double check your references on what the "proper" psi should be, overinflated tires have a reduced footprint contact with the road, narrower that it should be and wears the center faster...

·
Registered
10,981 Posts
Sounds A LOT like my experience with Metzeler's ME888. They went to a harder compound than the ME880 specifically in response to Michelin bragging about Commander's durability on 800+ pound Hardleys. Gave them a better tire for Valkyries but one too slippery for my "lightweight" A. C. E. (Who would have ever thought a 600lb bike would be too light? Or that 1100ccs would be too small?) I know I pulled the tire early. And was glad to have it off my bike.

Tires need to have a performance envelope greater than the rider's preferences, skills and style. That means Commanders and ME888s will be fine for some riders but dangerous for others. I'm definitely one of the others.
It's good to hear that it wasn't just me. Loved the 880's and I think I picked the Commander II over the 888's when the 880 wore out. Never thought about the weight but it makes perfect sense. My Yamaha is about 650 lbs. ready to roll, about 200 lbs. less than a similar Harley.

·
Registered
9,083 Posts
Loved the 880's...
Me, too. Since Avon stopped making the AV71 (front) in my size, I may end up with another ME880 next spring -- paired with an Avon AV72. (Metzeler does make an ME880 200/70-15 rear that might fight. I'll check into that soon.)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
The 200/70-15 will fit, I've had one on my bike before. However the rim of the Spirit is not wide enough to let the tire spread out all the way so the extra width isn't usable. It's not worth the extra money for the 200 over the 170 imo.

·
Registered
10,981 Posts
double check your references on what the "proper" psi should be, overinflated tires have a reduced footprint contact with the road, narrower that it should be and wears the center faster...
I ran a few psi under to increase the footprint just slightly, in hopes of stopping the slipping and sliding...no good. As I said, I changed out the ComII with plenty of life left because anytime the road was damp / wet / cold, I had to worry about locking up the back end. The Shinkos are on and I put about 200 miles on them. The bike feels much better. I don't care if I get 10K out of them, I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
The Commander II have given the same result's to two other riders I ride with. Slip n' slide. Been happy with the Exedra Max (bias ply) on the Vulcan but was leery of them due to the Michelin II's and the Metzler 888's changes. Keep in mind of what speed rating you desire as there is a difference in ride and wear.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Very true what you said in the last part of your comment, I have had the opposite experience with my Commander II and I'm riding on an even lighter 750 Spirit. Excellent dry and wet grip no matter how hard I seem to ride and I ride pretty hard, scraping pegs and boot heels isn't uncommon for me. About 5k miles on the tire and to me it just keeps getting better, very predictable if/when it does break traction which is all I can really ask for.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts