Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got this 83 non running honda vt500 ascot. Having issues. It cranks but doesnt start.

My biggest issue right now is the carb, already broke a part. And can't get the choke cable brass part from inside the carb, it's fused in there. Managed to get one out, but the other is stuck.

The butterfly carb won't operate well, i removed one of the shafts but not sure why it's not moving. The carb throttle was stuck, i thought it was the cable, but turns out the insides of the carb are super welded together.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Front brake on the shadow is stuck. Lever won't move. The brake caliper is not letting me move the bike well, as if the caliper is seized. I removed the caliper and no fluid came out. Just some drips

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,963 Posts
The ascot is the same as a vt500 shadow for many parts. The square headlight was on the early shadow 500 also.
On many of these older bikes they will crank but not start if the kill switch is off, so check for power to the coils with key on and kill switch on.
Here are some carbs that may be the place to start with them at least.

Reactions: motardsquid

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cleaning of the carbs. Big mistake in removing the butterfly screws, someone afterwards told me that when i rescrew themthey might fall in the engine with vibration. Was hoping locktite and mushroom the screw afterwards might take care of it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ascot is the same as a vt500 shadow for many parts. The square headlight was on the early shadow 500 also.
On many of these older bikes they will crank but not start if the kill switch is off, so check for power to the coils with key on and kill switch on.
Here are some carbs that may be the place to start with them at least.

Saw those carbs and im shocked at the prices. Also need a choke plungers(2) and its about 100$ for them.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,963 Posts
Reactions: motardsquid

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like off to a bad start with this bike. Plunger is stuck in the carb and im unable to remove it. The butterfly rods are also stuck, never had this issue on carbs before.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,963 Posts
Sounds like scrap metal to me.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hey, Motard. Think I commented once, but love your YouTube channel!

I would take as much rubber and plastic off of those carbs as you can and boil them for a while in hot water, or some other type of solution. I used Pine-Sol, but someone else tried it and said it darkened the colour of the carbs. The combination of heat and ‘ultrasonic’ action might break that plunger loose. It may even free up your shaft movement. As for the butterfly screws, a touch of LocTite should do the trick. No need to mushroom them as well, unless you never intend to remove them again,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, Motard. Think I commented once, but love your YouTube channel!

I would take as much rubber and plastic off of those carbs as you can and boil them for a while in hot water, or some other type of solution. I used Pine-Sol, but someone else tried it and said it darkened the colour of the carbs. The combination of heat and ‘ultrasonic’ action might break that plunger loose. It may even free up your shaft movement. As for the butterfly screws, a touch of LocTite should do the trick. No need to mushroom them as well, unless you never intend to remove them again,
Thanks Troy! I appreciate it.

I tried to get the choke part out, and still couldn't was drilling it out and its welded. Ill keep trying. But this morning i ordered a carb from ebay, and comes with all thes tuff i broke. I hate to buy stuff and to get rid of parts like this. I always try to fix stuff as cheap as i can. I think the carb was 150$. This bike is getting expensive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got some goodies for the ascot! New led blinkers, new brake like, new master cylinder, vinyl pleather for the seat, filter cloth to make new filter. Now i need my battery. With the brake line i was able to push out the pistons and remove the rings, now i need a new rebuild kit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got around to looking at the ascot again. Hooked her up to the car and she starts on first fire. And idles perfectly. The carbs still seem a bit dirty, ill look into that. But the smoke has disappeared as well from the bike. Got my new led blinkers in the front only to find the speedo mounts have been broken. And the tail section was used as a rat or squirrel nest.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More time, more problems. I got my led lights in, but now i need a relay to make them blink normal. Im already $300 into this bike and the end is still not in sight.
I removed the seat and the leather on it, the seat foam was wet, soaking from years of being exposed in the air and water getting in through a rip.
Rodents chewed a electrical line.
My rpm cable is ripped at the middle
replaced the speedo bulbs with some trick led's
tried to repair my speedo mount bolts with some jb weld, hopefully it will firm up and work

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seems i take a step forward, and 5 steps back. Installed the led, and then lights in the instrument panel. All was well, blinker instrument dummy light, neutral etc were working. When i installe dhte rear leds, came back to the front and at first 1 bulb on the instrument was out. Then after a while 4 were out, turn signal indicator only works when left on. Neutral is not working.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts