Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi can anyone help me with my cam chain adjustment as my clymer manual does not give any information. Hope you can help.

·
Registered
177 Posts
According to the official Honda Service Manual there is no adjustment. If the cam chain is worn/stretched, it needs to be replaced.
Here is a direct quote from the manual: "Measure the amount of the cam chain tensioner projects as shown (there is an illustration). Replace the cam chain with a new one if the projection exceeds 9.0mm (0.35 in)."
You need two chains and the part is obsolete. Here is some info from partzilla.com
214401-MF5-004
CHAIN, CAM
$157.80 $157.802PART OBSOLETE

14401-MF5-003
CHAIN, CAM

14401-MF5-000
CHAIN, CAM

14401-MF5-013
CHAIN, CAM

314510-MF5-772
TENSIONER, CAM CHAIN
$106.44 $106.442PART OBSOLETE

The 83 & 84 Ascot share the same engine as the vt500c. It may be easier to find the parts in the UK than in the USA.

If it is just a little noise try to live with it.

Good luck,
Chuck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Chuck, will check the adjuster but looks like I will put up with it until I can brave a engine out job. Thanks for the links and info.

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
I was gonna suggest that the tensioner on our motors takes care of "adjusting" the cam chains for the life of the chain...
But when all the tensioner uses up all its "adjustability" the chain needs replacement...

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advise, I will check the tensioner to see if it has reached it's limit of auto adjustment. Going to also check again the valve gap is set right. Either way, I will keep riding until it's taken off the road in the summer (Harley time) and might look to change the chain if I can find one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally got to check the cam tensioner adjustment - the projections on both tensioners is 6mm. The tensioner for the rear cylinder was stuck and the wedges could not be moved with out a little pressure. Both tensioners now move freely, this as reduced some of the engine noise slightly and the bike seems livelier. As both chains are within the 9mm service limit I assume I can leave them in.

Are there any other things I should check, I know the engine has some ticking noises as normal but this seems a little more than normal. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I accidentally took out the rear cylinder cam chain tensioner bolts. Anyone have a trick to get them back in without removing the engine from the frame?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
You don't have to remove the engine just the head covers. But there's a humongous number of TDC, BDC, on which cylinder, that has to be in alignment, and on which stroke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts