Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,210 Posts
Nice to see you have it running well again.

Ascot speedway in California has a long history in several locations.

Reactions: motardsquid

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I went to start the bike,a nd nothing. New battery? why isn't it starting. I hooked it up to a portable batt and it started right up. WTF. Charging the battery now, but it doesnt seem to do anything. Voltage of the batt after a quick charge was 11.5, but when i hit the starter it went to .65. What could be the issue? Is the battery not charging? I've had it on the bike for about a week, and only now it doesnt want to start? Very curious.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,210 Posts
The battery is Dead !
Did you charge it when you got it?

Jump it with another battery like you did, and measure the voltage from the charging system. It should go up to 13.5 to 14.5 volts when you rev it over 3000 RPM.

Reactions: motardsquid

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,052 Posts
Could also be something similar to what happened on your Shadow ride. Something happens which causes a wire or component to move, touching a ground or something else. Increased current draw, and dead battery... Though at least you weren’t stranded this time!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I think i might have figured it out. I bought the batt online, and i think i might have not followered the instructions well. I filled it with acid, then just plopped it in the bike. Apparently that is not the way to do it. So i guess what i have to do is try to get it reconditioned or buy a new one.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,210 Posts
Give it a long slow 1 amp charge and it may come back strong.

Reactions: Troy Jollimore

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,699 Posts
There’s a few brand new bikes very similar, but with modern conveniences...
Initially it looks that way, there are no doubt significant improvements in suspension, electronics and brakes.
The more you look though the more it becomes obvious that one would probably have to go to a bigger heavier bike to match the engine power/acceleration and the shaft drive will probably be a chain.

I'm thinking a modern Rebel 500 as a quick direct example from Honda's current offerings would quickly get its a** caught by the Ascot.
It has been a long time since I rode a VT500, but BITD they were wow! Not my kind of bike, but left an impression that stuck.
A Rebel 500 by comparison looks like fun with a spoonful of modern Honda "meh" stirred in.
The Rebel probably hits the current target market better, times change, the VT500 wasn't much of a seller in North America anyway, but even in 2021 most of the engineering of it still directly lives on in the dwindling days of the 750 Shadow, so it was a well milked cow in that sense.

A great bike and hats off to @motardsquid and the other members here that truly appreciate the VT500, I could make a list, but you know who you are (-: , keep the fun happening!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Very interesting. I still would pick a vt500 over a rebel 500. The vtwin and shaft drive are what i like.
Honda is making many parallel twins lately, i think thats what they are replacing all vtwins with. It's easy to manufacturer, get good mpg. I bought a honda ctx700 yesterday, and was thinking that the previous owner chopped the exhaust to make it sound like a vtwin. What i like about the vt500 is that it's not pretending to be anything other than what it is. It's like wood floors. I like wood floors, but can't stand tile or other material that mimcs wood floors. Not sure if that makes sense :).

What bikes are closest to the vt500 in 2020?

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
Closest actual bike is the 750 Phantom.
Closest in spirit to the original VT500 is IMO the Kawasaki Vulcan S.
There in lies the dilemma.

If I didn't know about the potential hassle of the "no longer available" parts I'd also pick the VT500 over the ctx700 as a daily rider, due to the fun level, but that's one of those personal choice things.

My kitchen ceramic floor is going back to wood, one of those choice/trade-off things.
I don't mind the ceramic floor, I laid it about 10 years ago after repeated requests and have come to grips with dropped glasses disintegrating and the occasional tile replacement, but my wife has decided she want's the maple planks I buried back and I want another bike, so.... (-;

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
I stumbled across this on a search for something unrelated and thought it might be of interest:

Scoot down the page to HRA Product Development History
and click on Powersports Concept & Styling Design, right there in the list at 1982, the Ascot.
So there is good old Californian dreaming that worked its way into that VT500 version, some might think that would make it worth extra. (-:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks CSroad! That is interesting who developed the ascot. I didnt not expect it.

I havent ridden the ascot in a few weeks, don't want to dirty it up with the snow.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts