Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just got a new gas tank in the mail this week. I am planning on repainting both fenders and this new tank, however it has a decent amount of rust in it, not flaking at all but enough surface rust to need removal. Wondering if anyone has some easy ways to get rid of the rust. Also I plan on doing a little chop job on my bike this winter and know that i'll be replacing the old tank with the new one before spring. Wondering if it would be best to simply store the bike without the old tank on or to leave the old one on until I replace it with the new one?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
only question about that is how did you prevent the sealer from clogging the hole to the petcock? Just shove a towel or something in there?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Make sure the strainer is out of it, plug it when you first put in the liner, slosh it around til you know the entire tank is coated, than unplug the drain and get as much of the access liner to come out. The kit instructions usually give a time to go by.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Al foil all squished up can make a great "plug" for about anything - I have used wads of Al foil to plug exhaust ports, fuel tank inlets etc.
It will crush into about any shape you need, won't dissolve, does not absorb liquids, is not flammable etc.
Just don't use it all up or there could be bad consequences when the cook of the house needs some ;)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh trust me I'm a huge fan of aluminum foil. Surprisingly it removes rust better than anything. I'll try that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.