Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have ideas on how to squeeze more hp/torque performance out of these motors. I've heard Honda has them tuned out pretty tight, but just wondering.
Thinking of trading for a second one-wouldn't touch the first-and turning it into a bobber with considerably more attitude.

·
Registered
586 Posts
you won't get much more than having it in it's best working order. i feel people are afraid to rev it high enough open it up and it will move pretty good.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey ernie, I'm not afraid to push the rpm when accelerating but i have noticed on my 500 that after coming up in the gears, I have a fuel starvation around 7,000 rpms when i get to 3rd or 4th gear. Do you have anything like that?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do you have aftermarket pipes? I have Jarden slip ons a K&N filter and mine did the same thing until I put a jet kit in. Now it's good to redline with no problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
89 Posts
yeah, it has straight pipes on, with stock jets in the carb, never thought of the pipes causing that problems, it runs like a champ otherwise.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, it's the old back pressure deal. I have the Dyna Jet jet kit and would recomend it to anyone with aftermarket pipes on their 500's.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I would recommend the jets also the deference is amazing. I about slid off my seat the first time I really opened her up, not that that is hard concerning the hard slick wood surface.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
60 Posts
In my opinion if your bike is factory you won't see much change. On the other hand if you have more flow through your intake and exhaust the bike will need more fuel to run it's best. It's about keeping your air fuel mix in the optimal zone.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am currently running the stock set up. Was thinking of dumping the power box/factory exhaust for the Mac duals, had talked to several people who said it wasn't necesary to reject making that change-however-I see opinions here are different.

Shooter

·
Registered
60 Posts
With slip ons like the Mac pipes the jet kit is not necesary but makes a welcome addition. I didn't need the jet kit untill I put the K&N filter into the mix on top of the Jardine slip ons. The Macs and the Jardines both still have baffles in them where straight pipes typicaly don't have baffles, or very minimal baffles, so will usually need new jets even without any changes on the intake side.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Also, make sure that your tires are properly inflated. Even slightly lower pressure causes a heavy drag causing you to use more throttle. And put the bike up on the center stand and rotate the wheels to make sure that they are turning freely. These may seem to be small and insignificant things, but they do make a difference.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have had issue with the carb vents at speed. if the vent tubes are missing you can get a loss of power around 60mph was where I hit it till I figured out I was missing the tubes. as for straight pipes without back pressure you need to rejet or get back pressure. also with changing the air cleaner. you will upset the balance in the vacuum system with a free flowing air cleaner. this will throw off the system a bit and require some kind of compensation. I have traced many a poor running bike to a small crack in the snorkel. I am not saying it can't be done I am just saying this is not the easiest bike to try to get more performance from.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
I bought an 1983 Shadow 500 new in 83 and it had PLENTY of Power. and an overdrive 6th gear. It was a GREAT Bike and in many ways better then my current ride a 2001 Shadow Spirit ! :p

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Alot also depends on your elevation when running straight pipes and not having to rejet.

Like my 500. I modified my stock head pipes with 14" extensions and small lolliepop baffles. Resealed my air snorkle and set my A/F @ 3.25 or 3.50 turns out. I forget...lol I have stock air filter.

I also used a laser temp gun on my pipes to help tune it. They are within 5-10 degrees of eachother. No pops on decel. But I haven't had it up to 60 yet. She's not legal, so I've just been riding in my hood. So about up to 30-40mph.

She is freakin fast. I can't believe how hard she pulls. No rejet and I'm at sea level. This bike would have smoked my 04 883 hugger when i had it.

The need for rejet with a simple pipe change or modification will vary from bike to bike when speaking geographically.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, it's the old back pressure deal. I have the Dyna Jet jet kit and would recomend it to anyone with aftermarket pipes on their 500's.

What size jets did you use I heard 45 for the pilot and 140 for the main

1 - 16 of 16 Posts